Date went to Jan 2000

Stephen2Stephen2 Member Posts: 5
edited 19 March 2017, 10:46PM in Archived Posts
A few days ago my Humax box froze and after a power cycle came back with the date set to Jan 2000. EPG had no data in it but recordings still worked. A power button based reset seems to have cured the issue but overall stability of the box is much worse after the recent software update.

It seems this product has got much of the extended functionality spot on, but has overlooked the basic functionality like being able to record things on time. A bit disappointing.

Comments

• MaxMax Member Posts: 75
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:33AM
    Hi Stephen, thanks for your feedback and we are sorry to hear this.
    We are continuously improving the features and functionality of the YouView service. We want to let you know that we’re currently investigating the issue around dates being incorrectly displayed and will update the forum as soon as we have more information.
  • Mr A MarlowMr A Marlow Member Posts: 11
    edited 10 December 2012, 12:06AM
    My guess is that there is no battery backed clock. This is just a theory but I reckon it does explain the symptoms. Computers have a battery backed clock which is initialised during setup then periodically resynced via the NTP service (except WIndoze of course which has not heard of NTP). I have a feeling that the YouView relies on getting the time from NTP and shows Jan 2000 when NTP fails.
  • Bilbo BagginsBilbo Baggins Member Posts: 177
    edited 10 December 2012, 7:14AM
    Might also be due to the lack of a decent aerial / network connection;

Network Time Protocol sets the Humax clock from an Internet time server on each boot. Useful if you do not have an aerial connection.

I can't post the linking page as it may break my EULAs
  • Stephen2Stephen2 Member Posts: 5
    edited 10 December 2012, 10:50AM
    Thanks both - but neither of these really explain what happened. The clock on the device was correct, just the EPG was at Jan 2000. The network and ariel connections are about as good as it's possible to get (v.good signal strength and >7.5MBit broadband over a cabled 100Mbps internal network), certainly if either of these were the cause then about 80% of all users would be reporting failures.

The main reason for flagging this is that in my view, the EPG feature should do a simple check to ensure that it's local time isn't radically different from the NTP or DT time each time the guide button is pressed - given it takes the guide about 5 seconds to come up, the additional 2 - 3 ms that such a test might take would be negligible and would prevent this edge condition from causing the box to fail.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Hi Stephen, we've raised this problem with Humax, but we will also be adding some additional time tests to our test suite to try to reproduce.

Some background: There is only 1 important clock that the box uses - the system clock, and this used for all YouView functions. When the box boots up (after power on or from standby in eco mode high) the clock is set initially from DTT broadcast time, and it only uses the IP network (NTP) if the box can't tune to a DTT channel, or there's another problem setting time from the broadcast stream.

The other clock is the front panel clock which is separate and is set from the system clock when the system clock is known to be correct via DTT, or NTP. Neither of the clocks are backed up by a battery on the Humax box, because YouView boxes are usually plugged in the mains and connected to the network and DTT aerial.

The EPG, DVR, Operating System all use the system clock, so if it says 1st Jan that's what the box thinks the time is. Doing an additional time check when the EPG starts wouldn't help in this case. (It would in theory be possible to set the time from the front panel clock controller, but there's no need for this when the system is working correctly, and we'd much rather that Humax fixed any possible problems with the system clock code rather than implement new code to work around it that wouldn't work in all cases e.g. when the power had failed or box unplugged)

I hope this helps, and we'll let you know when we have any news.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 10 December 2012, 11:32AM
    Surely it is the front panel clock which is used to fire up the box 10/15 minutes ahead of time ready to make a recording?
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Good point - the front panel does have an alarm or timer which count down the time to the next recording to wake up the box, but the implementation varies greatly between different manufacturers. Some boxes don't have the concept of a "front panel clock that knows or shows the real time" and they just use a single countdown timer to the next recording, set from the system time. If the system time isn't correct, this can affect recordings so it's important that we get to the bottom of this problem.
  • Nigel MillsNigel Mills Member Posts: 2
    edited 29 December 2012, 1:49PM
    I have just noted the same problem, i.e. the youview box thinks the time is 1 Jan 2000, so no program details are shown on the Guide. the box is only 1 month old and I am not impressed. What is the way to correct this problem??
  • Nigel MillsNigel Mills Member Posts: 2
    edited 29 December 2012, 1:52PM
    I have just noted the same problem with a 1 month old Youview box ( date is 1 Jan 2000 and no electronic program guide data shown. How is this fixed
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Nigel - provided there is nothing wrong with the aerial connection it will pick up the time from the TV signal if you power cycle the box, i.e. turn it off at the back and then back on again (or in the case of the Humax you could instead touch the blue circle for about 8 seconds). There is a similar topic to this here where roughly this advice is given and worked :)
  • TrishTrish Member Posts: 2
    edited 20 February 2013, 10:56AM
    daft question but how do I set the time. and date. it's saying jan 1

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
    How do i Set date and time.
  • marshallmarshall Member Posts: 2
    edited 20 February 2013, 10:56AM
    when going into "guide" all I get is "no information available". How can I get the chanel list ? ALSO when looking to changeb chanels it asks for a password. I do not recall having one. Please help.

getting chanels.
  • Becky GreenhalghBecky Greenhalgh Member Posts: 4
    edited 20 February 2013, 10:57AM
    Guide is just showing no information available. Any idea to solve this?

