switching broadband - how to re-engage set-top box

TiinarTiinar Member Posts: 13

I have recently switched from Virgin to Vodafone with my broadband, and my set-top box cannot "see" the new broadband/internet. I've tried looking at Settings/Broadband but there is nothing helpful there. How do I get to a place where I can replace the Virgin Media Wi-Fi name with the new Vodafone one?

If I have to reset, will I lose all my recordings?

Do I still need the ethernet cable?

Tiina

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Hi Tiina.
    I'm assuming your box isn't the new wireless Pro box.
    plug in the ethernet cable to your voda router and the youview box..then just follow the on screen guide. 
    All your recordings are safe and waiting for you.
    Enjoy. 

Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2022, 10:30AM
    @Tiinar

To slightly amplify the sound advice from @kodikid, above:-

You box isn’t WiFi, so you cannot make, and do not need, any WiFi settings on your YouView box.

Yes you still need the Ethernet cable.

Connect it as kodikid describes, and you probably won’t even need to change anything at all; it should just work.

But do please let us know if you have any further difficulties with this.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • TiinarTiinar Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for coming back to me on this. The problem is, the voda router is upstairs and the set-top box is downstairs...
    Me again. 
    Are we talking about a Virgin set top box?.
    If so that won't work now you've abandoned Virgin media. 
    If it's a non wifi youview box you will need to invest in "powerline adapters " (get them in argos) 
    Same principle, plug in the ethernet cable to the router and one of the adapters and repeat the process with the youview box downstairs. 
    Dead easy.
    Powerline adapters vary in price but I personally used to use the BT ones. 
    Enjoy. 

Tiinar said:
    Thanks for coming back to me on this. The problem is, the voda router is upstairs and the set-top box is downstairs...
    That’s a funny place for Vodaphone to install it, unless, as sometimes happens, you live on a steep slope so the bedrooms are at road level, and the living rooms look out over the slope.

Why was it moved from where the Virgin router was? And how is it connected to the internet? Via a BT Master Socket, or direct fibre or is it 4/5G?

If you can’t move the router nearer, then your options are a pair of PowerLine Adaptors or a nanorouter, which effectively makes the YouView box a WiFi device; I use one of these because my BT router only has three free ports, these are all in use, and this way was easier than trying to shoehorn my Ethernet switch into the understairs cupboard where the router has to sit with all the other electronic gubbins, including the eight-way distro box that pumps TV (OTA and satellite), FM and Ethernet into every room (except the utility room, much to my wife’s displeasure).
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 17 March 2022, 11:55AM
    kodikid said:
    Me again. 
    Are we talking about a Virgin set top box?.
    If so that won't work now you've abandoned Virgin media. 
    If it's a non wifi youview box you will need to invest in "powerline adapters " (get them in argos) 
    Same principle, plug in the ethernet cable to the router and one of the adapters and repeat the process with the youview box downstairs. 
    Dead easy.
    Powerline adapters vary in price but I personally used to use the BT ones. 
    Enjoy. 

Good point about the set-top box; I’ve been assuming it was a YouView box, given where we are, but @Tiinar hasn’t actually said that…. 😢
    Hi guys - sorry, I've been away. Thanks for taking an interest in my predicament! Some more info for you:
    1. The router has always been upstairs - don't ask me why. The difference between the two is that the Virgin router (which we had for ages) had an Ethernet cable that connected to my desktop computer (in the same room) whereas the new Vodafone router just has a cable coming out of the WAN socket, going into a little black box on the wall.
    2. My set-top box is definitely a Youview one, and nothing was changed downstairs when the new router was installed. The ethernet cable from the set-top box goes into what appears to be a powerline adaptor - it has two white cables going into the top of it.
    @Tiinar

Does you router look like the one on page 4 here?
    https://www.vodafone.co.uk/cs/groups/public/documents/webcontent/vfcon098518.pdf
    If not, can you please post a picture of it here, or at least find a model number on it and tell us that?

On the one shown above the red connector is for the cable to the WAN, either going to a BT Master socket, or if you have fibre, to a modem on the wall. And it sounds like what you have.

And on the one shown above, there are four yellow sockets, for your internal Ethernet connections.

If the Virgin router was more or less where the Vodafone router is now, then nothing much should have changed internally, though, so whatever you used to plug into the Virgin router, just plug it into a yellow socket on the Vodafone router.

