can i connect Humax DTRT1000 to a monitor?

lauricalaurica Member Posts: 1
I don't have a tv, but i have a monitor with HDMI, can i use my monitor as tv with Humax DTRT1000?
to watch live or see catch ups 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    @laurica

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

I assume you already have both devices (since nobody should be buying a DTR-T1000 these days*) so why not just try it?

The worst that can happen is that the YouView box will refuse to connect to the monitor because of HDCP considerations.

If you can give the make and model of the monitor, we can perhaps check this for you.

Note that the YouView box will need to be connected to a working TV aerial though, and that if you watch live or watch the BBC iPlayer for catchup, you will need to be covered by a valid TV licence.

* DTRT1000s, the original YouView boxes, have very limited functionality these days, and also patchy reliability. DTR T2xxx, T4000, Pro, are all current boxes.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer: yes

In addition to everything that Roy has said. Most modern monitors will do HDCP too (for HD and protected content) but it's never a dead cert.

You may get strange colours during bootup, slightly off aspect ratios or complaints about refresh rates as the monitor expects the device to give it exactly what it says it accepts, and the YV box expects the screen to show exactly what it sends and there may be a tiny gap of understanding between the two.

But yes I use (newer) boxes on PC monitors all the time, and mostly everyone is happy.

There's so many combinations though, that as Roy says all you can really do is try it, and there's a good chance you'll be in luck.