No internet

mandy63mandy63 Member Posts: 5
I've had no internet now for months on my youview box. We recently changed the password for it but I can't find anywhere to put in the new password on the box. Also now things are saying they are recording but they aren't. I can't also start to record a new programme as it won't record 

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 868 ✭✭
    edited 8 April 2022, 11:55AM
    Hi @mandy63,
    Welcome to the forum. What steps have you tried so far? When you mention no internet for months  . . . my first thought is . . .  how long!? I would have been frustrated with no internet & no recordings & wanted it fixed asap. Glad you found this forum. Have you tried unplugging Youview pvr & seeing if it connects. You could also try a Soft reset (Press Power button for 8 seconds) and the box will totally restart. That's the first basic check.

To check internet on Youview pvr, if you go into setting menu (how do I do this I hear you ask . . .  top of the page on home screen, top right, click on settings cog and then once in settings, select Broadband connection (2nd icon along on settings menu) & check status. If not connected, try reconnecting.  If this doesn't work, then depending on your setup, you need to check either your Router is ok (does your internet work for other things around home) or if you use Powerline adaptors, then they may need reseting/repairing to match to your router. 

Hopefully I have given you some starting tips. Hope this helps & please let forum know how you get on/if you need more help. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • mandy63mandy63 Member Posts: 5
    Hi John, yes I’ve re set and disconnected everything. We changed passwords on our router and then this happened. So I’m presuming this is why. Is there anyway of being able to in put the new password on the box? Also I don’t understand why nothing will record now. It’s still saying it’s recording a programme but it’s not recording it.
    edited 8 April 2022, 3:38PM
    Hi @mandy63,
    Well you could try a maintenance mode OPTION 2 (to KEEP recordings) & see if this works. 
    Top of this page, type in "maintenance mode" under the search bar for help/support. You will then be guided to a detailed instruction for your model & more importantly what to do. Take your time. Once you get the knack, you should be able to reset box & hopefully thsi will solve your problems. As before, please let us know how you get on. John L

P.S. the password shouldn't make any difference if you can still access settings. (correct me anyone on forum if I am wrong) The default password is 1234, but will have been changed by you maybe? My guess if lost, you will have to do full factory reset, losing recordings, BUT you don't want to do that (!). Hopefully the above info will work.
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Hi John thanks I will do this later and let you know.
    mandy63 said:
    No problem @mandy63. Hopefully you will get it fixed for the Weekend. John L
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April 2022, 9:41PM
    mandy63 said:
    @mandy63

If I understand you correctly, you changed your WiFi password, and are wondering where you can input this on the YouView box?

But you can’t, as it isn’t a WiFi device, but the good news is you don’t need one, as devices with an Ethernet connection don’t require this.

But I wonder how your YouView box is connected to the router? If it is at all? As this needs a wire, an Ethernet cable as it is called, that goes from the YouView box to the router, either directly, or via PLAs (PowerLine Adaptors) at each end, with one wired to the YouView box and the other to the router, each by a short Ethernet cable, and the signals going over the mains between them.

If you haven’t established a successful working internet connection to the YouView box, then don’t, whatever you do, try a Maintenance Mode reset, or it will not be possible to get your box working again.

Regarding recordings, these don’t rely on the internet, so this is a separate issue, unless there is a problem with the box that affects both.

Generally though, existing recordings on a box that can’t record can’t be rescued, and sometimes not even the box itself. But first, you need to get the internet connection working, if you are to make any progress at all.

What is the model of your YouView box? If it’s one of the original black T1000s, it’s really not worth trying to save it; but those that start T2 or T4 are still current, and worth spending some effort on.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 8 April 2022, 7:40PM
    I assumed @mandy63 was talking about Youview box in 1st message and not her router, but good points @Roy.  A bit of confusion here @mandy63, if you are on a contract with BT/Talktalk, you should have contacted them a while back as you are paying for their service/support. Have you checked that your enthernet (broadband) cable is connected to your Youview box, as box is not WiFi as @Roy mentioned?

Quite a few users inc. myself own their boxes and are not supported by a ISP, have to figure out how to fix each time, gaining a lot of practical knowledge along the way! Hopefully, your box will be working ok again very soon. John L
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 603 ✭✭
    It's very important that you tell us what Youview box you have as the assumption is that it is not wifi enabled , unless you have the latest BT Pro box of course.

Hi after hours of trying to sort this out last night I eventually thought, go and connect it to a different Ethernet port. It worked. But I still can’t record on it or cancel a recording that is set to record. My box is human dtr 2110. 
    I will factory reset it once I have watched all the things I have recorded on it.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April 2022, 12:25PM
    mandy63 said:
    Hi after hours of trying to sort this out last night I eventually thought, go and connect it to a different Ethernet port. It worked. But I still can’t record on it or cancel a recording that is set to record. My box is human dtr 2110. 
    I will factory reset it once I have watched all the things I have recorded on it.
    @mandy63

That’s a BT Retail recording box, does need Ethernet wire, doesn’t have WiFi.

Now you have got the internet working on it again, it is safe to try a Maintenance Mode reset, Option 2 or Option 4, as per:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/
    following the instructions for your particular model, as these vary slightly from model to model.

This will get the box as best it can be, while still keeping your recordings.

I do have to say that usually a box that is having recording troubles does need an Option 5 (same as the Factory Reset in Settings), so you may prefer your plan of just watching your recordings and then Factory Resetting it.

But it can’t hurt to try Option 2 or Option 4 right now, and see if that fixes it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    ok thanks I will try it.