Recording wrong program

janey70janey70 Member Posts: 8
Hi I have a human DTRT2100 you view box had it for about seven years now , never had a problem with it .. until lately .. 
I wanted to record a series so set it to do so and when I went to watch it noticed it hadn’t recorded, so did it again thinking I must of forgot but same thing happened! Instead it is recording a different program of a similar name 
I’ve tried everything I can think of , deleting wrong program resetting to right one and it says the program I want will be recorded but when I look into future recordings it’s the wrong program again 😡
Any help plz ? 

Comments

• AlexAlex Administrator Posts: 17 admin
    Hi @janey70, sorry to hear you're having issues - what program where you trying to record, and what did it record instead?
  • janey70janey70 Member Posts: 8
    Alex said:
    Hi @janey70, sorry to hear you're having issues - what program were you trying to record, and what did it record instead? 
    Hi i was trying to record “The Handmaid’s Tale”but it records “Handmade Britain’s best woodworker” instead 

Thanks @janey70 - what date/time where you trying to record?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    @Alex @janey70

Confirmed here, on Channel 4 SD, on our T2100.

But I bet it will be the same on any YouView box, and probably any PVR, as I suspect Channel 4 have got the CRIDs wrong,

(CRIDs are unique programme/series identifiers - or at least they ought to be! - and they are what YouView uses to identify what to record).
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • janey70janey70 Member Posts: 8
    Alex said:
    Channel 4 Sundays at 9 pm 
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭
    Short explanation is the data passed thru to Youview  has the same SERIES CRID for two entirely different programmes.
    So the user did unknowingly request the Handmade :; Britain's Best Woodworker to be recorded.

The reason is that the same Series CRid is being used for the Handmade Woodworker programs as for the new series of the Handmaid's Tale. So you selecting series record for either of these programmes will i believe result in both sets of episodes being recorded. Also if you decide to cancel the  (series) recording of either you will cancel both.

So down to the (lack of ) management of the data supplied from Channel 4 or its distributor.   They need to use seperate Series CRids but they are not currently  -rather basic stuff and you would think they could/should be able to resolve quickly but has being going on for a couple of weeks now.

edited 8 November 2022, 9:22PM
    @zulu17 @janey70 @Alex

Confirmed - although on a YouView box it only shows the next programme for a Series CRID, and that is Handmade Woodworker, the BT App shows, like the YouView app used to, that the next Handmaid’s Tale episode, later in the week, is indeed also scheduled.

(It might be a useful enhancement to the Schedule on YouView boxes if they also did that).

So, @janey70, if you leave things as they are after setting the Series recording for Handmaid’s Tale, you should indeed get the Handmaid’s Tale, and just have extra recordings you don’t want, of Handmade Woodworker episodes, which you can delete as they appear.

Just don’t cancel the Series recording or, as @zulu17 describes, you will throw the Handmaid’s Tale baby out with the Handmade Woodworker bathwater!

@zulu17 - the problem with correcting the CRIDs is that people scheduling whichever programme has its CRID altered will no longer get their expected recordings. This would leave a few disappointed fans of woodworking (or a lot of disappointed fans of Offred if Channel Four were foolish enough to change that CRID).
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I can confirm the problem is not limited to YouView devices, I have the same on my Manhattan T3-R as well. 

Yes @Roy mistakes such as these have consequences, presumably one of the series has the correct CRID and one has been assigned the same CRID in error. The  one assigned in error should be changed to its correct value which will require the series recording to be set afresh.
    edited 9 November 2022, 7:49AM
    zulu17 said:
    Yes @Roy mistakes such as these have consequences, presumably one of the series has the correct CRID and one has been assigned the same CRID in error. The  one assigned in error should be changed to its correct value which will require the series recording to be set afresh.
    @zulu17

But I don’t think Channel Four have any mechanism to inform viewers that they will need to do this, have they? So there would likely be disappointments if this happened.

On a related note, though, I don’t think we have yet explained why @janey70’s last recording of the Handmaid’s Tale failed.

A Series recording set for this, when there was no future Woodworker programme preceding it, should show on the YouView box Schedule as The Handmaid’s Tale, and record the correct programme, even though the Schedule would later go on to show, and the box to record, the next Woodworker programme.

But for the recording of The Handmaid’s Tale to fail, there must be something else going wrong; either one of the usual reasons that recordings fail, or, far more likely in this case I think, some other error in the programme metadata besides just the duplicated CRID.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 614 ✭✭
    I had the same issue and saw Handmaid's Tail in the schedule so cancelled which then cancelled the woodworker programme which I didn't realise was because of an incorrect linking.
    Because of the unexpected extra programme in the schedule there might have been a clash and a failed recording because of the box being unable to record more than 2 programmes at once. Just a thought.
    janey70 said:
    Alex said:
    Hi we believe this to be resolved now, but can you please let us know if you see any odd behaviour around recording this program?
  • Rob PRob P Member Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Alex said:
    janey70 said:
    Alex said:
    Hi we believe this to be resolved now, but can you please let us know if you see any odd behaviour around recording this program?
    I also believe it to be resolved, but mainly because the woodworking show appears to have finished now.
    Yes the likiehood is the resolution was simply to do nothing and allow  one series to finish.  However the three weeks or so whilst the issue was impacting users (admittedly across several devices) should not be ignored. Whilst the data error may  had occurred upstream  with C4 data handlers the impact is seen on peoples recordable devices. So  the lasting memory of most people will be that their (Freeview or Youview or BT Tv)  box either recorded extra programs or missed recordings.  
    Remember both these programmes were peak time on a main PSB broadcaster. Pity little or no action was taken.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭
    edited 10 November 2022, 10:59PM
    In this golden age of streaming PSB's have literally no interest in recording issues. 

Sadly people who record terrestrial (or even watch)  are on the decline..hence Sky's seemingly abandonment of pvr's. 
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
    kodikid said:
    In this golden age of streaming PSB's have literally no interest in recording issues. 

Sadly people who record terrestrial (or even watch)  are on the decline..hence Sky's seemingly abandonment of pvr's. 
    @kodikid

Strange they are still using CRIDs then, isn’t it?

But the golden age of streaming, which I count as the period when most people could afford all the streaming services that brought the content they were interested in, is already over; the cake that was once sliced four ways is now sliced seven or more, at largely the same price per slice. For the same overall cake 😢
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭
    edited 11 November 2022, 1:49PM
    Don't mention cake to me.

Last time I ate birthday cake it give me terrible heart burn....

mind you it was partly my fault for not removing the candles. 

You can tell I'm bored..have to wait in for our new router
     (fibre bound next week)

It's allegedly supposed to fit through a letter box but pretty certain the fall onto a wooden floor is not beneficial to it.

So waiting in to catch that nice post lady .
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
    edited 11 November 2022, 9:44PM
    kodikid said:
    Don't mention cake to me.

Last time I ate birthday cake it give me terrible heart burn....

mind you it was partly my fault for not removing the candles. 

You can tell I'm bored..have to wait in for our new router
     (fibre bound next week)

It's allegedly supposed to fit through a letter box but pretty certain the fall onto a wooden floor is not beneficial to it.

So waiting in to catch that nice post lady .
    @kodikid

You think she’ll be coming through the letter box as well?

But if your front door isn’t too busy, place a pillow below the letter box.
    That should make the router’s landing as soft as an 8-second reset 😛