Power socket that tells you if your electricity is from renewable sources

joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭
edited 10 April 2022, 8:54PM in Community
This piece on the BBC News website caught my eye:
There is a rumour that Youview are in the process of developing a new standby mode that will make full use of this clever new power socket.
When the new mode is enabled and the box is plugged into one of these sockets, it will run entirely on renewable energy.
The new mode will appear in the Settings Menu alongside Smart and High Eco. It will be labelled BS mode.
:)

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I just had to check the date. No it's not!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    I think they set it up on the 1st, but they had to wait for some green energy to come along before they could distribute it to us.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭
    It's not. It's a product from a company called Measurable Energy.
    According to their website: The m.e Power Socket is a like-for-like replacement that cant (sic) be tampered with.
    The idea is that the socket detects if a Small Power Usage device has been left on when not in use. If such a device is detected the socket turns the power off.
    The smart socket is itself a Small Power Usage device, not to mention the power used in its manufacture and its disposal at the end of its useful ( :|) life. Also the energy usage and cost of mining, refining and manufacture of its components.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 587 ✭✭
    So how does it detect you are using renewable energy through your supplier?

You started the scepticism by labelling it BS (albeit in relation to YV).
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭
    So how does it detect you are using renewable energy through your supplier?

You started the scepticism by labelling it BS (albeit in relation to YV).
    It's wifi connected so it can get data from the national grid, in the same way this does:

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero-stories/app-helps-you-work-out-how-green-your-power
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April 2022, 11:40AM
    jonesh said:

The idea is that the socket detects if a Small Power Usage device has been left on when not in use. If such a device is detected the socket turns the power off.

Then I’m certainly not plugging the nine-way tower feeding our AV setup into one, only to have it ‘know best’ and turn off my YouView box midway through an update 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 898 ✭✭
    You can fool some of the people....

Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of cynicism above, but I've had a look through their website and I think it's very impressive. 
    I don't think it's aimed at individual consumers, it's more about managing power in large buildings. 
    And they've got at least one significant financial backer:  https://www.thegazette.io/Detailed/Environment/measurable.energy_secures_financing_to_begin_scale-up_operations_of_its_Machine_Learning_and_IoT_platform_175.shtml
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Reminiscent of a series I watched recently on apple...about a woman who had fooled several prominent bankers  to literally invest millions in a blood testing machine that would trace all blood conditions...pure bull but she fooled a lot of people before she was rumbled. 
    Ignore this if you disagree.