So is it a risk me buying a new youview box?

Paul1Paul1 Member Posts: 15
edited 6 August 2017, 11:22PM in Archived Posts
Looking at all the problems that are occuring and the cost of the youview box does anyone think its value for money and would you pay £250+ for it?

Comments

• edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    What are "all the problems" you're referring to?

I bought a box, I'm perfectly happy with it but of course there are always little things that can be changed and improved.
  • Paul1Paul1 Member Posts: 15
    edited 3 May 2017, 11:39PM
    looking through the forum there seems to be lots of unsatisfactory users with lots of unsatisfactory problems at the moment! Thats why I ask
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    I think what you're mostly seeing is people asking for some additional features and some people asking for specific issues to be addressed/fixed.

There's a software drop planned for October that will address some issues, including adding new features and YouView have said they're planning to issue 4 software updates per year.

As its backed by two large ISPs and all four of the UK's biggest broadcasters you can be as certain as possible that YouVIew is a service that will just keep getting better.
  • Jeremy BodenJeremy Boden Member Posts: 57
    edited 15 July 2016, 7:32PM
    There's one born every minute.
    edited 21 September 2012, 8:48AM

if you have nothing good to say **** off
  • tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 7:25PM
    Already have one box and planning to get another.

With the resources behind this venture, this device/service will grow to become an awesome source of home entertainment.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 20 September 2012, 10:49PM

a) I don't think Jeremy's post was aimed at you.

b) Given your attitude I think we may as well say goodbye here and now.
  • lloydoflondonlloydoflondon Member Posts: 296
    edited 6 August 2017, 11:17PM
    I've not encountered any problems thus far, and have been on the trial from day one. What many would like is further functionality / additional features to make the user experience better. I've had no problems accessing on-demand content, apart from ITV player. Not had any missed recordings, apart from one where I've turned off the power. The thing worked out of the box. I just had to plug it in to the power point, broadband router (via home plugs) and TV ariel (spelling). "Simples."
    edited 21 September 2012, 5:56AM
    Thanks for the replys so far people! :-)
  • derek1derek1 Member Posts: 34
    edited 30 April 2014, 7:19AM

i agree with gomez and think paul you should apologise to the community for what i hope was a slip of the tongue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • StargateStargate Member Posts: 40
    edited 21 September 2012, 8:48AM

err we don't use language like that here thank you Paul!!
    edited 21 September 2012, 8:54AM

But its ok to be rude to people???? get a grip, and no it wasnt a slip of the tongue, if Jeremy wants to troll then the least he should do is come and say it to my face!

my grand daughter wants to know if you are naughty like some of the children in her school that are told off for using bad words ?
    she says please apologise and lets all be friends she forgives you.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    As Martin has already said above there are very few real problems/bugs with the system and those that there are are small and will hopefully be fully addressed soon. The problems list is quite short and there are no real show stoppers there.

There are quite a few feature improvements and requests and no doubt a handful of these will be progressed or fully implemented come the software update in late October.

On the trials forum I gave my assessment of the box in various places. For the wider audience I'll repeat something I wrote there here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In comparison to the features I regularly use on my (old) PVR the YouView box's main advantages are the HD channels and the on-demand content. The main features I really miss are the abiilty to manage the channel list (i.e. order the channels in a way that works best for me and not see channels I have no interest in), the ability to skip forward 30-60 seconds at the press of one button, the ability to go directly into the recordings list with one button press, the ability to search the EPG, and the ability to set manual recordings to acount for poorly scheduled items. I actually work around the lack of skip function and one button press to go to recordings list by programming sequences on my harmony remote so although not ideal I can get by for now without those although such a workaround is not going to work for most people and is not as good as having the real functions.

So at present the YouView box has a few items that niggle compared to my current (or is it now old since I've switched to the YouView box) PVR. If I were considering buying a new PVR at present and knew of the details of what the YouView box does well and what it lacks I would decide to stick with my current Humax 9300T PVR and wait a few months and see if the YouView system develops as I hope it will. If my current PVR failed (and I did not have a free YouView box of course) then I would need to buy a new PVR immediately which I would find awkward. I like the potential of the YouView box but at the price other PVRs deliver more features in general (although do not have the nice on-demand integration but then that is not the most important feature to me at the moment).

Personally I will be continuing to use the YouView box as my primary PVR and look forward to getting more out of it as features are added :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was also lots of discussion about price and value for money. It would seem quite easy to find it selling at just under £270 now. In its current state whilst affordable there are various other products one could choose with differing features sets for this price depending on what is most important to the end user. If the price can come down further, say to £240, and the feature set go up (which it no doubt will by November and further still by February) then choosing YouView could be an easier choice to make without effectively factoring in potential future value that further feature updates will probably add (i.e. the choice can be made purely on its merits at that point in time against other products rather than on what it will hopefully offer in the future).
    edited 21 September 2012, 9:46AM
    Thanks Keith great honest reply :-)
  • edited 21 September 2012, 10:08AM

I assume Jeremy's comment was aimed at me and my optimism for YouView. Lord knows why there's anything sucker-like about being able to read, see and make statements of facts.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 5:26PM
    Keith1 said:

As Martin has already said above there are very few real problems/bugs with the system and those that there are are small and will hopefully be fully addressed soon. The problems list is quite short and there are no real show stoppers there.

