BT TV Box Mini Launch Software Release 4.0.224 / 0.2.174

Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 131 admin
Please feel free to discuss the latest BT TV Box Mini Software Release 4.0.224 / 0.2.174 here.

This release is for the new BT TV Box Mini, a non-recordable device from BT which works just like the BT TV Box Pro, connecting to the Smart Hub via WiFi, allowing users to watch without the need for an aerial.

For more information please click here.

Thanks,
Louise.

Comments

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭
    Wow again!
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    @Louise Murdoch

Now I’m thoroughly confused. 

This box provides all Freeview channels over the internet? 
    The description seems to say that.

Does the Pro box do that?
    The description of that box seems to slightly skirt around it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 131 admin
    Hi @Roy

Internet mode was also launched on the BT TV Box Pro today  :smiley:

There's some further information here on BT's forums.
    edited 26 August 2022, 10:08PM
    Hi @Roy

Internet mode was also launched on the BT TV Box Pro today  :smiley:

There's some further information here on BT's forums.
    Wow, that’s a game-changer, possibly the first since the original YouView box with its backward EPG and deep linking.

Our utility room is the only (non-bathroom) room in the house with no TV point, and we struggle with emulating the accessibility of Freeview across the players on the TV in there; we can get most of what we want, but it’s clunky.

One of these sounds like the solution to this that we need.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to put too much of a dampener on things, but the "internet mode" DTT channels are currently delivered over BT's multicast network, so you have to be a BT TV subscriber and the box be on your BT line to use this functionality.
    edited 26 August 2022, 10:09PM
    Stephen said:
    Not to put too much of a dampener on things, but the "internet mode" DTT channels are currently delivered over BT's multicast network, so you have to be a BT TV subscriber and the box be on your BT line to use this functionality.
    @Stephen

True, but in fairness to BT, they do make that clear. And the service no doubt piggybacks on the facilities that BT use to deliver the Now channels.

But up until now, the great ‘missing link’ has been Freeview over the internet, not as a series of individual and disconnected players that cover many, but not all, the Freeview channels, but as an app, or something even more seamless, that presents and works like the Freeview EPG.

And I suspect that where BT and YouView lead, Freeview Play will not want to be that far behind…..

One slight worry I have is that the manual for the BT TV Box Mini doesn’t describe the numeric keys on the remote as something you can choose channels with, like you can on a TV. I hope this is an omission in the manual, and not in the functionality, as I think the lack of numeric access to channels, (on a remote that didn’t even have a numeric keypad) was what killed the NowTV Smart Box, the one that had a Freeview tuner.

As if it wasn’t pointless enough already; though those who still have them love them, and secondhand ones are still sought after, so it must have something going for it.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    One slight worry I have is that the manual for the BT TV Box Mini doesn’t describe the numeric keys on the remote as something you can choose channels with, like you can on a TV. I hope this is an omission in the manual, and not in the functionality, as I think the lack of numeric access to channels, (on a remote that didn’t even have a numeric keypad) was what killed the NowTV Smart Box, the one that had a Freeview tuner.
    No, you needn't worry. The Mini behaves exactly the same as any other YouView box with regards to UI (except where it has to do something differently because of having no tuner or hard drive).
    Internet mode channels are presented identically and seamlessly in the Guide as per all other boxes and assigned numbers following their DTT counterparts.
    So it's a box with the power of the Pro but the UI layout of a zapper.

And the remote supplied is identical to the Pro one (Record doubling on Watchlist-adding duty) so that households with a Pro already are familiar with it and can swap them in a pinch