Lovefilm and Netflix?

Comments

• Mike RobertsonMike Robertson Member Posts: 8
    edited 24 November 2012, 8:52PM
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    I'll leave you guys to blow smoke up each others arses about Youview.No doubt you'll all become the youview defence league on this site.
    Good Luck.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike - This is a forum. With lots of different opinions. So just show some latitude, if people disagree with you, whilst you box collects dust.You are are entitled to your opinion, as are others, too.

Membership number 002
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    I'll leave you guys to blow smoke up each others arses about Youview.No doubt you'll all become the youview defence league on this site.
    Good Luck.

Mike - This is a forum. With lots of different opinions. So just show some latitude, if people disagree with you, whilst you box collects dust.You are are entitled to your opinion, as are others, too.

I take great offense at that!!! ......... I should be 001.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:04PM
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

Damn, can't even claim YDL Membership number 001, yet, as I don't even have the service. But I will do when it's full IPTV functionality is enabled (BT Sports Pack, if anyone's curious). But I'll be voting for them, lol.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

I am sure an honorary membership could be arranged :)
    edited 24 November 2012, 9:51PM
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member."
    -- Groucho Marx
    edited 24 November 2012, 9:52PM
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

So that's me out.
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

Hmmm, what kind of member? lol
    Visionman said:

Mike Robertson
    Good Luck.

Well, seeming as you quoted Groucho Marx... yep.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    Moderators: Why is this thread marked as "Answered"?

(Unless the answer is "We don't know".)

I agree with those who would like a clear statement about the future of Lovefim Instant.
    I'm sure it would boost the take-up of YouView boxes enormously.
    >> I agree with those who would like a clear statement about the future of Lovefim Instant

What about it? If you're a TalkTalk customer disappointed you can't access your 12 month free subscription on your YV box then your issue is entirely with TalkTalk.

Neither YouView or any content partner will announce their intentions until they're ready.
    Martin1 said:

>> I agree with those who would like a clear statement about the future of Lovefim Instant

What about it? If you're a TalkTalk customer disappointed you can't access your 12 month free subscription on your YV box then your issue is entirely with TalkTalk.

Neither YouView or any content partner will announce their intentions until they're ready.

No, I wasn't deceived by the "Lovefilm gift" incentive.
    But I've had Netflix for quite a while (with the excellent little Roku box) so would like to give Lovefilm a try and I'm getting impatient. :-)
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 25 November 2012, 10:08AM

Just glad I didn't pay for my box as it was part of the trial, it's sat gathering dust now gone back the HDR with custom firmware so we can all watch different things around the house at the same time & streaming comes straight from the TV.If I remember Youview did say Lovefilm & Netfilx etc would be coming when this forum was for beta testers.The have a had a good chance to create a good product but they missed the Olympics(soft launch) & with Christmas only a few weeks away Freesat & Sky will beat them into a corner yet again.It seems to have been built by committee since Project Canvas was initially announced on December 2008 & not moved on at all.

>>If I remember Youview did say Lovefilm & Netfilx etc would be coming when this forum was for beta testers.

Sorry Mike, I don't remember seeing on the trial forum, that YouView ever confirmed that these providers would definitely be coming to the YouView platform, they simply said they were talking to a number of providers and as such they can't disclose due to confidentiality agreements (which is standard practice in these type of negotiations), something everyone should remember, this is the reason YouView are not able to say to everyone on the forum "Hey Guys, we are adding the following providers to the platform.....!" as they are not allowed to, the same as any company who is in negotiation with one another.

What they have said to us, time and time again, though is they are already in discussion with a number of providers and as soon as they are allowed to advise us who they are, they will do.

I have been there (trying to get company A to set up a deal with company B) and I can tell you, they can take ages, involve a lot of money, and paper, from both sides and once lawyers are involved, well you get the picture hopefully!

