BBC Green Button / restart BBC programmes

RJSRJS Member Posts: 1
Hello.

I have a Sony TV that unfortunately forces me to use YouView instead of Freeview.

How do I restart BBC TV programmes? In FreeView there is the option of pressing the Green button, but it doesn't appear in YouView. 

The only alternative I can see seems to involve faffing about opening the iPlayer app, finding the channel and programme and pressing the restart button there.

Is there a quicker and easier way to restart BBC programmes in YouView?

Thanks.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭
    @RJS

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

Given the various implementations of YouView on Sony Android TVs over the years, it would be helpful to know the model number of the TV. I’m guessing yours is from before 2020, but it would be nice to be sure.

I don’t have a Sony Android TV here to try, but I do have a YouView box, which I’ve just tried BBC 1 on, and I was offered the Green button restart, and also the YouView alternative of ‘press and hold OK’ to restart.

This is an alternative that works both for live programmes and on catchup ones. I don’t know if your TV’s YouView will do this, but it’s worth a try.

On the larger issue, I’m not sure what you think ‘forces’ you to use YouView? But I am guessing that it’s that you lose the itv Hub and All4. In which case, Hoshsadiq (look him up on Google) may be your friend. 

Alternatively, a lot of people get an inexpensive Amazon Firestick or Roku Express, to get these Players without the restrictions that YouView imposes on pre-2020 sets.

Either way, you would be able to go back to the Freeview side of your TV, where you can, even as things are now, use the BBC iPlayer and My5 apps on the set, as these app don’t require YouView to be running.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris