BT drops Pace from internet TV project

DM2DM2 Member Posts: 475 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts

"BT Group has ended a deal with Pace to supply it with set-top boxes for its YouView internet television service in a blow for the Yorkshire-based technology company."
From ft.com: http://on.ft.com/Xzw5iG

Further sources via google: here

Comments

• MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    for them that get nagged on the poo poo FT website stuff, just go via the google link its bypasses it all
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Madcotto said:

for them that get nagged on the poo poo FT website stuff, just go via the google link its bypasses it all

You must be registered somewhere. For me, all the references on that page just link back to the FT article :-(
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I'm actually quite pleased by this news.

Whilst I have found the Pace BT Vision box to be excellent (and Vision 2.0, too) Humax is a brand that means quality and a good reputation.

And the side-effect of the above news also means that Humax BT YouView boxes will also roughly keep in line with the retail box updates. And with the amount of functionality updates that are to come between now and 2013, the fewer boxes the better, where rolling out such new updates are concerned.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    To save others from going through the FT registration process here is the interesting bit:

In September BT revealed it had ceased buying YouView set-top boxes from Pace. But the telecoms operator said at the time that it still planned to launch a service with the UK technology company with what was expected to be smaller and faster technology.

BT has now revealed that it is no longer working with Pace for its YouView service...The telecoms group said that Pace...would still continue to act as a supplier for BT Vision...But a spokesman said: “BT has agreed with Pace that the company will no longer develop BT’s YouView set top box.”
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 17 November 2013, 7:05PM
    It's a shame really. Would have been nice for BT to support another British business with this.
  • Mr A MarlowMr A Marlow Member Posts: 11
    edited 10 December 2012, 12:02AM
    Any idea why Pace was dropped?
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    Because the box did not suit the purpose. Nor could Pace get it ready in time for BT's timetable (which is YouViews timetable too, btw). And so they agreed to part company. There are many new services and features to come in 2013, of which the Humax box can handle, but the Pace couldn't (such as the forth-coming Multicast channels). So they just dropped out.

As BT Vision's numbers are so small, this is no major hit to Pace, but IMHO it's a major plus for BT YouView users to continue to be supplied with a Humax YV box.
    edited 10 December 2012, 12:24AM
    Visionman said:

Because the box did not suit the purpose. Nor could Pace get it ready in time for BT's timetable (which is YouViews timetable too, btw). And so they agreed to part company. There are many new services and features to come in 2013, of which the Humax box can handle, but the Pace couldn't (such as the forth-coming Multicast channels). So they just dropped out.

As BT Vision's numbers are so small, this is no major hit to Pace, but IMHO it's a major plus for BT YouView users to continue to be supplied with a Humax YV box.

Agreed it is probably premium hardware compared to the Pace box which would probably have been built to a much lower price point, similar to the Huwaei from TT.
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    Visionman said:

Hi Gerraint. And yes, I've been wondering about this, why haven't TT published their box specs? Which isn't a question I expect you to answer, lol.
    edited 10 December 2012, 8:59AM
    Visionman said:

They are published VisionMan :-) here