I am sure that when the providers such as "LoveFilm, Netflix, etc" see the number of YouView boxes that are out there, they will be pleading with their IT departments to make sure the players are developed and discussions with YouView HQ will be ramped up, they don't want to miss out on that market!

I am more than happy to be surprised, as it means I don't have to keep buying another bit of kit to get new features.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    On the remote record via app topic Visionman has recently quoted an article that includes comments by Richard Halton, the YouView CEO. The article itself is not free to access but the potentially relevant part for this topic, quoting from Visionman's post, is
    Around 100 expressions of interest in launching on YouView have been received from content providers, with the second phase expected to go live early next year.

Subscription VoD providers such as Lovefilm and Netflix are expected to be among the partners joining the archive and catch-up services already launched by terrestrial channels and Sky.
    which would once again back up the expectation that Lovefilm and Netflix will be available on the YouView system in due course (and that maybe they will be amongst the ones coming early in the new year).
  • edited 25 November 2012, 10:37AM

Just glad I didn't pay for my box as it was part of the trial, it's sat gathering dust now gone back the HDR with custom firmware so we can all watch different things around the house at the same time & streaming comes straight from the TV.If I remember Youview did say Lovefilm & Netfilx etc would be coming when this forum was for beta testers.The have a had a good chance to create a good product but they missed the Olympics(soft launch) & with Christmas only a few weeks away Freesat & Sky will beat them into a corner yet again.It seems to have been built by committee since Project Canvas was initially announced on December 2008 & not moved on at all.

Scuttlebroom wrote:

I am sure that when the providers such as "LoveFilm, Netflix, etc" see the number of YouView boxes that are out there, they will be pleading with their IT departments to make sure the players are developed and discussions with YouView HQ will be ramped up, they don't want to miss out on that market!

Am sure that's right - I'd be VERY surprised if there's not already close to 100,000 boxes out there. It's very difficult to see BT not having at least matched TalkTalk's 29,000 boxes given they have a bigger customer base to convert from, many of whom have been gagging for HD channels for years.

And then there's the retail boxes which are available from all the major retailers who have also been gagging for something new to sell - there's been very little innovation in the Freeview market for years so YouView represents a major opportunity to get people to buy again.

My prediction is that YouVIew will see 1-1.3m boxes installed by this time next year.
  • sandmansandman Member Posts: 59
    edited 25 November 2012, 12:48PM

Freesat's sales do beat Youview's as they now give it away with broadband deals & a lot are being dumped straight on the Ebay.Take it Martin the platform is to little way to late.Maybe a couple of years ago it would have been the next big thing.But not now.

im sure you havent accounted for the many cancelled sky subscribers that receive what may be freesat from their now defunct sky subscription whom could easily just upgrade their box without sub. talktalk are giving a good deal so im not surprised that people have signed up for those in good coverage areas. ive cancelled bt sub and my isp is now talktalk i could subscribe to sky tv and still get a better deal than btv with youview. and again bt may only be supplying the humax beacause of lack of sales in the shops.
  • edited 25 November 2012, 1:42PM

Freesat's sales do beat Youview's as they now give it away with broadband deals & a lot are being dumped straight on the Ebay.Take it Martin the platform is to little way to late.Maybe a couple of years ago it would have been the next big thing.But not now.

>> im sure you havent accounted for the many cancelled sky subscribers that receive what may be freesat from their now defunct sky subscription

Mike was talking about Freesat SALES, not those watching on non-Freesat equipment.

>> again bt may only be supplying the humax beacause of lack of sales in the shops.

Except that's not why they're supplying them, the boxes Pace are making for BT weren't ready for BT's launch date.
  • sandmansandman Member Posts: 59
    edited 25 November 2012, 2:29PM

thats bt answer, the boxes were ready they just decided on a change of spec. out of interest do you have the sales figures for YV? i cant find them, its not been spoken about much and i cant see the boxes in my local.
    edited 26 February 2017, 1:39PM
    @Keith

Indeed, it would be easier to say it would be a shock if Lovefilm and Netfix WEREN'T on there, when the new on demand apps launch.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Agree with Visionman, not getting onto YouView when it's still new means they effectively cede the platform to Sky's NOW TV which will become the default premium content provider.
  • Mike2Mike2 Member Posts: 144
    edited 12 July 2014, 5:24PM
    I would love it if both LoveFilm and Netflix arrived on Youview, means no need to switch to my xbox to watch them and instead just use my Youview box and I think it will bring more users to the platform, especially when you see Smart TV makes showing Netflix or Lovefilm as being available, when infact they are not
  • Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 November 2016, 5:48PM
    I agree. I've currently got BT Vision which is good but the selection of films is very poor. I'd love to ditch the BT box and switch to YouView but I need Netflix or LoveFilm before I do. Come on YouView!!
  • chrisduckleschrisduckles Member Posts: 1
    Get an AppleTV box is dose all the above including NETFLIX and is only £99 or less.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2012, 3:36PM

Get an AppleTV box is dose all the above including NETFLIX and is only £99 or less.

AppleTV is just another crippled access offering.
    Matt2 said:

I agree. I've currently got BT Vision which is good but the selection of films is very poor. I'd love to ditch the BT box and switch to YouView but I need Netflix or LoveFilm before I do. Come on YouView!!

I've ditched BT Vision cos of the rubbish selection of films - they've been promising to sort since August and they still haven't - can't wait for Netflix to appear on YouView platform
  • Bilbo BagginsBilbo Baggins Member Posts: 177
    edited 4 January 2013, 9:13PM
    if u have a PS3/XBox you can use medialink or similar apps to play most formats from your mac/pc to your big screen
    or just use your XBox/PS3 to stream any online filum provider such as LoveFilm, the time it takes to switch on your console, switch AV channel and press play will be faster than waiting for this implementation happening anytime soon.

like any request, add it to the request list!

not only that, Apple products are over-hyped and over-priced in my opinion - also the media playback is limited
  • Anthony Johnson2Anthony Johnson2 Member Posts: 3
    edited 15 December 2012, 10:44AM
    JUST A QUICK WARNING,
    THE FREE 12 MONTHS WITH LOVEFILM(INSTANT) WONT WORK ON YOURE YOUVIEWDEVICE
    I JUMPED IN SIGNED UP , GOT THE AUTHORIZATION CODE,
    THEN REALISED IT WAS LOVE FILM BOX OFFICE ON YOUVIEW.
    SO I CANCELLED AS I DONT WATCH MOVIES ON PORTABLE DEVICES ONLY.
    I PREFER MY BIGG SCREEN.
  • Mr A MarlowMr A Marlow Member Posts: 11
    edited 9 December 2012, 11:21PM
    Are you sure you want NetFlix on YouView? It depends what you want out of NetFlix. I subscribe to NetFlix and use it via a PS3. I find the series are great and I anticipate that I will continue to be with NetFlix for many months to come. However, IMHO the film selection is poor. The films are mainly either old or B-grade or both. The handful that aren't I already have on DVD. Once I have worked through the series I am watching I will cancel my NetFlix subscription. For up to date films I think it has to be either Sky or Virgin (depending on where you live since few towns/cities offer the choice). Sky subscriptions now include YouView via NowTV.
  • Margaret OttonMargaret Otton Member Posts: 20
    edited 9 March 2015, 6:43AM
    You can now get Love film on Wii . I just added it on my Wii , which I also have Netflix on it .

Seeing that SKY NOW TV on U view Bok offer up to 20 new premieres added every single month.

I am thinking of going with them now on the free trail
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 8 January 2015, 3:53PM
    its simple nowtv got exclusivity for a however long and nowt will be added till this over.

this ends the ifs whys and buts couse like everyone here knows netfix gets and will be on every market asap