And can you please also post a picture of what you think is the PowerLine Adaptor, as I don’t know why that would have two cables going into it (where do they lead? - one should go to the YouView box at least) though it’s possible.

But if it is indeed a PLA, then there should be another one up near the router, from which an Ethernet cable should lead to the router.

Is this the case?
    Thanks Roy - I'll get back to you in the morning with pics etc!
    Me again. 

Good thing about this forum is as well as experts we also have input from people like myself, no technical knowledge but have been using youview since its inception. 

So for the idiot viewpoint..

surely when swapping the Virgin router for the Voda one there would have been a surplus cable if it was connected like for like?. And who fitted the new router as any installer worth their salt would have replaced the cables that were obviously there for a reason. 

Also any PLA'S I've purchased have been single cabled, so I'm thinking for whatever reason at the moment the equipment just isn't inplace to connect router and youview box.

So for a simplified solution if it was me I would just start from scratch. 

I would invest in a set of PLA'S (only cheap) and just install them,
    again dead simple. 

Again speaking as someone will no tech knowledge even I know changing a router is one of the easiest jobs as apart from the power cable it really is unplug and replace in the same order.
    That's why I feel something is a miss here and best to start from the beginning with a new set of powerline adapters which I suspect at the moment are awol.
    Good luck.

Don't get me started on Vodaphone and their whole sales pitch which involved no technical questions of any kind regarding what equipment I had at home - the installer left the house saying everything will be working in a couple of hours. Not true - the internet did kick in after midnight but it was four days before I got to speak to someone who knew what he was talking about to sort out my email and landline. That night I was happy and then I noticed the set-top box issue a couple of days later...
    edited 26 March 2022, 8:59AM
    @kodikid

I am following exactly the same logic as you, but coming to a rather different conclusion.

Assuming the Vodafone router has LAN ports, and your conjecture that there must be a ‘surplus’ cable lying about (or more exactly, that whatever cable(s) were previously plugged into the Virgin router were not plugged into the Vodafone router when it was swapped for the Virgin router), then all that is necessary is for @Tiinar to find that cable or cables and plug them into the Vodafone router LAN ports (doesn’t matter which cable goes in which if there is more than one cable, as all the LAN ports are completely interchangeable).

It is vanishingly unlikely that whatever path that cable takes on its further journey to the YouView box, whether it goes through PLAs or wired faceplates, would have been disturbed in any way by installing the new router.

And about as unlikely as it having worked without PLAs previously, but now needing some.

And it’s not been my experience in the past that any broadband installer ever wired the LAN side of my router for me, and even wiring the WAN side was a bonus.
    My Vodaphone router is not the one that you sent me - it is a THG3000.
    Here are a couple of pics of what I believe to be powerline adaptors (these particular ones are TP-Link 500 Mbps). The one with the two white cables is the one downstairs - one of the cables is plugged into the back of the set-top box and the other goes to the DVD player.
    The one with two empty slots is upstairs. So, if these are PLAs, then have I understood correctly - I just need to get an Ethernet cable, plug one end into the PLA upstairs and the other end into one of the LAN sockets in the back of the router? Sadly, the Ethernet cable went back with the VM router (I assumed it belonged to them). Are there different sorts of Ethernet cable or do I just google Ethernet cable and the right one will come up??

edited 26 March 2022, 4:40PM
    Thanks @Tiinar

Photos and model numbers - excellent!

We live and learn - that is indeed a two-port PLA.

And yes - neither the YouView box nor the DVD player will be connected to the router unless you connect a pair of Ethernet cables from the upstairs PLA to two of the LAN ports on the router. (I’ve just looked it up, and you have four to play with).

But, but, but - why cable the DVD player? Is it so old that it doesn’t have WiFi, and yet new enough to have internet apps on it that still work? And which you use?

If that’s not the case - i.e. the DVD player can connect over WiFi anyway, or you don’t actually use the internet on it - then take the downstairs cable off the DVD player and the downstairs PLA, and use it to connect the upstairs PLA, using the same Left or Right port as you are using for the YouView box into the downstairs PLA*, to one of the empty LAN ports on the router (doesn’t matter which).

Actually, try it with the Ethernet cable from the DVD player anyway, and let’s see if we can get this YouView box working for you again 😛

And then you can use any new cable that you have to buy, if you actually need one for the DVD player, to get that back connected again, at your leisure (get CAT 6 or better, straight through not crossover, anything else is personal taste, e.g. flat or round).

Do keep us posted as to how you get on!

