Extending search functionality to cover the guide too

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

The features you refer to seem to be enhancements, nice though they sound. I can wait for those, I didn't factor them into my decision to choose the BT YouView solution. I expected a normal PVR with internet extras. Not internet extras with an abnormal PVR

I hope resources aren't being concentrated on these enhancements,rather than getting a basic feature enabled. One which I think we all agree was very odd not have been included in the first place. I assume it is now a priority.

My cynicism is more about experience of how fast big corps get things done than anything personal. I hope I am proven wrong. Its only been a month so far after all. No doubt searchable EPG will be with us any day now

Nick said: "I can wait for those...". Well, Nick, unless you do decide to replace your box with a bog-standard non-YouView one, you will have to wait until an update is released for everything, like the rest of us - and "any day now" is probably over-optimistic.
  • Nick HarmanNick Harman Member Posts: 29
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I mean I can wait quietly and patiently for enhancements. Bit more stroppy about basics though.

Ah well, radio times and a felt pen it is for Xmas viewing, and a calloused thumb on the YV remote control from all the scrolling

I mean I can wait quietly and patiently for enhancements. Bit more stroppy about basics though.

Ah well, radio times and a felt pen it is for Xmas viewing, and a calloused thumb on the YV remote control from all the scrolling

LOL - I don't think 'stroppy' affects the YouView development schedule. They seem to be getting excellent feedback and shifting a lot of boxes, and despite agreeing with you that the sooner the EPG search arrives, the better, I am enjoying the superb functionality of the box - as are many others, obviously. I think, as well as providing search functionality, (plus whatever other enhancements they can include in the next release) they aim to try and ensure that any new releases are stable, particularly given the wide range of different providers delivering them. After all, the YouView box does cover much more functionality than other boxes - and does it well, in my opinion.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Nick said:

"The features you refer to seem to be enhancements, nice though they sound"

What may be a mere enhancement for you is an essential basic feature for others, especially those wanting to hide the trollop channels from their kids.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 17 November 2012, 8:17PM
    Martin1 said:

Nick Harman wrote

>> it's a basic function that someone must have simply forgotten to include.

Of course it wasn't just forgotten.

YouView took the decision not to include the feature at launch for whatever internal reason they had and have since clearly stated it's being worked on and will be added in a future update.

>> I just got the Youview box and now wish I'd got a bog standard PVR instead.

To which the only honest response is - take it back to the shop and swap it for the bog standard PVR. If EPG search is the killer feature you crave and expected and not the catch-up and on demand content, why prolong the agony by waiting for EPG search to be added?

EPG search has been a basic feature of evry other PVR I have experience of going back to the old Humax 8000T.
  • Bob CaseBob Case Member Posts: 30
    edited 17 November 2012, 9:53PM

Hi Chris

I came here because the whole family agreed that we must have been missing something obvious and a forum would put us right!

To discover that there really was no way to search the EPG was an absolute gobsmacker.

It's not really a 'feature' is it, it's a basic function that someone must have simply forgotten to include.

That is exactly my experience Nick. Like you, I came to this forum to find out what I'd been doing wrong in not being able to search the EPG. I couldn't believe it when I realised I hadn't done anything wrong - there was actually a pvr released in 2012 that cannot search the epg.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    I was not surprised yesterday to follow the recent activity on this topic, as people have generally said it is quite a surprise to discover there is no EPG search on YouView yet.

When I first got my box I used it for a week and noted down various problems, surprises and things that could do with improving or adding. Although I do not use an EPG search that much, when I do want it not having it is frustrating. After that first week, via the YouView feedback form, I then sent YouView a sequence of feedback emails (since the form has a word/character limit) of which this was at the top of my list. A few weeks later the trials forum opened and unsurprisingly someone created a topic about this that became very popular (and on which others also noted they had already sent similar feedback like me via the feedback form). The YouView feedback at that time acknowledged how important people saw this missing feature and stated they would prioritise future development to take this in to account (which of course does not actually mean this was made a top priority). For the public forum this was the first seed topic I created based on how important people had seen it during the trials. When the public forum opened this was the run away most popular idea topic. When the forum had been running a little while YouView then marked some topics as under consideration or planned etc. This was one of the first topics marked as planned which then drops it from the list on the main community page (presumably as one considers it then to be in hand so less important to highlight even though very popular). Since then the topic has remained popular but was surpassed in votes by the channel list management (which is only under consideration as not all elements are yet implemented or planned).

