Freeview channels have disappeared after I cancelled my BT contract?!

skafteskafte Member Posts: 3
Hi there everyone, hope you are well.

I've been searching the Internet for an answer, but I haven't found any reliable answer to this yet and so I'm hoping that someone in here can help.

I've just canceled my contract with BT, but I still have my TV box and would like to keep using it for things like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. However, I've suddenly lost all Freeview channels, and as far as I'm aware, you should still be able to watch those even without a BT contract, right?

Have anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any solutions for this by any chance? I've factory reset the TV box and reconnected all cables but that didn't help. In fact, I've even tried with another (older) BT TV box and the channels had gone on that as well; so I assume this hasn't got anything to do with my TV box, but with the fact that I've canceled my BT contract – which I thought wouldn't affect my access to Freeview channels?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 September 2022, 12:08PM
    If you connect your aerial directly to your TV  do you still receive the Freeview channels on the TV.
    Which BT TV box are you using , if the BT TV Box Pro  is was that setup in IP or aerial mode ?
  • skafteskafte Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your quick response @zulu17!

No, I don't get the channels when I connect the aerial directly to my TV either. Perhaps that antenna is just completely useless? -but shouldn't I still be able to receive the Freeview channels via my new Internet anyway?

I never thought my Freeview channels came through the Internet before as it acted more like traditional TV; it was instant and the signal wasn't always 100%; so I just thought all the Freeview channels came through the antenna.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,046 ✭✭
    edited 4 September 2022, 1:50PM
    I think this is just a coincidence you losing Freeview the same time as leaving BT.

Your youview box receives Freeview via a aerial not the Internet. 

Freeview as the name indicates is completely free to anyone and has no connection whatsoever with BT.

Without a BT sub your youview box is a fully functional Freeview pvr. 

I think your particular problem is your aerial as  you say tou can't receive Freeview through your tv. 

As a footnote if your BT subscription started after December 2019 then you can't keep the box.

Deacon Blue hit from October 88
  • skafteskafte Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input @kodikid!

I fear you might be right, in which case, would mean getting a new antenna  :'(

Do you, by any chance, know if the BT TV box then can't act as a 'Freeview Play TV'? Hope that makes sense. I was just hoping that if the antenna has failed, then maybe I could simply watch Freeview channels via the Internet like how a 'Freeview Play TV' does it. Here's how they describe it on the Freeview website:
    Viewing Freeview without an aerial
    In addition to viewing your favourite programmes through the TV Guide using the aerial connection, you can also watch some programmes through an internet connection on a connected Freeview Play TV, on mobile phones and tablets through our mobile app or on your computer using our website. – https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/do-i-need-aerial
    edited 4 September 2022, 2:43PM
    Of course you can watch all the main channels (BBC ITV etc) through the relevant apps on your  youview box.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 September 2022, 3:56PM
    @skafte

I’m not much for coincidences, though they do happen.

Did you disturb your setup at all, physically, as a result of leaving BT? 

If so - or perhaps even if not - I would trace your aerial connection back to your TV aerial, on the roof or in the loft perhaps, as far as you can, to see if all connections are made.

We had one user who lost his TV aerial connection, and it was because the curtains had been drawn in another room, and this had pulled apart a flying connector in the aerial feed.

And anywhere there’s no power to a masthead amplifier, the solution is to have the power supply in a bedroom, and send the power back up the aerial cable; people switch them off, or disconnect them from the wall socket ‘because they’re not doing anything’, perhaps because they are taking the TV out of that room. And every TV in the house goes blank 😢

Certainly, though, you can’t get Freeview over the internet, except with the latest two BT boxes, and on a BT subscription; and even if you had one of those, it’s only been going for a week or so, and I think you would know if you had switched to it.

I notice you talk about new internet; have you already switched away from BT  then?

To add to what @kodikid said, any YouView box supplied to you since December 2019, BT will want sent back to them; and they will charge you a non-return fee if you don’t.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 662 ✭✭
    The BT box is a YouView one, not a Freeview plus or play box.

Both receive Freeview channels via the aerial, but have different user interfaces and provide different services.

If you want the freeview channels direct and not via catchup using the Apps like IPlayer or ITV Hub, the you do need a working aerial.
    kodikid said:
    Of course you can watch all the main channels (BBC ITV etc) through the relevant apps on your  youview box.
    As long as you have tuned in those channels at some time in the past, and not reset the box since.

I think some people at YouView must be Joseph Heller fans.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 4 September 2022, 6:05PM
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:
    As long as you have tuned in those channels at some time in the past, and not reset the box since.

That's not entirely accurate Roy. 
    Freeview channels on apps don't need tuning in.

edited 4 September 2022, 9:29PM
    kodikid said:
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:

That's not entirely accurate Roy. 
    Freeview channels on apps don't need tuning in.

@kodikid

It used to be that in order to use, say, the itv Hub app on a Tnnnn YouView box, you had to have tuned terrestrial channel 3 earlier, in order that the app could know which region you were in, and show targeted ads accordingly.

Is this no longer the case? If so, I must have missed the memo 😢

I know it is no longer the case with the YouView-supplied apps on Sony Android TVs from 2020 onward, which just request your postcode if they can’t get your region from the tuning process, but I didn’t think this had been applied to the YouView boxes, certainly those pre-Pro.