Channel 5 and channel 5+1

CherieCherie Member Posts: 6
I recorded same 3 programmes (which had subtitles) on both channel 5, and channel 5+1. However none of the programmes recorded on channel 5 showed subtitles but did on channel 5+1.  How is this possible?

Comments

• jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭
    Cherie said:
    I recorded same 3 programmes (which had subtitles) on both channel 5, and channel 5+1. However none of the programmes recorded on channel 5 showed subtitles but did on channel 5+1.  How is this possible?
    @Cherie You can turn subtitles on or off when watching recordings in the same way as live TV. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 717 ✭✭
    Maybe they have not been broadcast with the programme signal.

There were issues a while back with the facility that provided subtitles being out if commission but thought this was all resolved.

If subtitles are broadcast, they are recorded.

Also, despite be +1, and you'd think the broadcast would be the same, they can come from different broadcast sources (and differing Mux), so could include subtitles when encoded when the original source did not broadcast for some reason.

It may be better addressing this query direct to C5 for clarification.
  • CherieCherie Member Posts: 6
    Was unable to turn subtitles on on programmes recorded on Channel 5.  But thankyou for your comments.  I am deaf and therefore very much rely on subtitles.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭
    Be aware that sometimes you can get a message that tells you that subtitles are not available but after a few seconds they still appear.
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 January 2023, 9:34AM
    There do seem to be other reports of a problem with Channel 5 SD subtitles  on some  Youview  boxes.in the Digital  Spy forum. 

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2441229/channel-5-subtitles-on-youview