Is there a Fix for 'YVM102' on a Humax DTRT 1010 ?

clairmark1clairmark1 Member Posts: 4
Until yesterday I was happily able click on to 'Apps' to watch 'Netflix.'

Now, when I attempt to switch over from terrestrial channels to 'Apps' I get is: Check all connections if failure go to: - 'Fix for YVM102' on a Humax DTRT1010' on the support.youview.com webpage. I've followed all 5 of the troubleshooting tips there, as follows: - Broadband connection, Cables/ plugs & of course Rebooting either Router or the Y'View box, all to no avail! Please are others with this kit suffering the same failure? Or has someone found a solution?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,400 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 June 2022, 8:16AM
    Greetings @Clairmark1 and welcome to the Community!

if you have tried everything under the YVM102 Help, including the 8-second box reset rather than just a power cycle, then there is very little else you can do, I am afraid.

There are what are called Maintenance Mode resets, more far-reaching than even the 8-second reset, but if you try one of those and it doesn’t work, then your box will try to contact the YouView servers, not be able to, and will never recover. 
    @Stephen has some very knife and fork fixes for this, sometimes, but I don’t think they can be applied to the T1010, the second-ever YouView box, from 2012/2013, which was really just the original T1000 in a nicer suit 😢

One final thing you could perhaps try is to get a laptop, turn off its WiFi, and connect it to the internet via the Ethernet cable that normally goes into the back of the YouView box. If that doesn’t connect either, then this shows that your problem isn’t with the box, but with the path back to, and through, the router.

But if the laptop connects just fine, which I think will be the more probable outcome, then I fear the YouView box has had its innings; so, time to watch what you have recorded, and retire it. 

There are videos on YouTube which will show you how to replace about 13 capacitors on the mainboard of one of these old boxes - it’s usually the capacitors that go - but I guess you might not be up for that, which requires some soldering skills, still might not fix it, and at best would leave you with a box that started to get left a bit behind in 2016 (e.g. no remote recording app any more).

As regards apps for the internet, I would recommend an Amazon Firestick or a Roku Express or Stick, either of which will far outclass, app for app, what even a more modern YouView box can achieve, let alone yours.

But they don’t give the joined-up experience a YouView box gives; if you still want that, then a DTR-T2xxx, a DTR-T4000, or even the new BT Pro box if you can run to it, is the thing to get.

None of these is available retail now, but you can find them on eBay, or maybe Amazon, from second-tier resellers, and some of the boxes there are even new. Though I have a couple of perfectly serviceable ones bought secondhand from such sources.

And you would find any one of these faster and more capable than your old T1010 which, even fully working, has been left a bit behind what the later YouView boxes can do.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • clairmark1clairmark1 Member Posts: 4
    Lots of info. many thanks. 
    Lots of info. many thanks. 
    @clairmark1

I am not known for my brevity, but I hope I am known for my clarity 😛
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • clairmark1clairmark1 Member Posts: 4
    edited 4 June 2022, 3:25PM
    Hi Roy, I thought I'd perform one final reset once more, can you believe  all the apps are back!  As if nothing occured last night - incredible!
    Thus proving it's always worth one last reset. Thanks again for all the info.
    @clairmark1

Wow - good for you! They say insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result the second time, but it looks like your box has regained its sanity 🥳