Youview Ethernet failed + plus factory reset = now stuck at setup

AndyAndy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
As per title, is there anyway to boot the box up from a factory reset without an internet connection.

My box was otherwise functioning fine for TV and recording, but an attempt was made to reset something/anything to restore internet and annoyingly I chose factory reset from maintenance menu without realising it uses this as part of the setup.

Can this step be bypassed somehow so I can go back to my recordings at least, even if internet is still failing.

Cheers
Andy

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 587 ✭✭
    No, sorry, it's no longer possible to set up the box without an internet connection.
  • AndyAndy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I expected this was the answer, but hoped it wasn't, Thanks 👍
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 April 2022, 4:00PM
    @Andy

Cold comfort I know, but you probably haven’t got any recordings now anyway, as a Factory Reset deletes these 😢

If you had posted here before trying it, we could have told you about some gentler resets, though probably to no avail. Since if the Ethernet doesn’t come back after a reset, Factory or gentler, but especially after a Factory one, then absent a problem in the Ethernet cabling back to the router, which hopefully you already eliminated as a possible issue, your YouView box has had it.

A YouView box with an Ethernet fault, but still getting TV and making and playing recordings, is a bit like like Wile E. Coyote when he has run off the cliff edge, and before he notices that.

I always think it’s a bit doctrinaire of YouView boxes not to time out on their attempts to phone home after a reset, and it’s something we have asked for in the past, but it would apparently cause too much of a ripple in the Force if YouView allowed this 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Hi Roy,

Regarding recordings, I had 2 factory reset options to pick from, keep/delete recordings. I chose the keep option, so I had and do hope they are still there somewhere.

I had tracked the issue to the youview box, with router, cables and PLA's all working on other equipment, including a backup youview box, so I'm sure as can be that it's the youview ethernet port that's failing.

I tend to agree with your 3rd paragraph 🤣 although my wife would still consider this box in particular to be fully functional if she could get her recordings back!

My fault entirely with not checking the factory reset procedure before hand, although I already knew the box did not 'require' internet to 'work', so in my haste to reset, I had assumed this would not be a setup requirement. I agree it should timeout or maybe have a skip for later option, but oh well.

Perhaps they'll put this in the next update....oh wait...🤔🤣
    @Andy

Looks like you found the Maintenance Mode options then, not just the Factory Reset in the YouView box Settings.

So your recordings probably are still there then, although inaccessible.

There’s no published warning anywhere that I know of that resetting a YouView box with internet problems can effectively brick it, except what you might find in postings in this Community, so you would have had to do quite some research to be forearmed for this happenstance.

It would be nice, @Sarah, if YouView would remedy this, though preferably by making such a warning unnecessary, rather than by publishing one.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    @Sarah I would be willing to test a special USB recovery image that can skip past internet setup 😁
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Andy - which box manufacturer and model are we talking about here?
    Hi @Stephen, It's an out of contract BT DTR T2100 produced by Humax I believe.
    Ok you might be in luck if your software was up-to-date, thanks to @Roy (even though he doesn't know it yet) - I need to check something tomorrow, but I'll get back to you.
    Ooh, sounds intriguing and I now have more hope than I did before🤞😁

I really appreciate the help, whatever the result may be 👍
    edited 11 April 2022, 8:08AM
    Stephen said:
    Ok you might be in luck if your software was up-to-date, thanks to @Roy (even though he doesn't know it yet) - I need to check something tomorrow, but I'll get back to you.
    @Stephen

He certainly doesn’t 😛 What might tomorrow bring? Has Stephen given us an Easter Egg? All agog….
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭
    Stephen said:
    Are you able to share the outcome of this @Stephen
    Yeah, so I've been PMing Andy and it looks like his box might have not got the latest software so no joy yet.
    But as of around March there is an easter egg in Setup (as suggested by Roy) which should allow you to bypass steps if your networking hardware/setup is having a problem that means you can't connect at all. It's untested though (or rather only tested on network-ok boxes), so I'd rather people PM me if they need it so I can step them through and/or improve things if needs be.
    So all avenues made available to me have been exhausted with no success.

I suppose I do not have the relevant (or newer) software that would have helped in this situation.

I'm sure I had the latest available, but perhaps with it being a BT subscribed device, it had the latest that BT were rolling out, if not the latest from Youview. It would have only been days between Ethernet failure and the factory reset, but I suppose that may have been a critical few days with a missed update.

I can't confirm of course, but it may be possible my particular ethernet failure mode somehow prevents a workaround, despite having the relevant software.

Not sure if USB recovery is made available to end users, but this may be the only way out for me.

Thanks to @Stephen for your interest in my problem and the help you provided, much appreciated.
    To everyone playing along at home, we managed to do a bit of fiddling with USB sticks yesterday evening and after a false start or two on my part got Andy's box back to a useable (no networking) state. All's well that ends well.

So anyone else with a similar problem on a box that is still being supported with software updates we can help out.
    Thanks Stephen, I wanted to update in the public area but wasn't sure what I could or couldn't say lol

First class support from Stephen with one happy customer and one very happy wife  :D  
    @Stephen @Andy

Result!

Congratulations to both of you 🥳