Given that this is a core feature on PVRs I would be very surprised if YouView had simply overlooked the need for such a feature in their earlier development and planning. That need was then backed up at the beginning, and throughout, the trial phase and once again rapidly reconfirmed at the beginning of the public forum where it was acknowledged by YouView when marked as planned and hence presumably implementation was well underway. To say I was astonished when it failed to make it into the 30/10/2012 update would be an overstatement although it was a surprise and disappointment.

As I have said in the last week on this topic, I would thus be very surprised if it does not now make it into the next main features update in the new year. As I and others said then this is the last main feature that really needs to be there (before general developments and improvements become the focus). This feature really does need to come through at that time as although it may not be trivial to implement, given its fundamental nature, if it does not make it to the end user some 7-8 months after being raised and acknowledged as important the confidence of many customers could be significantly eroded.

Whilst the absence of this feature is inconvenient it is not a major problem to me in the short term and so for now I'm happy to wait (and like churchwarden and others generally very happy with my YouView box) but I do expect to see this in the near future.
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:31AM
    Keith1 said:

I was not surprised yesterday to follow the recent activity on this topic, as people have generally said it is quite a surprise to discover there is no EPG search on YouView yet.

When I first got my box I used it for a week and noted down various problems, surprises and things that could do with improving or adding. Although I do not use an EPG search that much, when I do want it not having it is frustrating. After that first week, via the YouView feedback form, I then sent YouView a sequence of feedback emails (since the form has a word/character limit) of which this was at the top of my list. A few weeks later the trials forum opened and unsurprisingly someone created a topic about this that became very popular (and on which others also noted they had already sent similar feedback like me via the feedback form). The YouView feedback at that time acknowledged how important people saw this missing feature and stated they would prioritise future development to take this in to account (which of course does not actually mean this was made a top priority). For the public forum this was the first seed topic I created based on how important people had seen it during the trials. When the public forum opened this was the run away most popular idea topic. When the forum had been running a little while YouView then marked some topics as under consideration or planned etc. This was one of the first topics marked as planned which then drops it from the list on the main community page (presumably as one considers it then to be in hand so less important to highlight even though very popular). Since then the topic has remained popular but was surpassed in votes by the channel list management (which is only under consideration as not all elements are yet implemented or planned).

Given that this is a core feature on PVRs I would be very surprised if YouView had simply overlooked the need for such a feature in their earlier development and planning. That need was then backed up at the beginning, and throughout, the trial phase and once again rapidly reconfirmed at the beginning of the public forum where it was acknowledged by YouView when marked as planned and hence presumably implementation was well underway. To say I was astonished when it failed to make it into the 30/10/2012 update would be an overstatement although it was a surprise and disappointment.

As I have said in the last week on this topic, I would thus be very surprised if it does not now make it into the next main features update in the new year. As I and others said then this is the last main feature that really needs to be there (before general developments and improvements become the focus). This feature really does need to come through at that time as although it may not be trivial to implement, given its fundamental nature, if it does not make it to the end user some 7-8 months after being raised and acknowledged as important the confidence of many customers could be significantly eroded.

Whilst the absence of this feature is inconvenient it is not a major problem to me in the short term and so for now I'm happy to wait (and like churchwarden and others generally very happy with my YouView box) but I do expect to see this in the near future.

Indeed, but there's a difference between expressing surprise and accusing YV of incompetently overlooking the feature and of providing dishonest or mere marketing responses when they say they acknowledge the importance and are working on it.

Those are the sole aspects of anyone's posts that I've disagreed with.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 18 November 2012, 3:29PM
    It's a bit of an inconvenience but the other features of the box still make it worthwhile having. There is a Freeview HD iPad and iPhone app which allows me to search for things in the meantime if I wish (there may well be an Android version too) but I'd have to say, most things I set up to record are done either by series link or by pressing the green button when a trailer is on. I know the green button isn't always available so hopefully this is something which the broadcasters will be expanding.
  • Sean McquillanSean Mcquillan Member Posts: 1
    edited 26 November 2012, 9:04PM

Hi Chris

I came here because the whole family agreed that we must have been missing something obvious and a forum would put us right!

To discover that there really was no way to search the EPG was an absolute gobsmacker.

It's not really a 'feature' is it, it's a basic function that someone must have simply forgotten to include.

I am new and I would like to complain! That Parrott (Youview) you sold me not 2 hours ago (this morning) is dead (cannot search the EPG nor upcoming genre)! I can't believe those apprentices (S'Alan's lackey's) have missed this! bbbbasic
  • Keith StarsmeareKeith Starsmeare Member Posts: 22
    This is a major inconvenience and one that smacks of being a deliberate omission. Instead of being able find the upcoming programmes the search shows only the programmes available in the On Demand players most of which will force us to watch ads to see the programme. I'm sure ITV and Channel 4 consider this a great idea. Massive step backwards in convenience IMHO. I'll be warning people not to bother with YV until they fix this problem.

This is a major inconvenience and one that smacks of being a deliberate omission. Instead of being able find the upcoming programmes the search shows only the programmes available in the On Demand players most of which will force us to watch ads to see the programme. I'm sure ITV and Channel 4 consider this a great idea. Massive step backwards in convenience IMHO. I'll be warning people not to bother with YV until they fix this problem.

We seem to have 2 Keiths! Am I correct in believing you are NOT the same Keith who started this thread?
  • foodepediafoodepedia Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 December 2012, 5:18PM
    Keith1 said:

Well I guess you mean me. It does still smack of a form of incompetence to not include something so obviously important that other PVRs all have it. If it's not incompetence then it must have been for a reason that was to do with deadlines, team ability or some mysterious marketing purpose. The men in suits.

As to their responses, well I'm sure we are all familiar with being told 'It's being taken care of sir' and it's not entirely cynical to take that with a pinch of salt. I don't mean to question any one individual's integrity, only that of the corporation

Martin you have every faith in the update coming soon and trust the support team when they say that it is. I hope you're right.

I am finding the YouView to be a good PVR, occasionally failing to start recording at the right time but generally up to expectations.

The lack of the search is an annoyance at this time of year though.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM

Oh noooooo! First it's two Martins now it's two Keiths - where will this end?
    Please can Keith number 2 make a small change to his name? (Easy to do in the profile - hover over "Welcome" at top right of the screen.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 11:29PM

Hi churchwarden - Keith who posted above is indeed not me - maybe I'll have to consider creating an avatar to be even more recognisable :)

Hi Keith - I agree not having this feature can be inconvenient at times. This feature idea has been marked as planned for quite some time now and thus I very much expect it to arrive in the next features update in the new year.

He is not!
    Here is a suggestion for Keith number one's avatar:
    edited 14 December 2012, 5:56PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi everyone. We are working on this feature, and I've just updated to status of this topic to "planned". We'll let you know as soon as the release is scheduled. We hadn't forgotten it about, and we do know how important it is. Thanks for all your feedback here.

3 months later... any news on when this essential basic feature will be implemented?
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all. Development is complete and this feature is being tested, ready for our next software update to all Humax boxes which is likely to be in January. TalkTalk Huawei boxes will follow once their teams have integrated and tested.
  • ScuttlebroomScuttlebroom Member Posts: 279
    edited 14 December 2012, 6:16PM
    Piers2 said:

Hi all. Development is complete and this feature is being tested, ready for our next software update to all Humax boxes which is likely to be in January. TalkTalk Huawei boxes will follow once their teams have integrated and tested.

Thanks for the update Piers, looking forward to the next release!
  • Chris GoldingChris Golding Member Posts: 10
    edited 14 December 2012, 6:20PM
    Piers2 said:

Good news :-)
    Keith1 said:

As you can see from a post made just 10 minutes ago, it's being worked on and should be here in January

http://community.youview.com/youview/...
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:32AM
    Piers2 said:

HURRRAH!

Santa Piers you have made a lot of people's day with that news. :-)
    edited 14 December 2012, 6:29PM
    Piers2 said:

Thanks for the update Piers.
  • Bob CaseBob Case Member Posts: 30
    edited 14 December 2012, 6:37PM
    Piers2 said:

In the words of Bart SImpson, "Yes, Oh Yes, OH YES!!!!"
    Piers2 said:

That's nice for you lucky Humax folk, but for us poor TalkTalk people it probably means we'll get it in March....moan....moan...moan :-(

This is now quite funny. When I commented on there being 2 Keiths, each of these just showed as 'Keith'. Now Keith 2 has followed a suggestion above, and changed his name, and it makes my original comment look a bit dumb... Heho. Yes, Keith 1. - I think you need a distinctive Avatar. New thread? Suggestions for Keith avatar?
    Piers2 said:

Great, Piers. Super news. Keep up the good work!

Sympathies, gwatuk. But patience is a virtue (and I want it NOW!)
    Piers2 said:

I want it yesterday. :-)
    Piers2 said:

LOL. :-D