Recording in progress indicator on box

KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Feedback
On some other PVRs if they are in standby but then come on for a scheduled recording then some indication shows on the box, e.g. the power light comes on or perhaps a message shows on the message screen.

Whilst in general one does not need to know if a recording is underway it can be reassuring to know when the box is doing something, e.g. you are in the room and do not want to watch the programme now and have set it but cannot help but turn it on just to check a vital recording has started. The box is of course very reliable so one could equally say there should be no need to second guess it and ever check such a vital recording has started as expected.

Another reason for having some indication it is doing something and is really on is so you do not turn it off at the wall at that point, e.g. you want to move things around and inadvertently unplug it midway through a recording both spoiling the recording and maybe even leading to some hardware fault if very very unlucky.

Presumably one option would be a software change such that when a recording is underway it turns the circular light around the power button from red to blue.

Comments

• edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Changing the circle light on the Humax could be confusing as it makes the box look like it's on.

Also the TalkTalk box doesn't seem to have a blue circle: http://sales.talktalk.co.uk or indeed a display!
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Thanks Martin - if this could not be done consistently across the different hardware then that is not so good.

Ideally I would like to have some indication it is doing something, shame there is not another colour so it could show 3 different statuses: standby, recording, fully on.

This was something some people raised in the trials process but I had not yet got round to putting up here for further input until now.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 2:13PM
    Yes - the differences between different manufacturers YouView designs make it slightly harder to offer this feature on every box, but we are looking at some options for the current boxes. I'll update you when we have more information.
    I agree it'd be useful, and a orange or green ring on the Humax would be a great way of showing it was recording - could stop someone accidentally switching the plug off during a vital series link!

I looked in the Huawei user guide http://m0.ttxm.co.uk/sites/rightnow/P... but can't see any reference to what the three lights ont he front of the box shown n the pictures actually represent.
  • adam1adam1 Member Posts: 6
    edited 9 December 2013, 10:39PM
    The huawei box does have this already, the lights flash in sequence when recording is in operation. The middle light indicates power on. Not sure why it doesn't just light up the red right hand side light to indicate recording though!
  • Andrew MarlowAndrew Marlow Member Posts: 65
    edited 12 February 2013, 8:45PM
    Visual feedback that the box is recording would be really useful. Our Sony DVD recorder has a little red spot and "REC" also in red that light up when it is recording. Its quite small but bright enough to be seen from across the room.
    Maybe worth reminding people that there are various YouView boxes, one doesn't even have a display and the options for changing what's displayed in the HUMAX box will be limited by whatever hardware HUMAX put in the box.

If the display is only capable of displaying orange and doesn't have a pre-printed/etched REC sign it's unlikely this sort of indicator will be able to be added.

As I understand it, changing the display fall outside of YouView's responsibility as it's a STB maker issue.
  • AxolotlAxolotl Member Posts: 53
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Have I misunderstood the comments above? The Humax box does show when a recording is in progress when in standby.

It illuminates a little "REC" symbol above the orange time display.

If you're watching a recording or TV, it rather annoyingly splats a message across the picture for about ten seconds to say "Now recording x" where x is the name of the program it is recording.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Axolotl said:

Have I misunderstood the comments above? The Humax box does show when a recording is in progress when in standby.

If you're watching a recording or TV, it rather annoyingly splats a message across the picture for about ten seconds to say "Now recording x" where x is the name of the program it is recording.

Mine doesn't. It doesn't have an orange time display, either. When it's off, it's off, with only the orange ring to show that it's not actually Off.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 17 December 2012, 11:30PM
    Axolotl said:

Strange. I have a BT supplied Humax DTR1000, new about a month ago. What have you got?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    Axolotl said:

A retail Humax box, new about two months ago. On Low Eco, with no RF pass-through.

Have you got RF pass-through enabled, and are on Low Eco? I believe this has been reported as causing such undocumented differences.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 18 December 2012, 12:55AM
    Axolotl said:

I have RF passthru enabled, but I'm currently on high-ECO. I gues you could try enabling RF passthru and see if the clock (and recording symbol) appear?
  • billmarsbillmars Member Posts: 40
    edited 18 December 2012, 11:16AM
    Axolotl said:

Axolotl wrote12 hours ago:-
    >Have I misunderstood the comments above? The Humax box does show >when a recording is in progress when in standby.
    >It illuminates a little "REC" symbol above the orange time display.

It does, but it is so small and insignificant to be virtually useless as a recording indicator. I noticed it a few months ago and even on close scrutiny found it difficult to decipher the letters 'REC'!
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 18 December 2012, 12:29PM
    Axolotl said:

The " rec" symbol is not actuly illuminated in standby ( humax box) only when the youview box is on.
    edited 18 December 2012, 2:09PM
    Axolotl said:

I'm afraid it is, at least on my box.

I deliberately checked last night before posting here. Humax DTR1000 (BT) set to record a programme at 22.00, on standby (with orange circle round centre button, showing time in orange display panel). The "REC" symbol lit up at 22.00, centre button still orange. As above, it is set for High-ECO with RF passthru enabled.

Maybe RF passthru stops it going to sleep completely, but it still takes the full 2 minutes or whatever it is now to wake up from this state when you need to use it.

