Replacing hard drive in Hauwei DNT372T box

joe942joe942 Member Posts: 1
Is it worth replacing hard drive or are other problems causing disk to fail.

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 587 ✭✭
    If you are a TalkTalk customer and want to continue recording, then replacing the hard drive is the only option to try. TalkTalk no longer provide boxes that record and have not done so for over a year now.

Bear in mind that changing the drive invalidates your contract with TalkTalk and they would be within their rights to charge you for a replacement box if you decided to ask them for a non recordable box in exchange.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I forgot to ask, have you done a factory reset as this will reformat your existing drive and may rescue the box for you.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2022, 11:38PM
    Greetings @joe942 and welcome to the Community!

Replacing a disc is very easy - you just make sure it’s a single partition and unformatted - which a disc would be if it was installed from new. Then install it in the box in place of the existing disc, and the box will partition it and format it, and load the software on it automagically.

One thing to know is that while the Humax boxes used by BT and YouView Retail will take advantage of the extra storage on bigger drives, the DN372 Huawei (sic) boxes won’t use more than the 320GB of the original,disc, so it’s pointless buying a bigger one..

I guess your dilemma is whether it is worth splashing out on such a new disc?

Well, you do have the most current TalkTalk recording box.

So - what are the symptoms you have?

Have you tried any Maintenance Mode options?
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

It usually takes an Option 5 to rescue a corrupted disc, assuming it still spins and has no hardware issues, but this does mean losing any recordings you may have, so it’s worth trying gentler options like 2 or 4 first.

If that doesn’t get it back, you might be able to look at the disc under Linux - you can use an ordinary Windows laptop or PC, booted from a Linux distro on a CD or USB stick, and some sort of Linux disc testing program.

I don’t know the gory details, but someone here might well know.

If the disc is bad and can’t be rescued, you have your answer. But if the disc is good, but still doesn’t work in the box, then it’s likely a hardware problem elsewhere, which is also an answer, albeit a different one.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 898 ✭✭
    As the current residential technical idiot I have difficulty understanding why anyone would bother changing the hard drive....surely it's cheaper just to replace the duff box??
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 March 2022, 9:30AM
    kodikid said:
    As the current residential technical idiot I have difficulty understanding why anyone would bother changing the hard drive....surely it's cheaper just to replace the duff box??
    Not quite - boxes tend to be £10-£20 dearer than a new HDD, and you never know quite what you are getting.

If you see a DN372T on eBay under £50, then generally it’s either faulty, incomplete, or it’s an auction still in progress,
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris