Recording (Downloading) on-demand/catchup content.

stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
This would be a killer feature to allow on-demand/catchup content to be downloaded to the Youview box as though it was being recorded from the live broadcast DTT EPG.

This would help people with slower connections (and open up Youview to people with less than 3Mbps speeds) and also be a useful feature so you could set programs downloading to watch later. It would also help save peoples precious usage limits to allow on-demand to be watched more than once for one broadband usage of the download (rather than multiple times if you watched it via on-demand as it is).

The recordings could be date stamped and conform with broadcasters viewing rights with them timing out to be deleted when they are removed from the applicable broadcasters catchup page, much like the download function of the PC version of the BBC iPlayer.

I know this might not be easy to implement at a technical level (or even possible) as well as respecting Digital Rights Management as mentioned above but would be a very usefull feature I believe.

Comments

• KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    This was definitely a popular idea with some trialists (and nicely summarised above too : ) )
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Sky Anytime+ downloads the catch-up content to the box, I presume that'll still be the case when it adds ITVPlayer & 4oD content later this year, so I don't see why rights should be too much of a hurdle.

As someone on fast broadband it wouldn't do much for me but I know many people who are on <5mb and would prefer to download overnight rather than stream.
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 28 August 2013, 8:38AM
    It is not just a popular item with triallists, it was one of the stated benefits of YV when it was first suggested some years back.
  • tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    Would also be useful in the event of a failed or partial recording, where the device sets a marker on the episode, for it to be downloaded once it becomes available on catchup.
  • Gary PGary P Member Posts: 14
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:34AM
    Hi stormy, thanks for your feedback. We’ll keep your suggestion in mind as we continue to work on improving the features and functionality of the YouView service.
  • pete mortonpete morton Member Posts: 6
    edited 28 August 2013, 8:38AM
    This approach would also resolve the problem I experience with ITVPlayer hanging repeatedly during on demand playback - presumably because either my network or the Youview server is overloaded. My typical download speed is 8Mbps: BBC iPlayer works well on Youview; & both BBC iPlayer and ITVPlayer work well on my iPad over the same network connection. I guess Youview ITVPlayer doesn't buffer sufficiently.
  • endsbowenendsbowen Member Posts: 38
    edited 14 December 2016, 10:29PM
    iPlayer been very stable, but ive had trouble with channel 4 and itv player on certain programmes. I have 61mb Infinity 2
  • DPDP Member Posts: 1
    edited 11 January 2013, 11:49AM
    Until downloading of 'on demand' content is available I will not be buying YouView. My d/l speeds vary between 500k and 1Mbps; that has been the case for nearly 7 years and there is little likelihood of it improving in the next 7...
  • TaliskaTaliska Member Posts: 64
    edited 22 February 2014, 1:42PM
    Implementing on demand content recording to HDD would improve user experience for us as well.

Having one buffer underrun during a film really upsets the experience.

If Sky kit can do it, it should very definitely be on the YV's list of things to do.

Taliska
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 5 May 2013, 9:18PM
    A question I keep meaning to ask: *Why* do people want to be able to record catch-up content?
  • TaliskaTaliska Member Posts: 64
    edited 22 February 2014, 1:42PM
    Primarily because it's only available for a limited time period - recording it *might* allow you to hold it for longer just like the broadcast content. They go to all the bother of making an EPG that goes backwards and forwards, yet fail to allow anyone to record what has occurred in the past - bizarre.

I'm looking forward to when they will allow you to watch the programme coming up before it has been broadcast. You could make a killing on the horses. :-)

Another important reason is that people that have slow ADSL can't watch catch-up as it can't push the bits quickly enough down the pipe to keep the video flowing nicely. Allowing recording of catch-up would help these somewhat disadvantaged people to take advantage of the YV box. More sales for YV and more happier rural dwellers - those exact people who are more likely to have problems receiving the FreeView channels properly.

Hope that explains.

Taliska
  • iSPYiSPY Member Posts: 166
    edited 2 November 2012, 9:41AM
    gomez said:

A question I keep meaning to ask: *Why* do people want to be able to record catch-up content?

The reason being, if I want to record a series but miss the 1st episode I could complete the series by recording the missed one from Catchup.
  • Binary_SleuthBinary_Sleuth Member Posts: 1
    edited 17 January 2013, 10:21PM
    I also support this feature, but would like to be able to set up the download to occur overnight. My ISP provides unlimited overnight downloading between midnight and 6am - Its great for me and it's great for them because it spreads out the demand for bandwith in to off-peak times. The ability to download programmes onto the hard disk overnight would win support from ISPs and would also assist TalkTalk and BT to spread the demand on their networks too
  • D'@veD'@ve Member Posts: 62
    edited 11 January 2013, 11:51AM
    I hope this feature is added by the time I get Youview next year, as others have mentioned it's done by Sky's new On Demand expansion and I am using it as I write to download episodes 2 & 3 of Merlin (in HD ;) ), which I missed over a month ago.