Guide not working.
  • john gittosjohn gittos Member Posts: 21
    edited 3 January 2014, 6:01AM
    I switched onto my TV guide on my YouView this morning only to find no information was unavailable looking into this further I noticed the date in the top right hand corner said Saturday January 1st and the wrong time , Now before someone tells me to reset my box with the result being I will lose all my recordings , is anybody else having this problem .

Wrong Date.
  • TanjaTanja Member Posts: 251
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:35AM
    Hello All, I just wanted to let you know that we have fixed this in our new software update. For more information please have a look here
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • Stephen2Stephen2 Member Posts: 5
    edited 20 February 2013, 11:58AM
    Hi John,

If you hold the power button down for about 8 seconds it will reset your box, but you DON'T lose your recordings (or at least I didn't when it happened to me).

Good Luck.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    I just found my EPG showing 'No Information' for every channel, and though it correctly said Friday, it turns out that was Friday 7th January 2000, the date it adopted when I checked for updated On Demand players.

An attempt at a Software Update started OK, but failed at 33%. I repeated it, but got the same result. Frustrating to know the Jan 2000 issue is fixed in the update I couldn't get.

But I did the good old >8 reset, and on restarting, it offered the update, I accepted, and it seemed to go OK. Certainly, it now knows it's 1st March 2013, and the EPG came back OK.

And I can still watch On Demand; though today's Countdown doesn't show up as available in the backwards EPG, on 4, 13 or 104, albeit we just watched it in the 4OD player.

Delete Confirmation is, of course, now set firmly to On
    These tests for COVID-19 get right up my nose.
  • VivienneSVivienneS Member Posts: 15
    edited 19 March 2017, 10:46PM
    This problem was supposedly solved, but tonight I went to switch on my Humax, was told TV signals listing had been updated so I did a channel re-scan, now my date has reverted to first 1 Jan and then I tried switching off and on again - then it went to 31 Dec.  Not impressed as I can't get any guide up, all showing no information, and clearly I won't be able to record until I can sort this TV date timing signal out.  Nothing has changed in my set up and it was working just fine previously!

edited 30 April 2015, 8:11PM
    VivienneS said:

This problem was supposedly solved, but tonight I went to switch on my Humax, was told TV signals listing had been updated so I did a channel re-scan, now my date has reverted to first 1 Jan and then I tried switching off and on again - then it went to 31 Dec.  Not impressed as I can't get any guide up, all showing no information, and clearly I won't be able to record until I can sort this TV date timing signal out.  Nothing has changed in my set up and it was working just fine previously!

Hurrah - 3rd reboot lucky! Now sorted but clearly there is still an underlying problem here that despite what was written about software updates sorting it - is not quite true!  Most disconcerting and frustrating.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 11:55PM
    VivienneS said:

The problem here might be that the YouView box has no internal clock. It gets the time every time it boots up from the broadcast signal, or then tries an internet time server if that doesn't work. If neither can be found, you end up in the Year 2000.
    Did your first retune fail and so it had no source of broadcast time? Is your internet unplugged or playing up?
    edited 30 April 2015, 9:15PM
    VivienneS said:

None of the above, retune went fine. Internet fine.  Now I spoke too soon in terms of sorted...first programme it was due to record at 9pm caused it to freeze...now I cant get it beyond 'nearly ready' on boot up! I think its clearly not happy - all because of a retune!
    edited 30 April 2015, 9:18PM
    VivienneS said:

How long do I leave it ...its now been 5 mins... for a second time...and doesnt seem to want to boot up properly?
    edited 30 April 2015, 9:34PM
    VivienneS said:

Ok rebooted it again a 3rd time and this time it finally came back up.  So 35 minutes of faff, 6 reboots in total (3 due to the clock issue, a 3 because it wouldn't get beyond nearly ready) and 25 minutes lost of a programme I wanted to watch/record - who knows if it will behave from now on - not what I call reliable - and I'm guessing all because of software roll outs.  Usually I have to say I love HUMAX 
    edited 30 April 2015, 9:47PM
    VivienneS said:

20 minutes later - done nothing, watching my programme, and the sound goes off...I go to change channels in case its the broadcast but no - its frozen again ..ffs
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:57PM
    VivienneS said:

Hi Vivienne - Sorry to hear you're experiencing these issues. The clock issue you experienced, was previously fixed and we haven't had any reports of this for a long time, but if customers are still experiencing it, we will look into it. 

