BT TV Box Pro Software Update - 4.0.250 / 0.6.152

AlexAlex Administrator Posts: 17 admin
edited 8 November 2022, 5:53PM in Announcements
Hi All,

Please feel free to discuss the BT TV Box Pro Software Update - 4.0.250 / 0.6.152 in this thread.

This is a maintenance software release for BT TV Box Pro devices which contains no new features.

Thanks,

Alex

Comments

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 November 2022, 8:36PM
    Well when I checked yesterday the two previous updates were still showing in progress (ie neither shown as complete ),So this now seems to add a third update to the queue.
    Have the two previous updates been consolidated  into this release or is there a queue of three updates to be delivered separately ?
  • Despite several manual update attempts etc, my recently arrived BT Pro box still appears to be on 4.0.238 / 0.6.112. What am I doing wrong? 

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November 2022, 11:10AM
    @Victor_Delta

Not a thing. The updates are phased out to the eligible boxes across the update period, and you can’t load the update before your box is notified that the update is ready to be delivered to it.

And once that happens, the update will be installed automatically overnight, if the box is in standby or on, and idling.

So there is only ever this very short window of less than 24 hours before the update would be installed automatically anyway, during which you can pull it down manually.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Thanks. And, typically, how long is the update period - days or weeks?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 November 2022, 11:06AM
    Thanks. And, typically, how long is the update period - days or weeks?
    @Victor_Delta

Weeks rather than days. But you need to ask YouView how long exactly.

There’s something unusual going on with the new boxes at the moment, as updates normally come out one at a time, yet there are several on the go at present, which is something I don’t understand.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Thanks. Perhaps one of the admins will be kind enough to explain these points on here?
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. And, typically, how long is the update period - days or weeks?
    The Latest box versions page is updated when a software rollout is complete.
    Your box is starting from a different version from the one shown, but it should still update to the latest version before the rollout completes.
    Is your box working as it should?
  • Victor_DeltaVictor_Delta Member Posts: 6
    edited 14 November 2022, 11:23PM
    jonesh said:
    I wish I knew!
    When I installed the box on 4 November, it immediately updated its software to what it said was then the latest version, so I would have thought it would at least be on 4.0.246 / 0.6.124.

I tried another manual update this evening but it's still on 4.0.238 / 0.6.112.
    Guess I'll just have to wait until it updates automatically in due course...?
    jonesh said:
    I wish I knew!
    When I installed the box on 4 November, it immediately updated its software to what it said was then the latest version, so I would have thought it would at least be on 4.0.246 / 0.6.124.

I tried another manual update this evening but it's still on 4.0.238 / 0.6.112.
    Guess I'll just have to wait until it updates automatically in due course...?
    I meant is it functioning correctly as a BT Youview PVR?
    Is it playing the BT and Freeview channels? Does it record? Do the apps work?
    There is little point in trying to update the box manually. As @Roy said, leave it in standby overnight and it should update itself when its turn comes.
    Report back if the software hasn't updated by the time that the rollout has been marked as complete.
  • Yes, by and large, it does seem to be functioning correctly although there are one or two things I haven't mastered yet.

I have set it to the (recommended) Smart mode. Surely one doesn't need to leave the box switched on overnight in order to catch the updates...? The blurb says it updates automatically - implying you don't have to do anything special.
    Yes, by and large, it does seem to be functioning correctly although there are one or two things I haven't mastered yet.

I have set it to the (recommended) Smart mode. Surely one doesn't need to leave the box switched on overnight in order to catch the updates...? The blurb says it updates automatically - implying you don't have to do anything special.
    You don't have to do anything special.
    Leave the box in Smart standby. Just don't turn it off at the mains at night.
  • OK, thanks.