Switch OFF unnecessary error messages – especially YVM302.

Davely68Davely68 Member Posts: 1
My signal may not be strong enough for the YouView box's tastes, but it has sound and vision, and I don't need a sodding pop-up message saying my signal is poor FFS. I can tell, as a human being with eyes, if the signal isn't strong enough. Any way to switch OFF THE messages? I am SICK to f'ing death of switching the error messages off when the tv signal is fine.

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 868 ✭✭
    edited 2 April 2022, 8:55AM
    Good morning @Davely68,
    Welcome to the forum. Wouldn't it be great if Youview added a setting to turn off messages, but as much as it is annoying you, there is a reason and until solved, will keep reappearing.

A simple check to do is check your signal strength/quality via Youview TV settings menu for a wide range of channels. @Davely68, firstly which channels are causing the problem? All of them or certain ones? Try different channels eg. 111 QVC HD, 107 BBC news HD, 1, 4, 5, 101 bbc1 hd plus some of the very weak channels. Also try the same exercise via TV's own built in tuner.

If you are getting 100/100 signal on 101 then signal is excellent, if on 107 (that picks up interference due to tech problems discussed on this forum) signal /quality is very low eg 60/50 it varies depending on area, then you may need to check your aerial setup to improve signal. HDMI cables can cause a lot of issues with some channels cutting out. Have you also tried doing a total retune? Unplugging aerial, tuning channels to clear channel memory, then replugging aerial and retuning again? In a lot of cases, it can work.

More help can be found, if you need details. Please let forum know if you need more help. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 603 ✭✭
    The figures you're looking for regards signal quality & strength vary depending on whether you have a Humax/BT box or a Huawei box.
    The BT units have inferior tuners and suffer from overly strong or weak signals and the ideal figures are quality 100% and strength in the range of 80-90%. A strength figure of 100% will seriously overload the tuners causing all sorts of issues.
    The Huawei units seem far more resilient in my limited experience of them , in my daughter's case hers is OK at a strength figure of 50% with only heavy rain affecting the picture.

But back to the question , yes it would be nice if Youview ever gave us the option to customise our interface to our likings and enable/disable some features like messages that referred to here but it ain't ever going to happen as the customer experience is only ever what Youview (BT&TalkTalk included) want us to have.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭
    Davely68 said:
    My signal may not be strong enough for the YouView box's tastes, but it has sound and vision, and I don't need a sodding pop-up message saying my signal is poor FFS. I can tell, as a human being with eyes, if the signal isn't strong enough. Any way to switch OFF THE messages? I am SICK to f'ing death of switching the error messages off when the tv signal is fine.
    Welcome to the f..f..forum  :)
    If all else fails you could try installing  an aerial signal booster.
    For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254215968817?epid=23003305820&hash=item3b3073d831:g:hLgAAOSwPb1cyEmW
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    jimb said:
    Davely68 said:
    Welcome to the f..f..forum  :)
    If all else fails you could try installing  an aerial signal booster.
    For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254215968817?epid=23003305820&hash=item3b3073d831:g:hLgAAOSwPb1cyEmW
    And the C..C..Community 😛
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Hello

Not wishing to trivialise your predicament and I'm sure it's really annoying but....
    is it really that time  consuming or effort  inducing to just get rid by pressing the "OK" button. 

Just saying 

Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Hello

Not wishing to trivialise your predicament and I'm sure it's really annoying but....
    is it really that time  consuming or effort  inducing to just get rid by pressing the "OK" button. 

Just saying 

You've obviously never experienced this. 
    The answer is yes - why do you think the OP is so angry about this?
    If the signal is weak the message keeps popping up over and over again. 
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 April 2022, 7:52PM
    jimb said:
    kodikid said:
    Hello

Just saying 

You've obviously never experienced this. 
    The answer is yes - why do you think the OP is so angry about this?
    If the signal is weak the message keeps popping up over and over again. 
    The problem isn't necessarily that the signal is weak. The error message would appear if the signal strength is high and the signal quality is low. Boosting a strong signal could make the problem worse.
    We could offer more informed advice if the OP took @John L's advice to check the signal strength and quality readings, and post them here.