Youview Still Work If?

Dolly19Dolly19 Member Posts: 1
I there I've been given v conflicting info from Talk Talk.

Will the Youview box still Work If I leave Talk Talk and go to a different Fibre Provider.  Most importantly pause live Tv using the Netflix, IPlayer app.  Recording would be a bonus but not important. 

Pause live TV most important.  Anyone know if Talk Talk Will want the box back?  I will check on Talk Talk page too.

Thank you

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 587 ✭✭
    It depends on when your contract started and / or if you have ever had a replacement if TalkTalk request the box back.

If the box was part of a contract where at the end of the contract it became yours, then it remains yours unless you have had a replacement when TalkTalk can request it back as the replacement is theirs and replaces your own box.

If it is yours to keep all functionality will continue to work except for recordings you may have made from any boost channels, and any films you may have bought from the store will probably become inaccessible.

It should also continue to receive updates too, although there is a question mark over whether this is possible on the future fibre plans.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 603 ✭✭
    edited 2 April 2022, 2:30PM
    The box will still work as a normal Freeview recorder , live pause & all.
    As for returning it that depends on your contract details at the time & whether it might have been replaced at some point.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 April 2022, 3:14PM

(Snip good stuff)

It should also continue to receive updates too, although there is a question mark over whether this is possible on the future fibre plans.

There is? How would that work (or rather not work)?

Are you saying that out-of-contract boxes wouldn’t get updates over fibre, but would over copper, or that no TalkTalk YouView boxes will get updates any more, cruelly abandoned for NetGem, or what exactly?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited 2 April 2022, 4:10PM
    Youview parsay has ( or was in the case of talk talk)  hijacked by said companies....it is and always will be a free service. 
    Your limited applications, recording abilities and live pause will continue to work perfectly.
    no updates......
    sounds like bliss. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    @Roy it's what I have been told, which is why the Netgem is being offered.

I must admit I find this difficult to believe and I did ask @Sarah for her comments on this under another thread recently, but so far have not received a reply. If there is an incompatibility on FTTP contracts, hopefully YouView will be aware and be working on a solution.

TalkTalk are sending out pre paid postage bags for customers YouView boxes when Netgems are supplied, which has caused a few enquiries as to why, similar to those leaving BT and being asked for boxes back.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    @Stevef_fr8ys

Hmm, I wonder if there is anyone here on an out-of-contract TalkTalk box on FTTP who can comment on whether they can still get updates or not?

But my own vanishingly unlikely YouView story is from when I had Film Four go black on me, on YouView, while Film Four+ was fine, and both were fine direct on my TV, and I was the only one who reported it, as far as I know, and @Sarah took it up with Channel 4, and they fixed something, and the picture came back.

So now I am prepared to believe in other vanishingly unlikely YouView issues being true, at least initially.

Fortunately, all my YouView boxes are working like champs over FTTP, though as two of them are BT boxes and my FTTP is from BT, I suppose they dand well should 🙂

No doubt TalkTalk will be offering the same foot-shuffling reasons as BT did about asking for their boxes back to help us save the planet?

And NetGem boxes will firmly stay TalkTalk’s property; though I doubt there would be a grey market in them, like there is in BT Pro boxes.

BTW, was it really only at contract end that TalkTalk boxes became the customer’s property? People often said that about BT boxes, but in the days when BT did relinquish ownership, it was actually on customer receipt, up to 24 months before contract end.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    @Roy, re contracts, without the benefit of the old original contracts, and reading the small print, I couldn't say whether it was the beginning or end, but I seem to recall it was always said at the end of the contract you get to keep the box. I think there were some very old threads with people breaking contracts and moaning that they were asked to return the box having paid up the early breakage fee.

It's probably academic too as I would guess most people would have had a replacement box at some stage knowing how flakey the TalkTalk boxes are!
    Oh and re the Netgem boxes, unlike YouView, TalkTalk don't take over retail boxes and apply a skin. If they are bought on the grey market though, they will retain their TalkTalk UI and presumably be traceable as there are different means of updating retail boxes and TalkTalk and other companies using the Netgem boxes by some registering means (SN?).
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 April 2022, 3:43PM
    Unless TalkTalk YouView boxes can magically discern exactly what kind of flavour their broadband connection is, I fail to see how they can not receive updates over the internet for as long as they remain available. 
    redchiz said:
    Unless TalkTalk YouView boxes can magically discern exactly what kind of flavour their broadband connection is, I fail to see how they can not receive updates over the internet for as long as they remain available. 
    Me too, but as said there is uncertainty within TT that they will be able to with FF lines, which is why I have asked @sarah to comment.
    @Stevef_fr8ys Isn't it just a case of TalkTalk deprecating the use of their YouView boxes going forwards and a sales uplift for their Full Fibre customers? In another word, marketing?
    I'm glad we have cleared that up.  🙂