BT TV Help & Assistance Please?

DjClubberDjClubber Member Posts: 6
I am used to and currently with SKY but am looking at changing to BT TV. I would like to ask a few questions to make my decision. I already have or am changing the Broadband over to BT and makes sense to change the TV whilst I have the opportunity. 

What I want to know is how does BT TV connect up? On SKY I have a MULTIROOM and they supplied 2 boxes, I was able to get hold of another 2 boxes but could use them as long as they were not all on. So at least I had the boxes in the 4 rooms but could use them say 2 at a time. 

With BT TV there is a Multiroom but can I do the same if I got 2 additional BOXES? so at least they are in the rooms as I want there FULL SPORTS PACKAGE. So am I able to chop and change the box I am using but at least have it in the 4 rooms even though only 2 can be used at the same time? I am sure I can purchase 2 extra boxes. 

This is my 1st post and am a NEWBIE. I would like to say HI at this opportunity. HI. . .

Also the package I am looking at does 4k but not for SKY which is not a problem. The Main reason is because that BT do a dedicated FULL SPORTS PACKAGE. It is cheaper than SKY. 

How does the BT TV box connect? I want one MAIN BOX and 3 subs is this possible even though I will not be using them all at the same time maybe 2 at a time? Any help gratefully received. Could I have 2 MAIN BOXES that will work at the same time as I know they do mini boxes. Or something? Or could I even have 4 MAIN boxes what I mean is recordable? Will I still be able to use the boxes on the Subscription? 

Thanks Well In Advance?
«1

Comments

  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    Hi
     re BT tv
    Quite simply DON'T !!!!

    You can literally save yourself hundreds by buying a pvr and installing the now app.

    Or buy a streaming device (or both)

    I currently pay £10 for entertainment/ movies and boost, will add the traditional sky sports season ticket at the end of the month for £20 a month. 

    BT broadband is excellent and the smart hub 2 router is a class leader and  probably the best router available with a package. 

    So to sum up

    BT broadband yes

    BT tv..total madness. 
    Oh wait
  • DjClubberDjClubber Member Posts: 6
    Whats a PVR?
  • DjClubberDjClubber Member Posts: 6
    kodikid said:
    Hi
     re BT tv
    Quite simply DON'T !!!!

    You can literally save yourself hundreds by buying a pvr and installing the now app.

    Or buy a streaming device (or both)

    I currently pay £10 for entertainment/ movies and boost, will add the traditional sky sports season ticket at the end of the month for £20 a month. 

    BT broadband is excellent and the smart hub 2 router is a class leader and  probably the best router available with a package. 

    So to sum up

    BT broadband yes

    BT tv..total madness. 
    kodikid said:
    Hi
     re BT tv
    Quite simply DON'T !!!!

    You can literally save yourself hundreds by buying a pvr and installing the now app.

    Or buy a streaming device (or both)

    I currently pay £10 for entertainment/ movies and boost, will add the traditional sky sports season ticket at the end of the month for £20 a month. 

    BT broadband is excellent and the smart hub 2 router is a class leader and  probably the best router available with a package. 

    So to sum up

    BT broadband yes

    BT tv..total madness. 
    I have NVIDIA Shield In All Rooms? I use that with a VPN for the Saturday 3PM Kick Offs. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    DjClubber said:
    Whats a PVR?
    @DjClubber

    A Personal Video Recorder. e.g. the Sky Q box, or the YouView box, or any of that ilk. Generally reserved for digital devices, to distinguish them from VCRs.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    DjClubber said:
    I am used to and currently with SKY but am looking at changing to BT TV. I would like to ask a few questions to make my decision. I already have or am changing the Broadband over to BT and makes sense to change the TV whilst I have the opportunity. 

    What I want to know is how does BT TV connect up? On SKY I have a MULTIROOM and they supplied 2 boxes, I was able to get hold of another 2 boxes but could use them as long as they were not all on. So at least I had the boxes in the 4 rooms but could use them say 2 at a time. 

    With BT TV there is a Multiroom but can I do the same if I got 2 additional BOXES? so at least they are in the rooms as I want there FULL SPORTS PACKAGE. So am I able to chop and change the box I am using but at least have it in the 4 rooms even though only 2 can be used at the same time? I am sure I can purchase 2 extra boxes. 

    This is my 1st post and am a NEWBIE. I would like to say HI at this opportunity. HI. . .

    Also the package I am looking at does 4k but not for SKY which is not a problem. The Main reason is because that BT do a dedicated FULL SPORTS PACKAGE. It is cheaper than SKY. 

    How does the BT TV box connect? I want one MAIN BOX and 3 subs is this possible even though I will not be using them all at the same time maybe 2 at a time? Any help gratefully received. Could I have 2 MAIN BOXES that will work at the same time as I know they do mini boxes. Or something? Or could I even have 4 MAIN boxes what I mean is recordable? Will I still be able to use the boxes on the Subscription? 

    Thanks Well In Advance?
    @DjClubber

    Possibly better asked over on the BT Community, but here goes:-

    If you take BT TV, they will lend you a BT Pro YouView box for as long as you are a subscriber, and if you take Multiroom, they will lend you a zapper (non-recording) box as well.