*So far, I have been totally unable to find out how having two ports works, and maybe one cable from the upstairs PLA to the router will cover both devices plugged in downstairs. Or maybe not, and you do need two cables, and Left and Right matters.

But as you talk about only having one cable from the PLA upstairs, then either this will have been covering both YouView box and DVD Player downstairs, or the DVD connection will never have worked, even before. The above investigation may give us a better clue as to which….
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 587 ✭✭
    @Roy, @Tiinarshould be able plug the cable into either side.

My PLA attached to the router only has one socket and I run 4 PLAs around the house from this, some single and some double ports with no problems whatsoever.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 603 ✭✭
    Don't think it really matters which of the 2 ports connected to which as I'm pretty certain that the individual PLAs act as 2-port switches.
    So now @Tiinar could use the DVD player's cable , as you suggest, to connect the other PLA to the router , certainly as a test before worrying about getting another cable.

Sadly, using the DVD cable hasn't worked - I still get "No information available" when I go back to yesterday or earlier on the Youview box. I've tried it in both ports.
    I've just had a thought, which will no doubt show up my woeful ignorance even more. Given that the old set-up was an ethernet cable going directly from the Virgin Media router into the back of my desktop computer, would it work if I got another internet cable, plugged it into the other port on the PLA upstairs and into my computer?
    edited 26 March 2022, 6:58PM
    @Tiinar

Go to Settings/Broadband Connection on the YouView box. What do you see?

Are there now three green lights showing on the upstairs PLA?

Try a flight of reboots - router first, then when it has settled, the upstairs PLA, then when that has settled, the downstairs PLA, and then finally the YouView box (touch On/Standby and keep your finger there for just over 8 seconds until it soft reboots).

I’ve no idea how you reset the PLAs; maybe a reset button somewhere, or failing that unplug them in turn for two minutes each.
    Tiinar said:
    I've just had a thought, which will no doubt show up my woeful ignorance even more. Given that the old set-up was an ethernet cable going directly from the Virgin Media router into the back of my desktop computer, would it work if I got another internet cable, plugged it into the other port on the PLA upstairs and into my computer?
    I don’t think this would have any bearing on the YouView box, so no, alas.

Try my advice immediately above.
    Settings/Broadband connection says: Your box is not connected to the internet/"We can't connect to the internet" and the "Wired" button is on.

I'll try the reboots - if they don't work, I might just give up...
    I have done all those things and nothing has changed - still get the same message when I go into Settings/Broadband connections.

There are three green lights on both PLAs - the top two lights on both of them flicker, whereas the bottom one is constant.

I'm going out for a walk now.
    Tiinar said:
    Settings/Broadband connection says: Your box is not connected to the internet/"We can't connect to the internet" and the "Wired" button is on.

I'll try the reboots - if they don't work, I might just give up...
    @Tiinar

”Wired” button?? None of my YouView boxes have a Wired button?

What model of YouView box have you got there? 

If it’s a new BT Pro box, I suppose it might have such a button? (@kodikid or other Pro box owners?)

In which case, try switching it off, and see if it offers you a WiFi connection you could make.
    All it offers is Wired and Help connecting.When you click on Wired, it goes to Configure your wired connection, where it tells you that you should have an ethernet cable connecting to the router and the box, and it offers Automatic connection, Manual connect, Help connecting and Cancel. It's the first place I went, to see if it offered me a Wifi connection but it doesn't.
    The model is DTR-T2000/GB/ITB. We've had it a while - I really can't remember when we bought it.
    We bought it in 2016
    Tiinar said:
    All it offers is Wired and Help connecting.When you click on Wired, it goes to Configure your wired connection, where it tells you that you should have an ethernet cable connecting to the router and the box, and it offers Automatic connection, Manual connect, Help connecting and Cancel. It's the first place I went, to see if it offered me a Wifi connection but it doesn't.
    The model is DTR-T2000/GB/ITB. We've had it a while - I really can't remember when we bought it.
    @Tinaar

Ah yes, I have two of these. Still the latest box from YouView themselves, and not superseded. And pulling the Ethernet connection out does indeed make the button top right say ‘Wired’.

The Help Connecting button shows graphically how to connect and pair PLAs - well worth a look to ensure you are doing things like that. And I am reminded that you should check the PLAs are directly in wall sockets, rather than on a mains extender cable.
    I pressed Automatic Connect and it just worked!!! Thank you so much for all your help, time and patience!