New BT 4k UHD 500GB box just installed. All HD Channels have failed!

clairmark1clairmark1 Member Posts: 6
edited 7 December 2022, 11:06AM in Community
All SD channels are working fine. I went assidously through all the all trobleshooting steps to activate - ALL THE HD CHANNELS  FAILED!
Please assist me to rectify?

Comments

• clairmark1clairmark1 Member Posts: 6
    I've finanlly managed to get through to BT Tech. Support & discovered the only way to activate the HD channels on this PVR is to subscribe to BT's  broadband & take the minimum entertainment package of £198.00 p.a. !!!
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 615 ✭✭
    edited 7 December 2022, 12:43PM
    So this is non-BT purchased box, like eBay?
    Presumably when you say all HD channels failed you're referring to the like of BBC 1HD on 101 etc.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 924 ✭✭
    edited 7 December 2022, 3:24PM
    Hi @clairmark1,
    Welcome to the Youview forum.
    That information from BT is not correct! The HD channels you are referring to, do you mean BBC1 HD on Channel 101, ITV HD on 103 etc not able to receive these and other HD channels? If so, then BT have given false information to you. Yes, the internet channels you will not get, but should get all Freeview channels in SD/HD, unless there is a problem with your aerial setup. 

Have you tried seeing if your tv can receive HD channels via the tv's built-in tuner? If you can then aerial should be ok. Be interested to know more @clairmark1. I am glad I own my own equipment & the "engineer" is me to fix the problems. They are ripping you off! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2022, 5:46PM
    All SD channels are working fine. I went assidously through all the all trobleshooting steps to activate - ALL THE HD CHANNELS  FAILED!
    Have you had reception problems before?
    To get some information about the signal from your aerial, use your box's remote to open the Menu screen. Open the Settings menu by pressing OK on the cog in the top right corner of the screen. Go to Signal & Connection and select Signal Quality. Make a note of the Signal Strength and Quality readings and post them here.

Edit - Signal Strength should be greater than 50%, with Signal Quality 100%. 
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Looking at previous entries from @clairmark1 i see this on their profile

I'm very concerned about the extremely poor live reception on almost all Youview HD channels in the Xxxxxx postal area over the last few week, but especially over this last weekend. The picture reception up here on the North Downs in East Surrey is unacceptable. The picture freezing & de-pix-elating has been appalling! I therefore think that this problem should be reported & the inadequacies of the transmission service needs to be rectified. 

So does seem there is a history of issues.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 924 ✭✭
    Hi @clairmark1

I agree with the other users Inc @zulu17 ref reception history. Have you checked your signal strength via Youview PVR menu plus also compared this with TV's own tuner menu signal strength? The big clue maybe your aerial reception to all devices? Are all your TV's having same problems? Maybe a simple fix or more involved. Do neighbours have same problems?

Have you checked aerial cables, do you use a signal booster amp it could be faulty blocking signal or maybe fit a signal amp to boost signal, but if a fault in aerial, it will only magnify the weak signal  - I too live in Surrey and have several in my setup due to loads of equipment. Be interested to know how you get on. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings.