CBS Reality app crashing on Sony TV

Hi

I’m starting a new thread on this, as previous one got conflated with parental control issues. That aspect resolved itself, but issue now is CBS Reality app keeps crashing on my Sony KD49XF9005. (Bought in 2019 by brother but given to us recently)

Problem

You’ll know that the CBS Reality app resides within Youview/Players on Sony TV.

The app crashes after loading. You just get permanent black screen. Other apps in Youview/Players location work well. There is nothing wrong with TV, so glitch is connected to YouView and the app.

I”ve been through the five standard Youview steps recommended to rectify without success. 

To note-the app works (albeit briefly) with the TV soft reset, but crashes after switching off/on. The same thing happened with Sony software update-works until you switch off, then back on. Note that the error occurs while TV connected to aerial. On the other hand the instances above where app briefly launched occurred with no aerial connection. Ie disproving link between error and aerial status.

TV was connected to aerial for initial installation. Also done channel rescan yesterday. 

Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    @Sarah et al

Any chance you can try reproducing this at YouView Towers?

Or any denizen of this Community with a Sony Android TV of similar (or even different) vintage?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Shaun FShaun F Administrator Posts: 14 admin
    Hello @KlausVinza
    Thank you for raising this to us.

Would you be able to test the VOD 365 and POP Player to see if you get a similar crashing or blank screen issue?

Thank you!
  • Shaun F said:
    Hello @KlausVinza
    Thank you for raising this to us.

Would you be able to test the VOD 365 and POP Player to see if you get a similar crashing or blank screen issue?

Thanks for pursuing this. The POP Player works. I don’t have VOD 365 within Youview Players. I only have the “Big Four”, STV Player, Pop Player and CBS Reality apps.

(Also checked main app screen but not there. However, appreciate this was Youview app, rolled out 2018)

Finally, I just get blank screen after loading CBS Reality. Not sure whether this equates to crashing or some other error?)

V perplexing.

Thanks.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 September 2022, 2:48PM
    @“Shaun F” @KlausVinza

Here are two people with a very similar issue, but for them it is the itv Hub app:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/itv-hub/m-p/3884295#M59950
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Hi @KlausVinza
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    We are still investigating this issue.
    Would you be able to try these steps:
    https://support.youview.com/youview-on-sony/on-demand-players-apps/on-demand-player-not-working/

Thanks in advance!
  • KlausVinzaKlausVinza Member Posts: 7
    Hi

I’ve already tried all that. Furthermore, clearing data requires having to resign into all the various apps. Don’t want to go through that nightmare again. 

The app was ok while my bro had the TV. I’m therefore guessing it’s somehow connected to recent tv software update? That said, all the other embedded apps are working fine. 

It launched suddenly yesterday, but crashed again when TV switched off/on. I can’t believe I’m the only one with this 2019 Bravia unable to watch the native app?

• Hi

I’m starting a new thread on this, as previous one got conflated with parental control issues. That aspect resolved itself, but issue now is CBS Reality app keeps crashing on my Sony KD49XF9005. (Bought in 2019 by brother but given to us recently)

Problem

You’ll know that the CBS Reality app resides within Youview/Players on Sony TV.

The app crashes after loading. You just get permanent black screen. Other apps in Youview/Players location work well. There is nothing wrong with TV, so glitch is connected to YouView and the app.

I”ve been through the five standard Youview steps recommended to rectify without success. 

To note-the app works (albeit briefly) with the TV soft reset, but crashes after switching off/on. The same thing happened with Sony software update-works until you switch off, then back on. Note that the error occurs while TV connected to aerial. On the other hand the instances above where app briefly launched occurred with no aerial connection. Ie disproving link between error and aerial status.

TV was connected to aerial for initial installation. Also done channel rescan yesterday. 

Any advice/support would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks 

Hi,
    I am following you’re thread as I am having the same issue on my Sony Bravia 800H. I currently only experience this with my CBS App, anytime I attempt to click the “live headlines” screen. It then gives me some black smudge screen and freezes. I noticed this last month that it started lagging up on opening the app and then just stopped working altogether. Tv was purchased in 2021 and is an Android tv. I’ve included pictures to show what happens when I click a screen within the app  it then results to the guide version yet it doesn’t allow me to select or actually play anything  Software: PKG6.5066.0634NAA 

Hi @techprod310
    I'm sorry that you're having problems.
    Are you able to give us the full model number of the Television you've got?

Thanks
    Shaun