Humax box stuck

fivedogsfivedogs Member Posts: 2
edited 25 April 2022, 7:08PM in Community
My box wouldn’t switch on so I switched off/on at the plug. Now it’s stuck and won’t load up and the box says ‘please wait’. Any advice greatly appreciated 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭
    Greetings @fivedogs, and welcome to the Community!

You don’t say what your YouView device is - the model number would be useful here,

If you can tell what the box model is though (something like DTR-T2nnn perhaps, where nnn stands for three more digits) and how it is connected to your router, who your ISP is, and whether the box is on subscription or not, we can help you much better.

For the moment though, the power cycle you gave it was a good thing to do; the next step is to touch the On/Standby button for just over 8 seconds, and hope that this will perhaps make it soft reboot, and even come back to life.

Try this, and please post again with the results, and the additional information asked for above!
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • fivedogsfivedogs Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your swift reply and I’ll do my best with the info needed. Model number DTR-T1000 500gb and connected to my router via Ethernet cable and my isp is EE and is not on subscription. I attempted to hold the on/standby button for 8 seconds, however this button seems to be stuck and does not switch on/off by this method. I’m not very technical so I hope I’ve given you the info you need and thank you for trying to help. I’m wondering if the box is just old (like me) 😊
    edited 26 April 2022, 8:05AM
    @fivedogs

That’s a pretty old box now, and it may well have died 😢

But try this:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

following the instructions for the T1000.

Option 1 is the equivalent of a soft reset.

Option 2 is a bit more drastic, but still keeps your recordings; however, it tries to contact YouView as it comes out of this sort of reboot, and if it can’t, because it’s faulty, then it’s game over and no way back.
    (@Stephen I think this is still the case for T1000s, yes?)

So only try Option 1 for now, and report back.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • omendataomendata Member Posts: 17
    Just fit a new hard drive easily fixed all the boxes go wrong mainly with a corruption in the boot sector or linux main partition on the disk surface i have one on my desk now with exactly this fault - sometimes you can fix it with an online internet reinstall / keep recordings mostly its a new hard drive i have the DN372T and DN370T boxes from Talktalk its a 30 minute job very easy new 320gb hard drive fixes it not sure about other pvr boxes but i imagine similar using a larger 500gb with the talktalk boxes wont work it will still only use 320gb of the 500gb - using a faster 7200rpm drive also helps with speeding up the boxes too i use WD Black 320gb and the internet reinstall puts the box back to factory condition

If you use a better hard drive its also faster - no need to ditch the box as 320gb hard drives are less than a tenner on ebay!
    edited 26 April 2022, 7:16PM
    @omendata @fivedogs

Personally, I wouldn’t spend too much time, and certainly much money, trying to get a T1000 working again.

While the hard drive swap is certainly easy, and this is a cost-effective fix for later YouView boxes where not much else goes wrong, T1000s are notorious for having their capacitors go out of spec. And though you can replace these quite cheaply, it’s a longish job, and you have to be very handy with a soldering iron.

And even if you get it back as good as new, that’s 2012 new, with no remote app, no Amazon Prime, no updates, and performance limitations.

Any money you might spend on the box would perhaps be better put towards getting a DTR-2something off eBay or similar, as these boxes haven’t been left so far behind.
  • omendataomendata Member Posts: 17
    edited 26 April 2022, 7:57PM
    Roy said:
    @omendata @fivedogs

Personally, I wouldn’t spend too much time, and certainly much money, trying to get a T1000 working again.

While the hard drive swap is certainly easy, and this is a cost-effective fix for later YouView boxes where not much else goes wrong, T1000s are notorious for having their capacitors go out of spec. And though you can replace these quite cheaply, it’s a longish job, and you have to be very handy with a soldering iron.

And even if you get it back as good as new, that’s 2012 new, with no remote app, no Amazon Prime, no updates, and performance limitations.

Any money you might spend on the box would perhaps be better put towards getting a DTR-2something off eBay or similar, as these boxes haven’t been left so far behind.
    Yip but some people have to chose between heat and eat dude haven't you been watching the news - alright for those of us who are not in penurious peril but i always try and think of the baseline user who wants things as cheap as chips which at the mo is 90% of the population!

Yeah capacitors the bane of all electronics the number i have replaced this year in devices from washing machines to led tellies is legend - 70 inch telly saved from the dump for a few £0.50p caps but some people are skint , tight or like me like to keep things out of landfill, i know its an old fashioned ethos but there are some component level guys left on badcaps.net!

I am also Scottish so as tight as a gnats!

• StephenStephen Member Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    Option 2 is a bit more drastic, but still keeps your recordings; however, it tries to contact YouView as it comes out of this sort of reboot, and if it can’t, because it’s faulty, then it’s game over and no way back.
    (@Stephen I think this is still the case for T1000s, yes?)
    Yes, unfortunately you will get stuck in setup on T1000s if your networking has a hardware defect preventing it from working, but I'm not sure that's necessarily the case here? But I guess we can't really tell what in particular has gone wrong without more investigation (or at all).
  • fre55diefre55die Member Posts: 170 ✭✭
    edited 29 April 2022, 7:24PM

If you can't get it stared and go for a replacement, whilst not YouView but, Freeview Play, I have heard some great reviews for this this. It would be brand new with a warranty unlike using E-bay. I've been stung 3 times from sellers on there, so I'm very wary about electronics from that source,

Manhattan T3-R Freeview Play 4K Smart Recorder 500GB.

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 882 ✭✭
    edited 29 April 2022, 9:51PM
    fre55die said:

If you can't get it stared and go for a replacement, whilst not YouView but, Freeview Play, I have heard some great reviews for this this. It would be brand new with a warranty unlike using E-bay. I've been stung 3 times from sellers on there, so I'm very wary about electronics from that source,

Manhattan T3-R Freeview Play 4K Smart Recorder 500GB.

The only problem with this Manhattan box is the complete lack of App's...hasn't even got Netflix. 
    Given your previous experience with e bay I too would be wary of buying from there if I was you.
    But the fact remains the Manhattan costs £170 new, on e bay there are dozens of boxes at a fraction of that price.
    Obviously there is a risk but speaking from experience I have bought around 4 youview boxes (2 x T4000 and 2 x Pro box) and touch wood never been stung.
    Ignore this if you disagree.