Aerial Question

Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM in Archived Posts
I have am aerial which is not a specific freeview aerial however it is currently able to get all the freeview channels via my freeview TV. The quality is good and have no issues.

As I can currently get good freeview reception with this aerial will this be the same for the YouView box?

Comments

• edited 26 September 2013, 8:34AM
    Hi Jim

Yes. The signals for YouView and Freeview are the same, no special YouView aerial is needed.
  • Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
    edited 16 October 2012, 10:50AM
    Thanks for the reply
  • JustJust Member Posts: 15
    edited 16 October 2012, 12:54PM
    A lot of people get confused with 'Freeview' or 'Digital' or even 'HD' aerials. It's something pedaled by unscrupulous aerial installers as well.

An aerial is an aerial is an aerial, regardless of signal type or service. If your aerial is correctly specified for your transmitter (gain, height, horizontal, vertical orientation etc) and frequencies, well aligned and well cabled, you'll get great reception.
  • edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    The same of course being true of HDMI cables. No £50 gold ones needed, they all either work or don't. The Amazon £1 ones are fine.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    Martin1 said:

The same of course being true of HDMI cables. No £50 gold ones needed, they all either work or don't. The Amazon £1 ones are fine.

It's not quite black and white. A properly made cheap HDMI lead will perform as well as an expensive one but a poorly made one can have other issues other than just "not working".
  • Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
    edited 16 October 2012, 12:48PM
    Just said:

A lot of people get confused with 'Freeview' or 'Digital' or even 'HD' aerials. It's something pedaled by unscrupulous aerial installers as well.

An aerial is an aerial is an aerial, regardless of signal type or service. If your aerial is correctly specified for your transmitter (gain, height, horizontal, vertical orientation etc) and frequencies, well aligned and well cabled, you'll get great reception.

That was what was confusing. I have a 20 year old aerial which is working with no problems via the freeview receiver in my TV.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 6:46PM
    Martin1 said:

Yes, but an expensive one can be poorly made too.

Perhaps we agree if if put it this way: 'regardless of cost, any well made HDMI cable works just as we'll as any other."
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    Martin1 said:

I was going to write that, but forgot ;)
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 16 October 2012, 3:39PM
    To be fair I think that there can be a problem with some of the cheap HDMI leads in that they are not sufficiently well shielded and can induce interference in other leads they may be running close to round the back of the TV. I have a current problem with my DigitalStream Freeview PVR which is prone to picking up interference on its aerial feed which I parially solved by rerouting the co-ax cable but which I think I may need to replace that co-ax cable with a better quality, modern construction. I have already replaced all of the cheap thin HDMI leads and replaced them with inexpensive but better shielded leads.