BT Pro box no subscription

Hi. Will a BT Pro Box work with out a BT subscription? I currently use the BT 4K Youview box, but fancy switching to internet only TV.

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 924 ✭✭
    edited 9 January 2023, 3:01PM
    Hi. Will a BT Pro Box work with out a BT subscription? I currently use the BT 4K Youview box, but fancy switching to internet only TV.
    Hello @craigtvbug,
    Welcome to the Youview forum. Yes, it will still function as a pvr/internet, but you do need to subscribe to the channels & this is only via your ISP, but have a good read of all the advice given inc pros & cons. Correct me if I am wrong any users out there. John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • craigtvbugcraigtvbug Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comment. I’m not interested in all the subscription channels just the free to view ones, but with an internet only option. Why can I find the pro’s and con’s? Thanks. 
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid the internet-delivered non-subscription channels are currently delivered by BT over their multicast network, so you will still need to be on a BT line and have a (any) BT TV subscription for that mode and those channels to be available on the box.

Purchasing a BT TV Pro box and using it without a subscription or with another ISP will get you an experience similar to your T4000 (although smoother, more future-proof wrt players, and with a bluetooth remote!)
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 924 ✭✭
    Thanks for your comment. I’m not interested in all the subscription channels just the free to view ones, but with an internet only option. Why can I find the pro’s and con’s? Thanks. 
    Might be wise to wait a little longer? As @Stephen mentions, your current pvr: T4000 model is worth staying with. Not much advantage in changing. Where to find pros & cons? You only have to read through the past year or so on various forums, inc, Youview. Just have a look & decide for yourself. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    Stephen said:
    I'm afraid the internet-delivered non-subscription channels are currently delivered by BT over their multicast network, so you will still need to be on a BT line and have a (any) BT TV subscription for that mode and those channels to be available on the box.

Purchasing a BT TV Pro box and using it without a subscription or with another ISP will get you an experience similar to your T4000 (although smoother, more future-proof wrt players, and with a bluetooth remote!)
    @craigtv @Stephen

Plus the ability to record more programmes at once, and the option of WiFi instead of needing to run an Ethernet cable.

Which won’t be a hardship if you are already set up for Ethernet to the T4000, of course.

Though I live in a house dripping with prewired Ethernet, and I still run my T2100 over WiFi, with a nanorouter, as all the ports on the router are already in use, and there’s no room on the shelf it lives on for a switch 😛

@Stephen, what’s the 4K upscaling on the Pro box like? I find the T4000 upscaling gives results slightly inferior to letting my LG GX handle it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris