On demand yvm104 error. Help!

Stevo6Stevo6 Posts: 5Member
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
I have a problem with on demand. When selecting on demand nothing happens for 30 seconds, then I get a yvm104 error. If I turn the box off and reboot the issue goes away - for a few days and then comes back.

I know that yvm104 is a generic bandwidth issue error message but I don't believe bandwidth is the fundamental problem otherwise rebooting wouldn't solve it.

Any thoughts on what's causing this and how I can solve it please.

thanks

Comments

• Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi Steve. We’re sorry to hear you’re experiencing some issues. Have you seen this entry in our FAQ http://www.youview.com/support/kb/res...? It may help to solve your problem. Let us know how you get on.
  • Stevo6Stevo6 Posts: 5Member
    edited 1 November 2012, 10:57PM
    Yes tried all that. And it's not helping.

I've just seen the other thread on the same topic and my experience is the same as a few on there.

Is there a solution to this? Do I need a new box??
  • mike fiddlermike fiddler Posts: 75Member
    edited 24 September 2015, 8:24AM
    I cant help but I have the same problem...reboot at the OK button and the problem goes away, but comes back again the next day.
  • stuart621stuart621 Posts: 616Member
    edited 1 November 2012, 11:06PM
    I've had my box for a few days and I have had this a few times. I find that going into Settings and selecting Automatic (which is already selected) seems to get the box to see the network again and it's fine. It's a bit quicker than having to reset the box but not an ideal solution.
  • robert.inksonrobert.inkson Posts: 75Member
    edited 19 July 2013, 1:29PM
    same problem here have to reset every two or three days.does your head in.
  • TechnogranTechnogran Posts: 152Member
    Some users have found (quite by chance I must add!) that the Humax YouView unit seems strangely temperamental about the type of Ethernet cable being used! I solved all my personal YMV104 problems by simply trying out another Ethernet cable to connect the YouView unit to my router.

Its worth a try for nothing.
  • RottyRotty Posts: 107Member
    edited 17 January 2017, 7:15PM
    If you can, try to set up a STATIC address for your YV box and configure it using the manual settings. It may be that the DHCP re-lease, where your router refreshes and re-offers an IP address to the box may be causing it to drop off the network. You need to feel comfortable configuring your router though (if required - some are), or at least checking the address reservations/allocations table to determine what address ranges you can use.

Since I set my box up as above, with a fixed/static address and manual config, I haven't had a YVM104 error or the box dropping off the network.

Just a thought.
  • mike fiddlermike fiddler Posts: 75Member
    edited 24 September 2015, 8:24AM
    Some interesting thoughts...quick question tho...if the 'On Demand' menu item gives you the 104 error, but I can still access items in the BTVision menu (so I can watch trailers for movies or watch TV shows, for example) that would imply that my internet connection is OK, so changing cables or implementing a static address would make no difference?

cheers
    Perhaps it's how the box maintains a connection to the server. An 'off box' disconnection event perhaps causes an untidy disconnection to the YV server, and the box still 'believes' it has a connection when it doesn't, and therefore doesn't attempt to reconnect? Perhaps the BT service works differently and doesn't maintain a connection?

I'm guessing here as I don't know how it works, because since setting up a static address, I have not had an issue - except when I switched off my Powerline kit, and the YV box required a reboot to reconnect.
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta ✭✭✭ Posts: 784Member ✭✭✭
    edited 17 February 2017, 1:01PM
    My Humax retail box gives YVM104 regularly and completey repeatable. If I have watched an on demand program (it doesn't matter which player) and I then BACK out to leave the player and display whatever genre I was in I get YVM104.

The way I clear this is to BACK out to the main YV menu. Shuffle left to the guide and then back to on demand and everything is fine again!

This looks like the YV software looses network resolution hence the error. The box is clearly still connected.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
    edited 2 November 2012, 1:01PM

Some users have found (quite by chance I must add!) that the Humax YouView unit seems strangely temperamental about the type of Ethernet cable being used! I solved all my personal YMV104 problems by simply trying out another Ethernet cable to connect the YouView unit to my router.

i must admit i used the original ethernet cable i had to bt vision box{never had a problem with connection to that.]is the youview humax supplied cable any good,should i try that.??.
    edited 13 November 2013, 10:01AM
    am i wasting my time and energy changing the ethernet cable,i used the cable i had to bt vision box,never had a problem with that box losing connection,is the supplied humax cable any good,??
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 4 November 2012, 11:37AM
    Anaglypta said:

My Humax retail box gives YVM104 regularly and completey repeatable. If I have watched an on demand program (it doesn't matter which player) and I then BACK out to leave the player and display whatever genre I was in I get YVM104.

The way I clear this is to BACK out to the main YV menu. Shuffle left to the guide and then back to on demand and everything is fine again!

This looks like the YV software looses network resolution hence the error. The box is clearly still connected.

As Rotty has suggested above, have you set the IP address on your router to be reserved for the YouView box, so that even if set to Automatic, the Router will allocate the same IP address to the YouView box every time?

Obviously only set this if you are comfortable with doing so, and know what to do if you need to re-set the settings on the router!

i have done this on all my PC equipment (wireless printer, laptop, etc) as well as my YouView and Humax HDR-FOX T2 boxes and they all work Perfectly.

The only time I get an issue of buffering is if I have switched off the router earlier in the day as I did yesterday, and as such a programme I watched that evening buffered and failed, as my router wasn't up to speed!
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Posts: 279Member
    edited 2 November 2012, 1:22PM

am i wasting my time and energy changing the ethernet cable,i used the cable i had to bt vision box,never had a problem with that box losing connection,is the supplied humax cable any good,??

No Robert not wasting your time at all, I always do this first when I come across this sort of issue, as you have then ruled out all other possibilities for the issue!

I did this on a friends Blue Ray player that would not connect to his TV when using HDMI, as all other equipment worked OK, it was only when i ruled out the HDMI leads he had (by swapping them over with his other working equipment) that I worked out that his Blue ray player had to be set to 1080p, not automatic as I used the old RCA red, yellow and white connections and the player appeared on the TV and as such was able to set The player to 1080p instead of Auto so it worked with HDMI!

Quite how I would have one this without the RCA cable I don't know as there is no SCART socket on the Blue ray player!
    changed ethernet,one hour later,no connection again !!.this really needs a fix,its a real bind,have not used player or on demand today,this is happening to a few people now,[see bt youview forum].only thing ive used is information button.only thing that gets connection back is a soft reset.
    edited 2 November 2012, 10:11PM
    So tonight I did a soft reset, and could then see the on demand players. But when I tried to select a programme from yesterday's epg (channel 5) I get a yvm105 error. Grrr!

And after that when I try to access on demand I get yvm 104 error again!

Come on youview this is clearly a problem for many people. Does anyone look at these forums? This desperately needs a fix!!
    well this morning no demand,information button or players working again.its now daily??,checked ip address and its the same as yesterday.what is going on??.hidden within this forum it says some trialists was having this problem.still no fix.
  • Andrew MarlowAndrew Marlow Posts: 65Member
    edited 3 November 2012, 4:24PM
    I have been getting YVM104 since I started the trial back in May. Way back then I was told that hardly anyone was getting this error. Seems a different story now, eh? I was told to try all sorts of things and each one sounded like a shot in the dark. None made any difference; different cables, different router, fixed IP address, rebooting the router, etc etc. In the meantime NetFlix works without a problem. Seems like a YouView issue to me...
    So I had a reply from youview yesterday, copied below. I've done what's suggested but don't know yet whether it works in the long term.

Please go to Settings > Network & Internet > Network Connection Status. If the status is saying CONNECTED, please try the following steps:

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wired Connection. If the box is saying AUTOMATIC, switch it to MANUAL. Click Next. You will see three rows of numbers. Leave them as they are and click Next. You will see two rows of boxes, Primary and Secondary DNS. Leave the second row blank. Put a single '8' into the Primary DNS boxes so that it reads 8.8.8.8. Click Next and when it finishes finding your router, click Finish.

Turn off your router, and reset your box. Turn the box and then the router back on again. When it resumes, you should be able to access On Demand content.
    edited 3 November 2012, 10:53PM
    Stevo6 said:

So I had a reply from youview yesterday, copied below. I've done what's suggested but don't know yet whether it works in the long term.

Please go to Settings > Network & Internet > Network Connection Status. If the status is saying CONNECTED, please try the following steps:

Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wired Connection. If the box is saying AUTOMATIC, switch it to MANUAL. Click Next. You will see three rows of numbers. Leave them as they are and click Next. You will see two rows of boxes, Primary and Secondary DNS. Leave the second row blank. Put a single '8' into the Primary DNS boxes so that it reads 8.8.8.8. Click Next and when it finishes finding your router, click Finish.

Turn off your router, and reset your box. Turn the box and then the router back on again. When it resumes, you should be able to access On Demand content.

All that is doing is overriding your default (ISP provided) DNS and substituting the Google DNS ... It's not a bad move actually as the Google DNS is fast and reliable. However I'd recommend putting 8.8.4.4 in the second DNS entry as that is the backup DNS server for Google.

I tend to always use the Google DNS, my router has this setting as do my clients. When I'm at a customer site using their network(s) I always tend to use the Google DNS, again as it is consistently more reliable.

I presume YV have suggested this as actually, local ISP DNS's can be a bit of an unknown and CAN fail to propagate address lookups properly - perhaps YV needs to put this as a general recommendation. however it may not fix your particular issue as there are so many variables that can affect the networking element of the service.
  • TechnogranTechnogran Posts: 152Member
    edited 4 November 2012, 7:41AM

Try another one, I has some spare, so just used another.
    can you keep us informed steveo6.dont want to do this unless it works,not computer savvy.
    edited 4 November 2012, 2:29PM
    I tried this lat night but got the same error trying On Demand this morning so I have put it back to Automatic.
  • Jesse1Jesse1 Posts: 275Member
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:30AM
    Hi everyone. If you have tried the YMV resolution http://www.youview.com/support/kb/res... and are still having issues, then please get in touch with us by following this link http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use... where you can find the Viewer Support contact information.
    edited 15 November 2012, 10:19PM
    So I tried the fix above, and it seemed to work for a week or so. But today I checked and the error is back again. Grrr.... Come on youview, what's being done to address this?
  • Mr A MarlowMr A Marlow Posts: 11Member
    edited 9 December 2012, 11:49AM
    I am still getting YVM104. My box got a software update on 4th Dec but still the problem persists. Needless to say we do not have any bandwidth problems when using NetFlix. The only reason I don't see YVM104 more often is that we have practically given up on the On Demand feature of YouView. It is just not reliable enough to use. I just noticed that there was a software upgrade so I though I would try On Demand to see if the sw change might fix the problem. No such luck.
    edited 9 December 2012, 11:57AM
    Have you changed the settings to manual and entered the values mentioned in another thread here (sorry, can't find it for the moment)? That worked for me. I'd have to say, I'm using the on demand services a lot more than I thought I would and I was glad to get this problem sorted.
  • Darren FarrDarren Farr Posts: 1Member
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Hi, quite new to this forum, but am really unhappy as not been able to get on demand either since the last upgrade. I got the box to save plugging in laptop etc, and now feel I've wasted my money. Prob logged mid nov with no help or call backs as promised. Does anyone know what the legal situation is or should we hold on for a fix . If you view support read this my tkt no. Is 8208
  • RoyRoy ✭✭✭ Posts: 15,208Member ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM

Hi, quite new to this forum, but am really unhappy as not been able to get on demand either since the last upgrade. I got the box to save plugging in laptop etc, and now feel I've wasted my money. Prob logged mid nov with no help or call backs as promised. Does anyone know what the legal situation is or should we hold on for a fix . If you view support read this my tkt no. Is 8208

Look up Maintenance Mode on the YV site, and try to get into it. If you get a boot failure, then the update bricked your box, and you will need a replacement.

Happened to me after the October update, but the replacement box has been fine so far
    This is not the YouView that I knew  :'(