Subtitles on Now TV

BWVBWV Member Posts: 2
Hi, can't get subtitles on NowTV. How do I fix this please?

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 640 ✭✭
    Unfortunately you can't get subtitles using the YouView box 

If you have access to Now via a smart TV or streaming stick, these may have subtitles. Now have different versions of their apps for different devices.
  • BWVBWV Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 24 July 2022, 10:42AM
    Thats one thing Youview and Now/Sky should be looking at bringing to Youview is subtitles to the Now.
    You would think they would have done this by now.
    Thats one good thing about now having my TV direct from Now and using the Amazon Firestick is I can now get subtitles for dad to use as hes partly deaf and almost in his late 80s. He also in last few years now has to wear reading glasses.
    He was at one point not watching as much TV as he used to due to lack of subtitles on the likes of Sky History, Sky documentaries and Gold.
    Some programmes on Gold dont seem to have subtitles and some do.
    Dont know if its a old persons thing but he now dont stay up as late as he used to watching the TV. 

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭
    Subtitles are a very contentious issue for all providers and platforms and are much talked about. They should be available for all programmes and films, but they aren't.

Its all down to the provider, not the aggregator.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2022, 6:06AM

If you have access to Now via a smart TV or streaming stick, these may have subtitles. Now have different versions of their apps for different devices.
    For anyone chancing on this thread in the future, and perhaps out of context, I hope it’s clear that the above means that you can’t get subtitles using the YouView box when using the Now app on it.

YouView boxes have one of the best arrangements for getting subtitles, when they are available, of any devices I own, having a dedicated button letting you turn them on or off with one press, whereas all my TVs except one have you ferreting about in the menu system.

Dedicated, that is, when something is running; I might not have paired that button with Del, which can do something rather irreversible when a programme is not running, though at least you can get an “Are you sure?” 😛

And the YouView subtitle settings persist; although you can get Now with subtitles on other devices, and perhaps the app on TVs, you have to turn them on afresh every time you start watching a programme, in anything but the back-to-back viewing of consecutive episodes of a series 😢

Making subtitles persistent is probably the bit of the YouView UI that Now couldn’t cope with…
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 26 July 2022, 7:32AM
    Roy said:

For anyone chancing on this thread in the future, and perhaps out of context, I hope it’s clear that the above means that you can’t get subtitles using the YouView box when using the Now app on it.

YouView boxes have one of the best arrangements for getting subtitles, when they are available, of any devices I own, having a dedicated button letting you turn them on or off with one press, whereas all my TVs except one have you ferreting about in the menu system.

Dedicated, that is, when something is running; I might not have paired that button with Del, which can do something rather irreversible when a programme is not running, though at least you can get an “Are you sure?” 😛

And the YouView subtitle settings persist; although you can get Now with subtitles on other devices, and perhaps the app on TVs, you have to turn them on afresh every time you start watching a programme, in anything but the back-to-back viewing of consecutive episodes of a series 😢

Making subtitles persistent is probably the bit of the YouView UI that Now couldn’t cope with…

I agree for at times I have to now turn the subtitles on for dad on the Now app via the Amazon Firestick and as I said some programmes on Gold don't have subtitles. As hes got used to pressing the sub button on a BBC, ITV(STV) or Channel 4. Using the Youview remote. As his memory is sometimes now not as good as it used to be.