Recording on tv in another room.

maggiejanemaggiejane Member Posts: 9
I have a DN372T box , which works fine. I contacted TalkTalk yesterday to request a further box and was told only the 4K box is now available and I wouldn’t be able to record on it.
I would like to be able to record, pause rewind on the tv in the other room somehow and would appreciate guidance on the best way forward. Thanks 

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 640 ✭✭
    If you want a YouView box, you will have to purchase one from eBay or Amazon.

TalkTalk no longer provide recordable boxes and nor are they available via retail outlets. EBay have 2nd hand and refurbished ones. Don't buy a DN370T or a Humax T1000 series box as these are no longer supported.

Freeview boxes that record are also available so these may be an option for you.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited 2 August 2022, 7:27PM
    Treat yourself to a BT pro box.

It's the best youview box ever assembled. 

Wifi 

And the ability to record 4 programmes at once.

It's perfect for the bedroom (or another room) especially if your router is downstairs.

Don't be put off by buying from Ebay as most if not all the pro boxes usually for sale are brand new.

I have always bought mine there (about 7 through the years) and never had a problem. 

Cex also sell youview
     boxes. 

Oh wait
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Treat yourself to a BT pro box.

It's the best youview box ever assembled. 

Wifi 

And the ability to record 4 programmes at once.

It's perfect for the bedroom (or another room) especially if your router is downstairs.

Don't be put off by buying from Ebay as most if not all the pro boxes are brand new.

I have always bought mine there (about 7 through the years) and never had a problem. 

Cex also sell youview
     boxes. 

@kodikid

I’m a bit worried about lifespan, though.

How long do you think one of these boxes will last?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Only time will tell.
    Oh wait
    kodikid said:
    Only time will tell.
    @kodikid

Yes, but how much time?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • maggiejanemaggiejane Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your suggestions. All gratefully received! 
    edited 2 August 2022, 8:01PM
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:
    Only time will tell.
    @kodikid

Yes, but how much time?
    Perhaps just been lucky but I've never actually had a youview box fail on me.

Shallow me replaced my pair of T2000's for the 4000
    ( still in my mind the best aesthetically pleasing box ever)

and then jumped at the chance of ditching the dreaded PLA'S for ever with the WiFi enabled pro.

So fingers crossed the pro box continues this trend. 

If and when they do bite the dust I seriously would have to consider if I wanted to invest in another PVR with being so enamored with my Roku streambar's... which I find I'm using more and more then the pro boxes. 
    Oh wait
    So, just to clarify, you have experience of the pro box as an additional box in another room and it worked fine? 
    So, just to clarify, you have experience of the pro box as an additional box in another room and it worked fine? 
    @maggiejane

Anyone can run any number of YouView boxes of any sort in any rooms that they have, where there is a TV point and wired internet connectivity (and Pro boxes are WiFi, so don’t need that) and they will work fine, as non-subscription YouView boxes.

if you subscribe to any TalkTalk services, these may be limited to the primary supplied TalkTalk box, but every other box will certainly be able to pause, record and rewind live Freeview TV, and the apps on them will work OK, as long as each has your subscription or identity details (depending on the app’s requirements).

Don’t expect to be able to record on one box and watch on another - recordings are specific to the box they are recorded on. So if you aren’t sure where you are going to want to watch something, record it on both boxes, and choose at the time 😛

Dont put two non-Pro boxes in the same room, or both will respond to a single remote (the Pro boxes pair their remotes so this doesn’t happen).

Anything you might want to do with two boxes that doesn’t fit with the above?
    Perfectly 
    Oh wait
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 3 August 2022, 7:49AM
    The BT pro box has been getting a few mixed reviews over on the BT community forums.
    Never used a Pro box myself. So cant comment on the BT pro box.
    You can get second hand Youview boxes of Amazon but not the BT pro box.
    Also Amazon seem to not be selling as many Youview boxes as they was a good few months ago.
    CEX sell BT Youview boxes on there website but when I looked last week CEX had no BT pro boxes left in stock.
    As said dont get the Youview T1000 as that box was discontinued a few years ago and no longer gets any software updates.

I think the lack of boxes available reflects the gradual shift to streaming. 

The lack of updates regarding App's is a real disappointment with the pro box.

No Disney, YouTube or Apple plus is forcing people to buy a dedicated streaming device.

Even Sky seem to be promoting Sky glass over the Sky q box.
    Oh wait
    Thanks for all your useful comments 
    Darren said:
    The BT pro box has been getting a few mixed reviews over on the BT community forums.
    Never used a Pro box myself. So cant comment on the BT pro box.
    You can get second hand Youview boxes of Amazon but not the BT pro box.
    Also Amazon seem to not be selling as many Youview boxes as they was a good few months ago.
    CEX sell BT Youview boxes on there website but when I looked last week CEX had no BT pro boxes left in stock.
    As said dont get the Youview T1000 as that box was discontinued a few years ago and no longer gets any software updates.

