Failed/short/clipped recordings

meyou2meyou2 Member Posts: 51
edited 4 October 2022, 12:21AM in Support
The sort of failed/short/clipped recordings reported a couple of years ago seem to be back, with exactly the same symptoms are before.
Recordings of Newsnight on BBC2 (SD) has been dropping the last minute or two for at least a week now and I've had other BBC/CH4/E4 programmes start recording a minute or two late and/or finish a minute or two early and, in a couple of cases, start recording a minute before time and record only 30 seconds or so before stopping recording.
It's all very reminiscent of the https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/19005380/#Comment_19005380 issue so, before we go through yonks of investigations and lots of failed/short/clipped recordings, could you please get Arqiva to check if the Crystal Palace transmitter has had another glitch causing it to flip to the “B” feed inputs, as happened the last time.
It's happening on both of my DN372Ts, both of which are at 3.7.234/72.48.91.

Comments

• Louise MurdochLouise Murdoch Administrator Posts: 136 admin
    Hi @meyou2

The original issue with the Crystal Palace transmitter affected the D3&4 MUX, I do recall at the time we also had issues with BBC clipped recordings which we were treating separately, so it may be the case to do so again.

Could you provide some example programmes and channels which are recording only 30 seconds of content and then stopping?

Are you seeing any examples of failed recordings, as this was typically the symptom we saw during the previous issue?

Thanks,
    Louise.
  • meyou2meyou2 Member Posts: 51
    edited 4 October 2022, 8:58PM
    The Newsnight dropping the last minute or two problem has been for every programme for at least the last week so with any luck if one of your team receiving from Crystal Palace tries to record it tonight they'll be able to reproduce it.  (Bet now I've said that it fixes itself tonight!)
    The Farmer Wants a Wife on E4 last night at 7.30pm gave a just 30 seconds recording.  I also had one for an episode of Married at First Sight last week (also E4) but I can't remember which day, however MAFS has also often (but not always) dropped the last minute or two recently.
    Failed recordings, one Politics Live last week but can't remember which day.
    Before we go into keeping logs and yonks of investigations perhaps you could just ask Arqiva to check if Crystal Palace is on the “B” feed inputs again.  Last time it took some four months to resolve the issue, hopefully it can be a lot shorter this time.  :-)
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I too have noticed the timings being off for various recordings the last few weeks. Probably since the Queen passed away and all the resulting schedule disruption - understandably - but it's almost like the AR hasn't worked since the schedule returned to some kind of normality.

I would say across all the (main) channels - ie starting early or late, or the end chopped off. This is across both Youview and other recording boxes. I'm in the Anglia region (Sudbury transmitter) so may be unrelated, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
  • meyou2meyou2 Member Posts: 51
    edited 7 October 2022, 11:42PM
    Rob P said:
    I too have noticed the timings being off for various recordings the last few weeks. Probably since the Queen passed away and all the resulting schedule disruption - understandably - but it's almost like the AR hasn't worked since the schedule returned to some kind of normality.

I would say across all the (main) channels - ie starting early or late, or the end chopped off. This is across both Youview and other recording boxes. I'm in the Anglia region (Sudbury transmitter) so may be unrelated, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
    I'd forgiven and not counted timing problems and failed recordings during the mourning period but I think you're right about there being continued problems since.  And last time this happened (if it's the same problem) it did so across several regions, so, yes, worth mentioning. :smile:
    @Louise Murdoch, since my previous post I've had one MAFS and one Politics Live recordings truncated and all Newsnights except tonights (Friday), which was the first time in a couple of weeks that Newsnight recorded perfectly ok, so I don't know if the problem has been fixed/gone away  or if that was just luck of the draw. I'll report back if I get any further problems.