New BT remote

It works, but I cannot access any catch-up programs or any apps such as iPlayer. There is no error code, just says it cannot update apps (in Settings). Yesterday - old remotes, no problem. Today, new remotes -  :'( Same Toshiba TV, same Humax DTRT2100. Same human.

Comments

• jnorris235jnorris235 Member Posts: 6
    Also, oddly, although the box is recording on 2 channels I can still watch another channel (the normal main ones, 1,2,3,4,5. But not some (Dave, Drama and more)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 September 2022, 2:22PM
    @jnorris235

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

In what circumstances have you changed remotes?

Can you please look at this link, and tell us which is your old remote, and which is your new one?
    https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/remote/which-remote-do-you-have

Have you programmed the new remote to work with your TV? If not, could this be the issue - you are trying to watch these things on the TV, not the YouView box?

Either way, click on your new remote on that page, and follow the instructions to reset it, and then follow the instructions to pair it with your TV.

Please let us know if this fixes things.

On your second issue, this is because the way that Freeview over digital is packaged is in muxes (multiplexes) - groups of channels. So when a YouView tuner is asked to provide you a channel, it actually tunes to a multiplex - and so, when you are making two recordings, you can actually watch live any of the channels that are on the multiplex that the two recordings are being made on - or if the recording channels are on two different multiplexes, any channel on either multiplex.

YouView don’t make a big song and dance about this, as they fear that trying to explain this in the guides will fry our little brains, but it is how it actually works.

Here is what the multiplexes are:-
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings-industry-professionals
    (Scroll down to the table)

So you can see that channels 1 and 2 are on mux BBCA, channels 3-6 are on mux D3&4, but Dave is on mux ARQA and Drama on mux SDN.

So if, for example, you were recording ITV and Dave, then you could watch Channel 4 or 5, or anything else on mux D3&4, or Sky Arts or Really, or anything else on mux ARQ A. But you still couldn’t watch Drama, as that is on a third mux, SDN, or even BBC1, as BBCA would be a third mux, and you can have at most two muxes at once.

Here’s a list of channels by mux (and such was very hard to find) so that when you are recording channel(s) whose mux(es) you have found from the above link, you can see what other channels you can and can’t watch alongside them.

https://www.1a-aerials.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Freeview-MUX-channels.pdf
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Thanks, Roy. Answered below - briefly, everything fine - just cant access apps or previous days on the Guide any more. I.e. catchup. Settings says “Can’t update apps” tho happily on the internet!

Jon Norris 

On 3 Sep 2022, at 14:19, Roy <[email protected]> wrote:

YouView Community

Roy mentioned you in New BT remote

@jnorris235

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

In what circumstances have you changed remotes?

>> Battery had leaked in old one

Can you please look at this link, and tell us which is your old remote, and which is your new one?
    https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/remote/which-remote-do-you-have

>> BT TV Remote (both)

Have you programmed the new remote to work with your TV? If not, could this be the issue - you are trying to watch these things on the TV, not the YouView box?

>> Yes programmed correctly

Either way, click on your new remote on that page, and follow the instructions to reset it, and then follow the instructions to pair it with your TV.

>>Done this over and over!

Please let us know if this fixes things.

>> No, still cant access apps or Catchup (earlier programs thru the guide for instance)

On your second issue, this is because the way that Freeview over digital is packaged is in muxes (multiplexes) - groups of channels. So when a YouView tuner is asked to provide you a channel, it actually tunes to a multiplex - and so, when you are making two recordings, you can actually watch live any of the channels that are on the multiplex that the two recordings are being made on - or if the recording channels are on two different multiplexes, any channel on either multiplex.

>> That is new to me - grateful! So that’s not a problem then

YouView don’t make a big song and dance about this, as they fear that trying to explain this in the guides will fry our little brains, but it is how it works.

Here is what the multiplexes are:-
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings-industry-professionals(Scroll down to the table)

So you can see that channels 1 and 2 are on mux BBCA, channels 3-6 are on mux D3&4, but Dave is on mux ARQA and Drama on mux SDN.

So if, for example, you were recording ITV and Dave, then you could watch Channel 4 or 5, or anything else on mux D3&4, or Sky Arts or Really, or anything else on mux ARQ A. But you still couldn’t watch Drama, as that is on a third mux, SDN, and you can have at most two muxes at once.

Here’s a list of channels by mux (and such was very hard to find) so that when you are recording channel(s) whose mux(es) you have found from the above link, you can see what other channels you can and can’t watch alongside them.

https://www.1a-aerials.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Freeview-MUX-channels.pdf

-- 
    ReplyOrFollow
    https://community.youview.com/discussion/comment/19013539#Comment_19013539

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 662 ✭✭
    Apologies if answered already, but where did you get your new remote from?

If a well known auction site, I understand there are fakes out there. Could this be an issue?
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking a step back, I assume the remote is generally working, @jnorris235, because you can press OK to go into areas from the Home screen and other such things, and press arrow keys to navigate around?

And what happens when you try to launch an app? A loading screen that vanishes without loading the app? An error notification at the top of the screen? Literally nothing?

Is this the same problem:
    1. Launching an app directly from the Home Screen
    2. Pressing OK on the Apps button on the Home Screen and then selecting an app from the fullscreen list presented
    3. Trying to launch a piece of content directly from a row such as TV Shows on the Home Screen
    4. Trying to launch a piece of content directly, found via Search
    5. Trying to launch a piece of content directly from the fullscreen Guide grid

And you say you can't go back in the Guide (fullscreen grid?), is this using the left arrow key on your remote, or the rewind button to jump by whole days?

(p.s. The "Can't update apps" error is a longstanding glitch - if it says that it means the apps are up to date)
    @jnorris235

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply there.

Thinking outside the box, is it that what’s not working is some YouView functions, or some remote buttons?

If it is, or could be, the latter, fire up your smartphone camera, and point the business end of the new remote at it. As you press buttons, you should see the infrared from the remote made visible on the phone screen, flickering in the end of the remote.

Are there buttons on the remote that show this when pressed, and other buttons that don’t?

In which case, we are (literally!) looking at a faulty remote.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Steve: Bought it off Amazon BT YouView Remote Control
    Sold by: Integrity Everyday Items
    Eligible for return until 24 Sep 2022
    £6.00
    Condition: Used - Very Good - Accessories may have cosmetic damage. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged.

Stephen: all the buttons seem to work OK, it is in Settings that it claims it cannot update apps. You ask “ A loading screen that vanishes without loading the app? An error notification at the top of the screen? Literally nothing?”. So: Home button, scroll down to the Apps, scroll sideways to, for instance, Amazon Prime. Loading screen appears, then goes black, then goes back to the channel it was on. No error message. And using the Guide, fullscreen, go back to, say, yesterday on BBC1, and click on something that used to launch BBC iPlayer. Loading - blackscreen - back to current channel! I can get there, (arrow keys work), just wont load.

So, Roy! That answers you I think. All the buttons do things. Even the Volume button changes volume, which it didnt used to!

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    Well given that the remote seem to be navigate correctly and you are effectively only then pressing OK to (what you would expect to launch the player(s) ) it seems to be performing correctly.  
    My thoughts are  either .

there is some issue with the  box IP address not being recognised as a valid UK  one  and the players are refusing to load on geographical restrictions 

Or
     the players  (apps) need to be reloaded (reinstalled) for some reason which I believe will require a maintenance mode reset 2  ( keeping recordings) on the box.

probably worth waiting to see if Stephen has any other ideas for resolution.
    edited 4 September 2022, 9:35PM
    @jnorris235

Thanks again.

I now have two theories:-
    (i) All the buttons work except for the OK button, which now goes ‘OK - er, belay that, don’t do anything’

This can be discounted if there are many places where the OK button does work as expected - are there?

(ii) completely coincidentally, the box stopped working properly since the first remote stopped working properly. Either because the failing old remote sent codes that discombobulated the box, or because the box chose this moment to go sideways.

Here, I concur with @zulu17’s suggestion of a Maintenance Mode Option 2 to see if that sorts things out:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

if you are not familiar with this, read up on it there, use the right procedure for your particular model of box, and prepare to lose your tunings, any non-standard settings, and so on, except it will preserve all your recordings, and your schedule may creep back onto the machine over a couple of hours.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Triple concur with Maintenance Mode!
    Guys - thank you so much for your time and effort. The reboot (and it nearly got a physical one) did the trick. Wow. Why did it do that?!!
    Guys - thank you so much for your time and effort. The reboot (and it nearly got a physical one) did the trick. Wow. Why did it do that?!!
    The running software got corrupted by some glitch. Might have been random, a cosmic ray, a very obscure mis-setting in a program, but the box continued running, ever so slightly awry, as you discovered.

MM2 says ‘toss that running software away, and replace it with the clean copy stored elsewhere on the box’, and provided there are no hardware or disc corruption issues, the box is back to normal.

MM4 is the same, but gets its fresh copy from YouView’s servers as if this was an update.

MM5 wipes the slate clean, this option including reformatting the disc. It’s the only option which can resolve disc corruption, but at the cost of wiping everything. Factory Reset is slightly misleading though - it doesn’t go back to the software release it left the factory with, so it’s like a Factory Reset as if it left the factory today, with the latest software release on. 🙂
    Its been a pleasure to learn more. As for your tag line, I have that as a fridge magnet so my wife lives by that rule.
  • BillyMBillyM Member Posts: 13
    Roy said:
    The running software got corrupted by some glitch. Might have been random, a cosmic ray, a very obscure mis-setting in a program, but the box continued running, ever so slightly awry, as you discovered.

MM2 says ‘toss that running software away, and replace it with the clean copy stored elsewhere on the box’, and provided there are no hardware or disc corruption issues, the box is back to normal.

MM4 is the same, but gets its fresh copy from YouView’s servers as if this was an update.

MM5 wipes the slate clean, this option including reformatting the disc. It’s the only option which can resolve disc corruption, but at the cost of wiping everything. Factory Reset is slightly misleading though - it doesn’t go back to the software release it left the factory with, so it’s like a Factory Reset as if it left the factory today, with the latest software release on. 🙂
    Thanks for explaining Maintenance Mode Roy. How do MM1 and MM3 fit in your list?
    BillyM said:
    Roy said:

Thanks for explaining Maintenance Mode Roy. How do MM1 and MM3 fit in your list?
    @BillyM

MM1 is as near as dammit the same as the soft reboot you get if you keep your finger on the On/Standby button of the box for just over 8 seconds.

IIRC, @Stephen enumerated a couple of tiny differences between the two processes, but nothing that would make you choose one over the other.

MM3 is like MM2, but it deletes your recordings, I.e. it will clear up disc corruption to an extent, but still relies on restoring and using the box’s backup copy of the software.

The YouView Help says to use this if MM2 doesn’t work, but if I have to delete my recordings to recover my box, I would go for the full monty MM5.

Wiser counsel at YouView Towers though, may know of scenarios where MM3 is indicated, and MM5 not.

I believe the Factory Reset option in Settings is an MM5…
  • BillyMBillyM Member Posts: 13
    Thanks @Roy I always try MM2 first before MM3 as losing recordings would be a bit of a pain. I've never seen MM4 or MM5 recommended on the BT forum so was pleased to see your explanation.