I could probably post a picture of it doing this if I can work out how.
  • David DrizenDavid Drizen Member Posts: 183
    edited 18 December 2012, 2:52PM
    Axolotl said:

Well my box is low eco mode, just checked it recording doctors at present, put my box in to stand by mode a d "REC" light gose out. I should my RF passthough is off. How old is your box mine is an original trail box, about 6 months old. If yours is later box may be the hardware is slightly different.
    edited 18 December 2012, 10:22PM
    Axolotl said:

My box is only a few weks old, I signed up with BT as soon as they started shipping it. I must confess I've not used it much yet, just tried a few things out. When I got it I asked Humax support if there was a guide that included the front panel display and what it shows, but got no reply. For instance, as well as "REC" it sometimes shows "TV" and "Full" I assume "TV" means I'm watching TV through the box, but "Full"? I've no idea. It isn't disk full, 'cos it is 97% empty.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Axolotl - in answer to your query above in the comments about the different panel display icons, there is a list of them and what they mean at

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/wha...

e.g. FULL refers to the resolution being 1080p, HD refers to high definition. So if you see FULL HD it can be confusing as one may think it means the hard disk is full when it actually is nothing to do with that.
    edited 18 December 2012, 10:44PM
    Keith1 said:

Hi Axolotl - in answer to your query above in the comments about the different panel display icons, there is a list of them and what they mean at

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/wha...

e.g. FULL refers to the resolution being 1080p, HD refers to high definition. So if you see FULL HD it can be confusing as one may think it means the hard disk is full when it actually is nothing to do with that.

Thanks for the link. oddly, although I seem to be the only one who sees the "REC" icon, I have many programmes scheduled for recording.but I've never seen the clock icon to show a programme is scheduled for recording. Do you know when that is supposed to show? e.g. on / stand by / high/low eco?
    edited 8 January 2013, 9:16PM
    Axolotl said:

It does show but it is so tiny you cannot see it from across the room, you have to go right up to it.
  • Ed SlackbladderEd Slackbladder Member Posts: 86
    edited 28 February 2013, 6:46PM
    The five states of the Humax Vouview box - if it was up to me:-

[1] - Display is BLANK, circular LED is OFF = "Power Off".
    [2] - Display shows TIME, circular LED is OFF = "Standby".
    [3] - Display shows TIME/CHAN INFO, circular LED is RED = "Standby & Recording".
    [4] - Display shows CHAN INFO, circular LED is BLUE = "Power On".
    [5] - Display shows CHAN INFO, circular LED is RED = "On & Recording".

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    "FULL HD" is surely only confusing to people who don't know the difference between High Definition (HD) and a Hard Disk Drive (HDD). And get on their hands and knees to check the front of the box.

• TunbridgeBlokeTunbridgeBloke Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 March 2013, 5:17PM
    Can't you just make the LCD display simply say "Recording [program name]" like it does on my freesat humax box?
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:34AM
    The problem becomes more serious (at least with the Humax) if you turn your box off (i.e. put into sleep mode) in the middle of recording. This seems to entirely mess up the recording in progress.

What about an on-screen warning and requirement to confirm if you are attempting to turn a box off? That could be a consistent part of the Youview GUI and therefore not manufacturer or box dependent.
    edited 14 March 2013, 10:14AM
    Lbear1 said:

The problem becomes more serious (at least with the Humax) if you turn your box off (i.e. put into sleep mode) in the middle of recording. This seems to entirely mess up the recording in progress.

What about an on-screen warning and requirement to confirm if you are attempting to turn a box off? That could be a consistent part of the Youview GUI and therefore not manufacturer or box dependent.

Please NO. I do not want yet another case where you tell the machine to do something and it says "Are you sure?".
  • TanjaTanja Member Posts: 251
    edited 5 November 2015, 11:34AM
    Lbear1 said:

Hello Peter, we are sorry you are experiencing this issue.
    Can you please explain what you mean with this issue messing up the recording. Does the recording fail entirely or does it cut out a section perhaps? It would also be good to know what software version you are on. You can find that out by going to Settings > System Information > Software Versions.
  • agdeweyagdewey Member Posts: 40
    edited 14 June 2016, 5:02PM
    I'm not sure how this could be done on the DTR-T1010, as it appears to only have one colour of light, but it would be better to have a more obvious indication that a recording has started.
  • Clare CraneClare Crane Member Posts: 1
    edited 14 July 2013, 5:15PM
    My box is only a couple of weeks old and have used the record device several times. Till today I have three wee circles of colour from blue to red indicating that my recording was in progress. However, today there is nothing. I have checked on my view and it is recording, but I'm a bit confused as to why it's no longer lighting up as before. It is reassuring to know that the recording is happening, so is there any way I can rectify this?
  • Philip TrottPhilip Trott Member Posts: 1,040 admin
    edited 17 February 2017, 5:59PM
    Hi Clare, in this instance it might be best to speak to Huawei who manufacture the box to see why this has changed. Their contact details can be found here http://www.youview.com/support/kb/use....

Phil
  • JanCunninghamJanCunningham Member Posts: 2
    edited 9 December 2013, 10:39PM
    adam1 said:

The huawei box does have this already, the lights flash in sequence when recording is in operation. The middle light indicates power on. Not sure why it doesn't just light up the red right hand side light to indicate recording though!

The 3circle cycling is very distracting when trying to watch something else. Can this be changed?