Youview must catch up here!
  • Martin3Martin3 Member Posts: 10
    edited 3 December 2012, 11:52AM
    I think even just an extended buffer which would allow the programme to be buffered completely and more watchable on a slow (< 3Mbps) connection would be an improvement.
  • The WeathermanThe Weatherman Member Posts: 29
    edited 28 August 2013, 8:29AM
    This has to be a priority area for YouView. As a rural broadband user I struggle to get even 1mbps. With an estimated 27.4% of UK broadband users on less than 2mbps there's a huge potential market for YouView. Being able to record a catchup programme or dare I say it "OnDemand" will negate the problem of buffering when watching a live stream. Other service providers appear to have solved the technical and commercial complexities so why hasn't YouView?
  • twelve stockstwelve stocks Member Posts: 33
    edited 4 October 2013, 3:10PM
    This would be good for me too. I have slightly less than 3mbps and we aren't on the plans for the roll out of BT's fttc, so there will not be any improvement any time soon.

Generally I find it perfectly usable, despite being under the minimum. BBC iplayer does drop out though at peak times. Oddly though, NowTV never drops out.
  • Jim SuterJim Suter Member Posts: 31
    edited 10 December 2012, 4:30PM
    gomez said:

1. Download content during the night to watch when I fancy. 2. People on lower speeds can watch on demand content without buffering.
  • Martin3Martin3 Member Posts: 10
    edited 10 December 2012, 10:15PM

This would be good for me too. I have slightly less than 3mbps and we aren't on the plans for the roll out of BT's fttc, so there will not be any improvement any time soon.

Generally I find it perfectly usable, despite being under the minimum. BBC iplayer does drop out though at peak times. Oddly though, NowTV never drops out.

Yes this is strange behaviour, we find NOW TV will buffer more if we pause at the start and then can watch it buffer free. But iPlayer and others do not do any where near as well (i.e. constant buffering) and are generally shorter programmes!
  • Dave8Dave8 Member Posts: 15
    edited 11 January 2013, 7:40PM
    I have just switched from Sky+ subscription... this needs to be a priority YV!!!
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi Dave

If your referring to recording on demand content, this is something that YouView cannot implement without the approval of the content providers and broadcasters.
    edited 29 December 2012, 11:14PM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Dave

If your referring to recording on demand content, this is something that YouView cannot implement without the approval of the content providers and broadcasters.

Its not so much recording on demand content, its more about temporary buffering as a workaround to counter glitchy network performance or temporary overload - as such, it probably still needs the approval of content providers and broadcasters but this is surely less potentially controversial. If YouView fails to tackle thorny issues like this, its doomed to be left in the sidelines by Sky etc ... as Channel4 will be if it fails to address and match the Apple mirroring offered by BBC, ITV et al.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 8:22PM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Dave

People won't go and pay Sky a £300 per year subscription over techy issues few will even notice or understand. It's simply not the sort of thing the mainstream make purchase decisions based on.

As for Apple TV, it's a tiny, niche service and is set to remain so. Support, or lac thereof, for AirPlay will have precisely no measurable impact on C4.
    edited 30 December 2012, 12:04AM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Dave

possibly ... but a) Sky isn't the only option - existing PVRs etc provide recording options as does iPlayer, & b) Apple may be niche, but iPads aren't ... and an iPad+mirroring works over a slow / bursty link while my YouView box won't [and the costs are similar]; c) the impact isn't particularly technical - I can either watch a program on YouView over a slow link or I can't.
    Martin1 said:

Hi Dave

Apple TV is so niche that Apple doesn't even say how many it sells.

YouView costs a lot less than an Apple TV & IPad combo, £240 retail for YV versus £99 for the Apple TV and at least £269 for an iPad mini.

And YV make it very clear a min 3mbps speed is necessary, that's no different from needing an HD TV to view HD content, everything has a minimum spec.
    edited 30 December 2012, 12:20AM
    Martin1 said:

Hi Dave

For the many who already have an iPad, Apple TV costs £99 as you say. YouView doesn't work particularly well in my experience at peak times over a notionally 3Mbps service; in contrast, Apple TV appears to perform very well. Buying an HD TV or not is personal choice, buying a faster network connection for many is not.
  • DuvetManDuvetMan Member Posts: 75
    edited 2 August 2014, 4:52PM
    other broadcasters (sky) can do this and they probably implemented it because of all the reasons mentioned above, Come on YV if you want to be the best then dont wait until everyone asks for it only then to 'consider it' just do it!!!!
    DuvetMan said:

other broadcasters (sky) can do this and they probably implemented it because of all the reasons mentioned above, Come on YV if you want to be the best then dont wait until everyone asks for it only then to 'consider it' just do it!!!!

Sky actually implemented it to work around the technical limitations of their boxes which use ancient specs.
    edited 11 January 2013, 11:40AM
    DuvetMan said:

that's interesting Martin, but not relevant - downloading content is a feature which it appears many people would find valuable: if Sky supports this feature [for whatever technical workaround], that's a competitive advantage over YouView!
  • ChiefyChiefy Member Posts: 2
    edited 5 October 2013, 12:38PM
    Fully agree, PLEASE can we have the facility to record downloaded Tv programs.