Britbox won't play content

SirAndrewSirAndrew Member Posts: 2
I can access my Britbox content fine from devices, but via Youview they screen blank and say "try again later". I've rebooted lots of times.

Youview is also reporting “We can't update your Apps" in the software setup.

Ongoing for a couple of months. 

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 681 ✭✭
    What box or TV model do you have? Early generation boxes such as the Humax T1*** series and 370T TalkTalk boxes are, I think not compatible with this app.

If so then I'd recommend getting an Amazon firestick. 

If you have a box under contract with NT or TalkTalk you may find they can help with a new box of some description.
  • SirAndrewSirAndrew Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. It's through BT and a few years old. It used to play Britbox OK but suddenly stopped. I suspect getting BT to give me a new box may be the way ahead. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭
    @SirAndrew @Sarah

YouView has been reporting ‘We can’t update your apps’, whether it can or not, for yonks now.

More than high time this was fixed 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    edited 7 October 2022, 11:46PM
    Really don't bother using my youview box for apps...so many inexpensive far superior alternatives. 
    With Prime day almost upon us you can grab a firestick for a tenner .
    Literally a no brainer 
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
    kodikid said:
    Really don't bother using my youview box for apps...so many inexpensive far superior alternatives. 
    With Prime day almost upon us you can grab a firestick for a tenner .
    Literally a no brainer 
    @kodikid

Is this box supposed to be able to play Britbox?
    Is this user entitled, for his purchased price or ongoing subscription, to expect his box to play Britbox, or have the issue why it won’t remedied?
    Is the user expected to give up a further HDMI port so he can watch Britbox?

If the answer to the first two questions is Yes, and to the third is No, then you taking some sort of ‘easy way out’ has no bearing here.

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 8 October 2022, 12:27PM
    Watch out for the point Roy...

phew missed it.

Morally yes in a perfect world it would work.

It doesn't and it isn't 

Plan B

Have a back up instead of getting your back up. 

End of sermon 

edited 8 October 2022, 3:25PM
    @kodikid

Yes, but it’s a knife the cuts both ways. Our 2020 LG TVs are devoid of All4.

So we have Roku Express devices to provide this (bye bye an HDMI slot on each TV). But it’s a regular faint annoyance that we can’t just pick All4 off the Home Menu on the TV, we have to press the Select Inputs button, choose the Roku, navigate on that to the All4 app, and then start it. Four button presses instead of two, not to mention the mental gear change.

But at least this was an app we were never promised; imagine, if it were an app we were promised, like Britbox is on the YouView box, having to go through something like that, which is what you were advocating.

But at least with All4 on Roku versus the TV, we are not cutting ourselves off from what having to have Britbox on a Stick instead of on YouView implies; that you no longer have access to Britbox via the YouView integrated Search which, when you ask for a programme, and Britbox is the only or best source for it, will play it for you. Instead, you have to break off from the YouView box, open Britbox on your Stick, and then play it. Or worse, the failure of Britbox isn’t just that it won’t play, it’s that its content is not even being indexed for you.

And suddenly, JustWatch becomes essential to you; another thing you have to look at.

So who’s missing the point here? 
    Those of us expecting YouView to make Plan A work as it should? 
    Or you, expecting users to go with your somewhat second-class Plan B?

Plan B or not plan B

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 905 ✭✭
    edited 9 October 2022, 12:10PM
    I agree, I now use a Amazon Firestick & it is far superior compared to Youview + also Freesat. Freesat is always slow now and some apps discontinued inc. ITV Hub.

BUT I agree with @roy with regards HDMI. Not everyone has tvs with enough HDMI sockets. My Cinema amp I have had to reconfigure/rearrange spaces as I have run out of hdmi inputs for various equipment. Downstairs tv only has 2 HDMI inputs.

Yes, I know you can use an HDMI switcher/extender (in some cases not very relaible), but at the end of the day, you are only putting a sticky plaster on the problem & ideally the problem is still there for many users. . . . . it's a throw away world! Amazon must be making a bomb in sales! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 9 October 2022, 1:20PM
    To me the alleged loss of said HDMI slot is a small price to pay to enjoy Disney..Apple..YouTube etc.

But in all fairness it isn't a issue for me as I use a roku streambar.

Actually toying with removing the now never used dvd player so I'll actually have a spare port.
    edited 9 October 2022, 1:24PM
    kodikid said:

Plan B or not plan B

That is the question;
    Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind
    To suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous @kodikid
    Or by opposing, end them
    😛
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 905 ✭✭
    @roy,
    there should be another hdmi input slot for the "added entertainment" (@kodikid B) ). But why waste a slot? 

Loving my 4K Firestick, but I still record a lot of tv. Won't bin any of my pvrs inc Youview! Now got the best of both worlds. Streaming is ok, but call me old fashioned, still prefer watching recordings, easier to navigate in some cases/skip adverts & being able to not have a time limit on some recordings. You have more control + without annoyance of adverts. 

Back to the main point though. If you subscribe/purchase a device to watch Britbox, you should be able to without glitches. Only seems fair? Amazon + Roku must be enjoying a big sales boom. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 9 October 2022, 2:32PM
    All a bit academic as Britbox will cease to exist as a stand alone app next month.

Apparently it's going to be only accessible through the new ITVx app.

Can't wait.....not
    John L said:
    @roy,
    there should be another hdmi input slot for the "added entertainment" (@kodikid B) ). But why waste a slot? 

Loving my 4K Firestick, but I still record a lot of tv. Won't bin any of my pvrs inc Youview! Now got the best of both worlds. Streaming is ok, but call me old fashioned, still prefer watching recordings, easier to navigate in some cases/skip adverts & being able to not have a time limit on some recordings. You have more control + without annoyance of adverts. 

Back to the main point though. If you subscribe/purchase a device to watch Britbox, you should be able to without glitches. Only seems fair? Amazon + Roku must be enjoying a big sales boom. John L
    @John L

Our YouView boxes principally record Homes Under the Hammer And Countdown. But only as a fallback for when the Channel Four or BBC catchup services let us down. We have All4+, so we don’t even get adverts to skip.

Now sent me an Amazon Firestick to make up for dropping Now on our 2015 Samsung JS9000, which was very nice of them, though it’s only the basic one, with no UHD. But then neither has Now 😛

I fancy a half-price Max on Tuesday; I would then have more Fire devices than I have TVs, except that I can’t get on with the Firecube, which has not lived up to its promise. Or maybe I haven’t lived up to its, and I should try it again 🥴