Using a YouTube TV box without having a BT Broadband or TV account

PaulCharmanPaulCharman Member Posts: 5
Can I use a YouTube TV box without having a BT Broadband or TV account

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 879 ✭✭
    Hi @PaulCharman,
    Welcome to the Youview forum. Do you mean Youview or Youtube? If Youview the answer is YES. The box works ok as long as you are connected to tv aerial & also have Broadband connected. You don't need to be subscribed to BT or any other ISP. Hopefully this has answered your query? If you need more info, please let the forum know & we will try & help. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 618 ✭✭
    Hi,

This forum is for YouView boxes and TV-enabled equipment.

I suspect you mean a YouView one, not YouTube, and if so. then the answer is yes, but to set it up initially you need to connect to the internet during the initial setup phase. Once set up it will act as a recordable box and get the terrestrial channels.

However you will not get any updates to software nor will you be able to use any catchup apps, such as iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 June 2022, 3:39PM
    Hi,

This forum is for YouView boxes and TV-enabled equipment.

I suspect you mean a YouView one, not YouTube, and if so. then the answer is yes, but to set it up initially you need to connect to the internet during the initial setup phase. Once set up it will act as a recordable box and get the terrestrial channels.

However you will not get any updates to software nor will you be able to use any catchup apps, such as iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.
    @Stevef_fr8ys @PaulCharman

I interpreted the OP’s question to be whether YouView (sic) boxes were BT broadband specific or not, but you answered as to whether the boxes needed broadband at all.

If that’s what he meant, fine, but the answer to what I thought the question was is no, they are not specific to BT Broadband, nor to BT TV. And they will work on any ISP for the purposes of watching broadcast TV and recording it, and for using the apps on the YouView box.

However, the extra BT-provided channels only show up if your ISP is BT, and you can only watch and record them if you are subscribed to BT TV. And for many of those channels, you additionally need to be subscribed to Now, and through BT, not directly with Now.

And if you move away from BT TV, recordings of these channels won’t play any more.

However, if you aren’t with BT TV now, you needn’t worry about what you would miss by leaving 😛

The only other thing to note is that while your YouView box will get updates while you are on any ISP, the update schedule is always tied to the box model, and this never changes when your ISP changes.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 15 June 2022, 5:42PM
    It maybe even a media box with Youtube included. Lots being sold online. Youview is often confused with Youtube. @PaulCharman is busy crawling under the table to find out what model/equipment he has.
    John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • PaulCharmanPaulCharman Member Posts: 5
    edited 15 June 2022, 6:51PM
    Thanks everyone for your swift responses. The situation is this. We have a BT telephone, broadband and TV account, which gives us YouView.  GNetwork have just installed fibre in our street so we have gone over to them as BT don't do fibre in this area. We have disconnected the BT router but were worried we would lose our TV connection.  However, we found that just by plugging in the TV ethernet cable to the mini connector working through the mains, it works perfectly well, all the same channels etc. However, when I asked BT whether I could cancel my broadband account and continue with BT TV, they said I had to have BT Broadband tin order to get the BT TV package. But that's not our experience. I am still getting the TV channels, even though the BT Broadband has been fully disconnected. What to do? Very confused by BT. 
    @PaulCharman,
    Are you getting all the subscription channels or just the standard free channels? The free Freeview channels you can get on all Youview & other Freeview boxes. Your box will still operate. With BT, you are paying for monthly fees for the extra add-ons. Have a look and see what is still there and also allows you free access. Hopefully answered the confusion for you? John L
    Thanks John. As we haven't cancelled with BT broadband or TV we can't tell. At the moment we get everything as normal but not through the BT router. The question is whether they will all work once the contract is cancelled? Will Youview disconnect them once they know we have cancelled our BT account?
    edited 15 June 2022, 7:32PM
    Hi @PaulCharman,
    I'm not subscribed to BT, own my own Youview pvrs, but if you have a contract with your ISP (BT), you will lose all extra add-ons such as Subscription channels, BT extra app menu, your box will change menu skin colour when it updates. Correct me if I am wrong anyone?

Everything else Inc recording function will work as before. Not like Sky where you loose recording function. Just think how much money you may save if you are happy with the standard Freeview channels, all the standard apps Inc BBC iPlayer, channel 4/5, itv, BT remote app. Enjoy! John L
    Thanks John L. But means paying for the new fibre router (£30 a month) while keeping with BT £45 a month. Better just to change to Sky surely?
    edited 20 June 2022, 2:42PM
    Thanks John. As we haven't cancelled with BT broadband or TV we can't tell. At the moment we get everything as normal but not through the BT router. The question is whether they will all work once the contract is cancelled? Will Youview disconnect them once they know we have cancelled our BT account?
    YouView don’t disconnect anything, BT do. But you say you have switched over to the new router that came with the GNetwork fibre.

So go to your YouView box, and look at the EPG. Are there channels in the 300-525 range? If there are, can you still watch any of them that you could watch before, when you were on the BT line?

I’d expect these channels to be gone, but maybe the YouView box hasn’t noticed this, and they are still there, or appear to be there.

[Next paragraph edited to reflect OFCOM’s rules here, and the similar carnage that is sure to follow for other customers switching from FTTC to FTTP]

That’s a very peculiar take-on that GNetwork have done, though. Normally, when you asked to move to them, they would contact BT and cease your existing setup. Have you got a landline? Is that still with BT, or has it moved?

Are you out of contract with BT, or are GNetwork buying you out of it, or what? Are you now paying for two lots of broadband but only using one?

You should have a chat with GNetwork as to how this has come about. Normally, it’s physically impossible to have two broadband services at once, but you are in a situation where it is physically possible; though it probably doesn’t make economic sense, and needs resolving.

There’s a difference in the take-on rules  moving from BT on FTTC to GNetwork on FTTP though. Normally, when you ask to move broadband supplier, the new provider would contact BT and cease your existing setup. However, this doesn’t apply when you move away from Openreach, as you have done here, and you need to contact your existing provider yourself to cease the service. But this is all a bit technical, and I think G Network should have explained this to you.

But the result of them not telling you, and you not realising how things would go (and I didn’t realise either, and I’m supposed to know this stuff) has you now paying for two lots of broadband but only using one.

Normally, it’s physically impossible to have two broadband services at once, but you are in a situation where it is physically possible; though it probably doesn’t make economic sense, and needs resolving.

In fairness to G Networks though, perhaps you should look back over the paperwork and e-paperwork that you got from them, and see if they said this, and you missed it.

The last question (for the moment!) is when did you join BT and get the YouView box from them? If it was after 12 Dec 2019 (I think that’s the date, without checking, but somewhere around this time) BT stopped giving YouView boxes to customer on new contracts, and started lending them instead. So if you signed up after this date, BT are going to want their box back, or at least to charge you something if you don’t. But which still doesn’t make the box yours 😢

So I hope you signed up before this date…
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Thanks John L. But means paying for the new fibre router (£30 a month) while keeping with BT £45 a month. Better just to change to Sky surely?
    @PaulCharman

Oh dear, what a mess 😢

You won’t get the BT services over the fibre channel, full stop, whether you keep paying BT or not.

If you want Sky, then you have three choices, all of which would use your new fibre;
    full-blown Sky with a dish and Sky Q;
    Sky Glass with a special Sky TV (at the moment, but may also be available via just a box soon), terrestrial TV aerial and Sky programmes over the internet;
    Now TV via an app on your YouView box if you get to keep it, your TV, or possibly a Roku or Amazon stick, £20-£50, plus one or more subscriptions to Now. Just as you had with BT, but now directly with Now, more flexible month by month if you wish.

Any more questions, please ask.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 970 ✭✭
    edited 15 June 2022, 8:39PM
    Youview is a free service no matter who your isp is.

You cannot get BT tv without BT broadband. 

Have you cancelled BT?

If yes you could be just serving your notice (usually a month) and when this ends so will your BT tv.

If you haven't cancelled BT then you've bigger problems then weather you still can still watch BT tv or not.
    Ignore this if you disagree. Oh wait I just remembered I don't give a 
    edited 15 June 2022, 9:01PM
    Hi @PaulCharman ,Simple solution (I think) if BT want your box back, get yourself your own Youview PVR online. May not be 100% new, but there are sellers out there selling refurbished ones £30/40+. Not sure which model you currently have, but the 2100/4000 models are recommended. You will loose all your recordings on your current PVR, but can resume using Youview. John L
    Thanks all. Phew.
    I’ve been put straight about switches from FTTC to FTTP, especially to non-OpenReach providers, and my 15/06/2022 7:50pm posting has been edited accordingly.

There may be trouble ahead…..