With your box, there does seem to be a few issues here, that could suggest a potential hardware issue. Is it possible your box may be overheating? What environment is the box in at the moment, is it in a tight space, does it have anything resting on top of the box, does it feel particularly hot, when you experience these issues? If you could describe your setup that would be great. 

It would also be good to know:
    • Box make/model (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software Versions (System Information > Software Versions)
    edited 1 May 2015, 9:34PM
    VivienneS said:

Thank you Sanj.  My box is warm to touch but I don't think it is overheating - it is in the same position it has been for 3 years (without issue) and has a good 20 inches space above it - nothing resting on it (except dust!), and open space either side.

The box is a HUMAX DRT1000.
    The software was updated 9 April 15, and is as follows:
    Manufacturer: 21.10.0
    Component Software: 2.9.24
    Platform Configuration: 1350
    ISP configuration: 84

The setup is Scart into a Tevion HDD / DVD recorder which then is linked into an old LG plasma and an Sherwood audio receiver and surround sound setup.  Its a fairly old setup but as I say I've never had any problems with it previously.

The situation right now tonight - is I can see TV, the EPG is showing the correct time and is showing data, Demand TV is working, and recording seems to be working however initially I was concerned as I thought I was unable to access my previously recorded programmes.  The programmes were listed, with watch, not watched, number of recordings etc. It told me I had 41% space, but it did not let me watch them. With the first programmes I tried to access, it said programme had ended, and showed 0 mins of recording.  

I then selected another series which I knew were successfully recorded and were watchable previously. This time my selection of one of these caused the box to 'freeze' again, and it would not allow me to play, nor come out of back to the menu...all I could do was switch it off and on again.  

After this reboot I can once again now access the programmes I couldn't earlier! That said I have just twigged that the reason the remote wasn't being responsive to all my selections (but enough to not realise why) was because the batteries needed changing - that has resolved that and it could be the last 'freeze' tonight was simply the remote not functioning, but that doesn't explain: the clock yesterday nor, the freezing during recording yesterday, nor the freezing during my programme watching yesterday (when the sound went), and the inability to access my recorded programmes tonight initially tonight - when it showed as zero and ended.

I'm just not sure what is going on here...too many issues in a short time.  And incidentally despite re-tuning last night, I still got the message on start up that You view has changed its listings - not sure if that means I need to retune again!  Any help will be gratefully received.   
    edited 23 May 2015, 9:22PM
    Sanj, I'm not at home with this box much and I've been abroad for a fortnight hence my silence but now I am I'm at home again and am having problems with my box again; I came back on here really hoping you had replied after the last time.

Tonight I've moved the box out of its old location and put it separately on the top shelf on its own, unplugging and replugging all the cables in the process.

What's that's shown me now I've looked closer at the rear is that it's a DTR T1010 (1TB). It doesn't have any buttons on the front - just lights -and behind a drop down panel on the right a USB port - and as such I can't seem to do a maintenance mode reset and as it stands given I can't get beyond the 'nearly ready' screen I can't do a factory reset either. I'm thinking there must be something wrong software wise as the faults are intermittent but hoped someone might help before I resort to taking it for repair.

When I first switched it on today the box failed to boot up. I did a reset by switching off at the back and on again. When it came back up it asked me to accept a software update which I did and it went on to give me TV and access to my recordings no problems. I happily watched several hours of TV no problems. Part way through a programme with no external changes suddenly the sound went off - so I did another reset. This time when it then went to the TV stage it said the channels needed retuning - I realised it was because the date was 31 Dec 0000 again. Back to reset. Since then I just haven't been able to get it beyond the please wait/nearly ready stage. Anyone any words of wisdom as right now with this not working and given my old setup I have no TV in my main lounge area, just right for a bank hol and when the Monaco F1 GP is on too!
    edited 23 May 2015, 9:57PM
    Ok after trawling through other articles I've realised the front panel despite appearing to not be buttons per se is touch sensitive and now ive gone into the maintenance mode - I've tried an Internet recovery keep recordings - that failed, so I tried a software recovery - it did it and now once again I seem to be stuck on nearly ready, so if after 5 mins of waiting that doesn't work I'll try the factory recovery keep recordings. All in all very unsatisfactory since it's not at all clear what is wrong here....when sometimes it works and sometimes it has a mind of its own!