BT DTR-T2100 no internet connection

markkmarkk Member Posts: 3
I have a BT DTR-T2100.
Software 32.128.0 / 3.7.164, last update check on 19 Feb.

As of a few days ago, the box is unable to connect to internet. I'm sure everything else (router etc.) is working.

There are two LEDs above the RJ45 ethernet port on the box. Neither are lit. Does that indicate a hardware fault?

Tried powering off then on, no change.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 February 2022, 11:36PM
    Greetings @markk, and welcome to the Community!

The LEDs not lit means there is no traffic to or from the box. Could be the box; could be the cable; could be, if you don’t have a direct cable to the router, either of the PLAs linking box to router over the mains.

First, try a soft reset; press the On/Standby button on the set for just over 8 seconds, until you see on the TV that it is resetting, and let it go through that process.

If still no go, work through
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/error-messages/fix-for-yvm102/
    and report back.

If still no go, we have more drastic resets for you to try.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • markkmarkk Member Posts: 3
    Tried soft reset and power off/on (using switch on back of unit), no change.
    The box is connected to a wired-wireless bridge box. The bridge is working correctly, my laptop could connect through it.

Strangely, the internet connection started working again a few days ago, but now it's gone again.

Broadband Connection in Settings mentions YVM102.
    markk said:
    Tried soft reset and power off/on (using switch on back of unit), no change.
    The box is connected to a wired-wireless bridge box. The bridge is working correctly, my laptop could connect through it.

Strangely, the internet connection started working again a few days ago, but now it's gone again.

Broadband Connection in Settings mentions YVM102.
    @markk

Time to try a Maintenance Mode reset then:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Pick the instructions for the T2100 and try Option 2, which at least keeps your recordings.

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • markkmarkk Member Posts: 3
    I think I have figured out a workaround.

If I power on the box at the mains, then after it has booted up completely turn on the wifi bridge box, it does seem to eventually detect the internet connection. However, if I turn on both Youview box and wifi bridge, so both are booting/initialising at the same time, the box fails to connect to internet.

The problem may have started after the software update to 3.7.164. I just managed to update box software to 3.7.216, so will cross fingers that the issue is fixed now.
    @markk

I would no more turn off a WiFi bridge than I would turn off my router, and expect everything to work.

And YouView boxes are designed, and intended, to be left on, at least in Standby, when not in use.

But logically, to operate with powering off, I would power up the bridge first and let it settle, and only then power up the YouView box, which will then see a clear path to the internet and connect straightaway.

The way you are doing it, box on first, means that the box sees no path to the internet at first, and you are utterly reliant on it retrying at intervals until the bridge has been powered on and allowed to settle down.

At a guess, when you power both on together, the box tries to connect, the bridge, as yet unsettled, says ‘Sure’ but can’t make the connection, and the YouView box doesn’t try again because it thinks it is connected, and the bridge doesn’t try again because it doesn’t think anything is wrong.

This is not, as they say, any way to run a railway 😢