@Darren

I’m finding Amazon is pretty **** these days, if they haven’t got what you want.

Instead of just telling you that, they give you pages of unfocused hits on stuff that isn’t what you want. Even if you use Amazon’s own search term for the thing you do want!

It wouldn’t be so bad if they said “No direct hits, how about these items?” But they don’t 😢

I do better on eBay these days, for some of the stuff I am looking for.
    kodikid said:
    I think the lack of boxes available reflects the gradual shift to streaming. 

The lack of updates regarding App's is a real disappointment with the pro box.

No Disney, YouTube or Apple plus is forcing people to buy a dedicated streaming device.

Even Sky seem to be promoting Sky glass over the Sky q box.
    @kodikid

Wouldn't you expect the shift to streaming to produce a glut of unwanted YouView boxes available?
    Going back to my original question, I just want to clarify that I don’t need to get another router? 
    I ask this, as the TalkTalk adviser I spoke to said I couldn’t get a second box to record, which I guess is controlled from their end?
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 885 ✭✭
    Going back to my original question, I just want to clarify that I don’t need to get another router? 
    I ask this, as the TalkTalk adviser I spoke to said I couldn’t get a second box to record, which I guess is controlled from their end?
    You can if you purchase another Youview PVR online. Might be used, but for £20/30/40+, you then have your own extra recorder in another room. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 634 ✭✭
    @Roy I know what you mean about Amazon. As for eBay. Thats not a site that I use very often.
    edited 3 August 2022, 11:51AM
    Hi  @maggiejane

No, you can only ever have one router connected directly to your broadband, and everything feeds from that, either directly by Ethernet or by WiFi.

(There are things called Ethernet switches and bridges, and things called WiFi extenders and mesh systems, that can extend the reach of your WiFi or Ethernet, but they all feed back to that one router, and I doubt you need to be concerned with them).

If you can find a BT Pro box, then that will connect to your router by WiFi, but the earlier T2xxx and T4000 boxes do require a wired Ethernet connection, so if you use one of these, and want to reach the router, some distance away, then instead of draping an Ethernet cable around, you could use a couple of PLAs (PowerLine Adaptors) where one connects to the YouView box by a short Ethernet cable, called a ‘tail’, and plugs in to the mains, and sends the signal over the mains to its fellow, plugged into the mains near the router, and connected to that by another ‘tail’.

And the reason TalkTalk said you couldn’t get a second box to record from is not some deep techy issue; it’s just that they have inexplicably decided not to supply them any more, not even as replacements for existing recording boxes that have failed 😢
    All very helpful, thank you! 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

if you subscribe to any TalkTalk services, these may be limited to the primary supplied TalkTalk box, but every other box will certainly be able to pause, record and rewind live Freeview TV, and the apps on them will work OK, as long as each has your subscription or identity details (depending on the app’s requirements).

Just for info, there are no longer any TalkTalk-specific services available via their YouView boxes any more, wef 1 August all Sky Boost channels have ceased.
    I connected a second youview box, which I’d bought via Gumtree yesterda and it’s working perfectly. It records, rewinds and pauses, so I’m very happy with it! 
    One minor niggle is that itv local news is stuck on Meridian and I don’t know how that can be altered. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    @maggiejane
    You may have "competing" transmitters in your area, Try initiating a retune through the Settings menu and if it gives you a choice of regions, choose the one you want. 
    Do a manual retune from the settings menu. Up arrow on the centre wheel and across to the cog.
    It may be worth doing a retune with no aerial connected to clear any residual memory first.
    If that does not work, take it to where your other box is and retune there.
    Are both run off the same aerial or different ones? 
    One may be focused on another region.
    Maybe now buy a box for your other room...save yourself a monthly subscription. 
    Oh wait
    kodikid said:
    Maybe now buy a box for your other room...save yourself a monthly subscription. 
    You can cancel the £4 charge by phoning customer services and if you fulfilled your contract by a certain date can keep the box.
    Even less reason now no boosts available to pay the charge.
    Thanks for all the advice. I have retuned and no option for a region, so problem persists. Both are off the same aerial and both show Meridian. 
    I shall try the retune without aerial connection later on when others aren’t watching tv! 
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. I have retuned and no option for a region, so problem persists. Both are off the same aerial and both show Meridian. 
    I shall try the retune without aerial connection later on when others aren’t watching tv! 
    Are you looking at ITV HD on 103 by any chance? I think you will need to go to the SD version on 3 to get your own local news, unfortunately ITV do not provide many regions in HD, for example I am in the Anglia region but also have Meridian on 103
    Spot on ! 
    I found that out today and as it’s only local news, SD is fine, but thanks for letting me know.