There are quite a few feature improvements and requests and no doubt a handful of these will be progressed or fully implemented come the software update in late October.

On the trials forum I gave my assessment of the box in various places. For the wider audience I'll repeat something I wrote there here:

In comparison to the features I regularly use on my (old) PVR the YouView box's main advantages are the HD channels and the on-demand content. The main features I really miss are the abiilty to manage the channel list (i.e. order the channels in a way that works best for me and not see channels I have no interest in), the ability to skip forward 30-60 seconds at the press of one button, the ability to go directly into the recordings list with one button press, the ability to search the EPG, and the ability to set manual recordings to acount for poorly scheduled items. I actually work around the lack of skip function and one button press to go to recordings list by programming sequences on my harmony remote so although not ideal I can get by for now without those although such a workaround is not going to work for most people and is not as good as having the real functions.

So at present the YouView box has a few items that niggle compared to my current (or is it now old since I've switched to the YouView box) PVR. If I were considering buying a new PVR at present and knew of the details of what the YouView box does well and what it lacks I would decide to stick with my current Humax 9300T PVR and wait a few months and see if the YouView system develops as I hope it will. If my current PVR failed (and I did not have a free YouView box of course) then I would need to buy a new PVR immediately which I would find awkward. I like the potential of the YouView box but at the price other PVRs deliver more features in general (although do not have the nice on-demand integration but then that is not the most important feature to me at the moment).

Personally I will be continuing to use the YouView box as my primary PVR and look forward to getting more out of it as features are added :)

There was also lots of discussion about price and value for money. It would seem quite easy to find it selling at just under £270 now. In its current state whilst affordable there are various other products one could choose with differing features sets for this price depending on what is most important to the end user. If the price can come down further, say to £240, and the feature set go up (which it no doubt will by November and further still by February) then choosing YouView could be an easier choice to make without effectively factoring in potential future value that further feature updates will probably add (i.e. the choice can be made purely on its merits at that point in time against other products rather than on what it will hopefully offer in the future).

Exactly, the feature set and an ever narrowing price difference between YouView and Freeview HD will make YouVIew the 'no brainer' option when the boxes for each platform are seen side by side in John Lewis or Currys.

This comment was removed on 2012-09-21. well done and thanks youview
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2012, 12:31PM
    Hi Paul, For me I find the inclusion of the well integrated catchup services very user friendly, and really changes the way I use those services. I basically use them a lot more since having Youview. Its very convenient to be able to press "search" and immediately have access to all providers programs on demand. The typing is very easy too(if you've ever typed on a mobile phone, its same thing). For this convenience alone, I would recommend one of these Youview boxes. The PVR function is great too for basic recording, and is set to get more features shortly to make it better still. So aside from the price, I would whole heartedly recommend a Youview box. Particularly as its an entirely new generation platform that is going to get continued support and development.

Also pay per view films on NowTV are great resource. And I expect there will be new content providers coming soon. I'm hoping for Lovefilm & Netflix, though theres no info on that yet. But if this platform becomes popular, as I think it inevitably will, then I expect these companies to be jumping on board, if there not already planning to do so.

One thing i do find missing is DLNA. Many other PVR's and Blu-ray players have DLNA, which enables media sharing between pcs, smart phones, tablets etc. There is no current DLNA on Youview which is a real shame, but i hope that this feature will come in the future.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 21 September 2012, 6:47PM

I have had a youview box since the beginning of the trail, I can say that compared to other pvr I have had in the past it best one I have had, it dose every thing I wish it to do. If I did not get one though the trail I think I would have paid £250
    edited 21 September 2012, 4:54PM

David, keep your thoughts to yourself or comment on the thread not whats been and gone!
    edited 21 September 2012, 4:54PM
    Thanks Joe
    If you're still concerned. to reduce the risk you can get a "two year on site warranty" if you buy from Humax direct.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 21 September 2012, 6:49PM

Point taken, no further comment on this thread
    edited 21 September 2012, 6:26PM

Dont be a bore David!
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:30AM
    Traces, my only issue really would be if the "partners" pulled out! is it attractive if bbc iplayer pull out
  • edited 21 September 2012, 6:28PM

Seriously guys, we've all seen forums ruined by these sort of endless circular spats. I think you both want the same thing, a friendly forum where no-one ruins it for others or brings rudeness and foul language into the discussion?

Surely there's enough pillocks on the web without anyone here doing an impression of one?

x
    edited 21 September 2012, 6:29PM

Well said Martin :-)
  • edited 21 September 2012, 6:32PM
    Paul1 said:

Traces, my only issue really would be if the "partners" pulled out! is it attractive if bbc iplayer pull out

Why would they do that?
    The BBC and all the other partners have far too much invested in this venture to pull out.