    To gain anything useful to record, BT will sell you a full price subscription to Now Entertainment, though you can additionally take Now Cinema and Now Sport, and BT Sport.

    With BT’s kit, you can only record on the one recording box they lend you, though if you source your own extra YouView recording box, you can swap that in for the zapper box.

    But note you can’t record on one box and watch the recording on another.

    You can have as many YouView boxes as you like round the place, watching and recording Freeview, but only two on BT TV, and even that requires Multiroom.

    I have BT as my ISP, and several YouView boxes around the place, but record very little now. I have a couple of subscriptions direct with Now, at heavily discounted rates not available with BT TV. I can’t watch or record the BT channels that show up on my YouView boxes, but I am more than happy to watch Now via the Now app on a plenitude of TVs in the house, either live or on demand.

    But you pays your money (rather more than me if you take BT TV, though admittedly for rather more service than I get) and you takes your choice (if it’s worth it to you).
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    Also remember there's no Disney or Discovery + on the BT pro box.
    Oh wait
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 12 July 2022, 9:13PM
    I also have BT as my ISP and been with BT for my ISP for many years and have been on BT FTTC for well over 8 years. BT has improved there FTTC over the years. My current BT FTTC contract is up in just over 7 months time. So will be looking for a similar deal that BT gave me last time for there FTTC.
    @Roy has given you good advice about BT.
    Up until 4 months ago, I had BT TV for a good 5 years and service was ok.
    I now get my Now channels and stuff direct from Now and making a small saving compared to getting the same package from BT TV. As BT don't tent to offer discounts for the Now packages.
    I still have 2 Youview boxes in the house. One is a retail box and use them to watch live Freeview channels and to record.
    in the last week or two there have been a few reported minor problems with the BT TV pro box over on the BT community forums
    There is no Disney + or Discovery + on the pro box but if a deal with BT and Discovery goes ahead then Discovery + is expected to come to the pro box next year. I now use the Amazon Firesticks more then the Youview box for all the apps but I do also need the Amazon Firesicks for Disney +.

  • DjClubberDjClubber Member Posts: 6
    The info is very well appreciated. What is the cheapest and best option for SKY SPORTS and BT SPORTS? There the main channels wanted and my mrs uses DISNEY+. I am sticking with the BT BROADBAND as our SKY TV & BROADBAND is up for renewal. Definitely changing to BT BROADBAND. Is there any alternative to watching BT SPORT & SKY SPORTS other than BT TV and SKY TV? I cant get VIRGIN. 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    As others have said, you can access Sky Sports via NOW TV without anything more than a monthly subscription. BT will remain your go-to for BT Sports, either with a long-term subscription via their box, or a monthly streaming service via their app. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited 13 July 2022, 12:14PM
    I have Sky sports (hopefully)£20

    BT sports app (large screen ) through EE £5

     and obviously amazon, for those December matches. 

    To me the app route is a no brainer...

    I can watch downstairs, upstairs in the garden, on holiday and so can my daughter at no cost to her on her various devices. 

    show me a tv sub with that flexibility. 
    Oh wait
  • DjClubberDjClubber Member Posts: 6
    Ok got you. . .
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    @DjClubber
    I used to have BT Sport when it was offered as a discount for BT broadband customers but I cancelled it when BT upped the price of its BT Sport and stopped offering a discount.
    I now dont have any sports packages As would not watch it enough in a month to justify me paying for it.
    I got entertainment at £6.99 a month till mid December.
    Sky Cinema at £7.99 a month till mid December.
    HD Boost at £2 a month till mid October.
    So I making a saving direct from Now. Than when I had BT TV on same packages.
    I will see if I can get discounts again nearer the time.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    BT isn't really a tv package supplier

    ...it basically just buys now tv from Sky and sells it on.

    So obviously buying now directly exposes you to seemingly obligatory discounts. 

    Also you're not tied in to a 18 month contract. 

    The benefits of subscribing to BT tv is you get a shiny new pro box which although lacking in apps can hold its own against Sky and Virgins boxes .

    And again your guaranteed stress free viewing as it's maintained by BT.

    I bought my pro boxes  from ebay and subscribe to the various app's directly.

    Obviously if the boxes go wrong your on your own but the massive savings outweigh the risk in my opinion. 

    Although I don't actually watch the apps through the pro box as I prefer watching them through the app laden roku streambar. 

    So while the pro box is great I certainly wouldn't subscribe to a 18 month contract to get one.

    Oh wait
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    BT isn't really a tv package supplier

    ...it basically just buys now tv from Sky and sells it on.


    You must have not got the memo about BT Sports.

    And Sky isn't really an ISP, it basically just buys network capacity from, ahem, BT (Openreach) and sells it on. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    kodikid said:
    BT isn't really a tv package supplier

    ...it basically just buys now tv from Sky and sells it on.


    You must have not got the memo about BT Sports.

    And Sky isn't really an ISP, it basically just buys network capacity from, ahem, BT (Openreach) and sells it on. 
    @redchiz

    I guess by your definition, there aren’t many ISPs out there, then. 

    Just Virgin and a handful of go-it-alone suppliers.

    Not even BT themselves. Gosh. Who knew?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    @Roy I think you're missing the context, dear chap.  🙂
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 640 ✭✭
    Hopefully Now will also have a Season Ticket pass at a reduced rate per month for the duration of the football season.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    Hopefully Now will also have a Season Ticket pass at a reduced rate per month for the duration of the football season.
    Fingers crossed, it's usually around this time.
    Pretty sure with the cost of living crisis they won't let us down.
    Oh wait
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    @Roy I think you're missing the context, dear chap.  🙂
    @redchiz

    Oh sure, you’re being ironic.

    But there is more than a grain of truth in @kodikid’s assertion - I think the Now deal was BT pulling its horns in, and running for ease and safety - and your analogy didn’t quite work as a counter to that 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    @Roy
    OK, let's just leave it at BT Sports, shall we? 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    @Roy
    OK, let's just leave it at BT Sports, shall we? 
    @redchiz

    Even there, I think BT got its fingers burned in a bidding war with Sky that didn’t do much more than line the pockets of Premier League players at the fans’ expense, but can’t back out because it has taken on long-term commitments that mean it has to keep BT Sport going.

    The irony of BT offering its arch-rival’s sports service alongside its own isn’t lost on me, and I bet BT wishes it had thought of just reselling Sky Sports via Now years ago, instead of trying to go it alone.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

    The irony of BT offering its arch-rival’s sports service alongside its own isn’t lost on me, and I bet BT wishes it had thought of just reselling Sky Sports via Now years ago, instead of trying to go it alone.
    That last bit of "irony" is lost on me I'm afraid, do Sky not offer BT Sport alongside its own offering? 

    The point is really that customers do have a degree of choice e.g: BT; Sky; NOW; Virgin; even TalkTalk god help us!
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 14 July 2022, 11:31AM
    @redchiz I agree the customer has choice but as you say TalkTalk is the worst of the choice. Even though some of other fourms have said TalkTalk has improved a little.
    As for Virgin. A few people that I know that moved from Sky to Virgin say service is good and one person said the Virgin customer service was not great.
    Everyone is now in some way looking to reduce the cost of there TV subs and other bills. Even if its just by £2 or £3 pounds a month. Due to the on going cost of living crisis.

  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    Choice...really?

    I want to watch all the best entertainment programs and HBO content on Sky,

     oh wait it's all on Sky Atlantic...

    which is only available on Sky or now.

    Also I think you'll find in a cost of living crisis people normally stop their subscription as opposed to trying to save a few quid a month. 

    Or illegally strem content which is rife and increasing all the time.

    Plus to my knowledge it's only Now that offer discounts..

    Ever seen Netflix or Amazon reduce it's prices?
    Oh wait
  • DjClubberDjClubber Member Posts: 6
    I have ordered a Bt Tv Pro Box of Fleabay for £80 inc Delivery just to test out. Rather than sign up to BT does the Bt Tv Pro able to use the BT SPORTS APP? And NOW TV APP rather than sign up for a SUB? I am penny pinching due to the increase in living and like my TV especially SPORTS and even more now SPURS are in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. With Sky the cost is a Whopping £146.99 and think thats ridiculous. Contract runs out 08 August and switched to BT FIBRE 500. SKY offered a deal at £90 but since the Broadband is 56 its still too high. And even if I stayed with SKY the TV & Broadband is still the same. So hoping to test out the Bt Tv Pro Box and am hoping it can use the APPS rather than dedicated signup of BT & SKY Sports. Any suggestions?

  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited 14 July 2022, 10:03AM
    At the moment BT sport and Sky sport package on BT is £40, although its a 18 months contract you can swap it to a lesser package during the summer months. 

    Realistically the best offer going directly is £45 (a not guaranteed £20 Sky and £25 BT)

    As for the App's  on the pro box you can use the Now app but you can only use the BT app if you buy the sport through them.

    I watch BT sport through EE and although owned by BT I can't sign in on it.

    PS 
    You do know Richalison can't stay on his feet for more then 2 minutes before he goes down. 
    Oh wait
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    BT no long do 18 month contracts. They changed to only offering a 24 month contracts at lest 2 years ago.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 July 2022, 11:59AM
    I have just checked BT and the combined sports package is £41 a month, which isn't too bad, although it will of course increase in line with inflation plus 3.9% over the course of the contract. Try as I might I couldn't find the price of the HD Add On, anybody know? This is of course only available to BT Broadband customers.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    redchiz said:
    I have just checked BT and the combined sports package is £41 a month, which isn't too bad, although it will of course increase in line with inflation plus 3.9% over the course of the contract. Try as I might I couldn't find the price of the HD Add On, anybody know? This is of course only available to BT Broadband customers.
    It's £5 extra
    Oh wait
  • BillyMBillyM Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 July 2022, 12:25PM
    The BT HD add-on (which includes Now Boost) is £6 for new customers. The Big Sport package also includes the 2 Eurosport channels (edited).
Sign In or Register to comment.