Loss of signal since the storm

geoffwentgeoffwent Member Posts: 2
Since the storm last night in hand not been able to see programmes on my tv. The internet is ok but tv not avalable.

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 662 ✭✭
    All TV or just via the box?

Can you get channels if the aerial is plugged direct to the TV? 

If not you probably had the aerial blown out if alignment or a lightning strike.

Either way you will need to consult an aerial installer 

If it's to the box only, then a lightning strike may have blown your tuners. If so and you are under contract, then you may be eligible for a replacement box, so contact your ISP for help.
  • geoffwentgeoffwent Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, it's just tv and radio signal downstairs. I have freeview television in loft conversion bedroom connected to same Arial and can get tv on that tv. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 662 ✭✭
    But do you get a signal direct on the downstairs tv without the box connected or is it just the YouView box that has no signal?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    But do you get a signal direct on the downstairs tv without the box connected or is it just the YouView box that has no signal?
    @geoffwent

Is this a Sony Android TV with YouView on it, so we aren’t talking about a YouView box at all?

Or if a YouView box is involved, what make and model is it?

If there is a YouView box involved, then to amplify what @Stevef_fr8ys says above:-

Some people connect their TV aerial to their YouView box, feed the output of the YouView box to the TV via HDMI, and never bother to make any further connections. If they have a zapper (non-recording) YouView box this is their only option.

Those with a recording YouView box, though, can optionally connect a further aerial cable from the Aerial Out of the YouView box to the Aerial In of the TV, so they can tune and use the TV independently of the YouView box.

If you are in the first group, disconnect the aerial from the YouView box, plug it into the Aerial In of the TV, and see if the TV can show Freeview channels. You may have to tune the TV to achieve this, using the TV’s remote control.

If you are in the second group, unplug the two aerial cables from the back of the YouView box and connect them together, bypassing the YouView box. 

Can you now get Freeview channels directly on the TV, using the TV’s remote control?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    After the storm, have you checked you still have an aerial?

I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Visionman said:
    After the storm, have you checked you still have an aerial?

“ I have freeview television in loft conversion bedroom connected to same Arial and can get tv on that tv.”
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    To be fair @Roy that says the TV is in a loft conversion, not necessarily the aerial itself. But we may never know the outcome as it appears that geoff went. 
    redchiz said:
    To be fair @Roy that says the TV is in a loft conversion, not necessarily the aerial itself. But we may never know the outcome as it appears that geoff went. 
    @redchiz

I have no idea how any of that would be germane; I was just relying on ‘connected to same Arial’.

Of course, the OP could be mistaken about that; but absent any self-contradictions in what he has said, we have to work with what we are given.

Or was all this just a peg on which to hang a pun that you were obviously bursting to make? 😛
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Guilty as charged.  😄