Extend instant recording to include content from the buffer back to the start of the programme

Comments

• churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Well, Martin. If the YouView logo were reduced slightly in size, so that it could fit alongside the list of days on the left, then the list of days could be moved up to the top of the screen. That would free up a whole line (currently wasted space above the list of days, and that would be perfect for a one line programme description. These minor layout changes would at least give some programme info without needing to use the 'i' key - a useful addition I would suggest.

I broadly agree, Gomez. However, bear in mind that MyStuff has about 15 screens of configuration options - each option a single line - a far cry from the simple-to-use interface YouView are striving for!

That having been said, I totally agree that the MyStuff interface is a masterpiece of design - in fact from my point of view (as a geek) - the best pvr interface I have used. My wife, however, would NEVER master it. That does not preclude YouView looking at it to get some ideas as to how they might improve their interface over time, as you suggest.

Also, it is interesting that the MyStuff interface was provided by Topfield users, not by Topfield themselves. HAlso, being 'open', loads of others also wrote add-ons for it, making it a really full-featured interface. There was even an add-on for setting recordings directly from within Digiguide - another idea that has been mooted on these forums.
  • Andrew McloughlinAndrew Mcloughlin Member Posts: 12
    edited 30 December 2012, 11:02AM

Well, Martin. If the YouView logo were reduced slightly in size, so that it could fit alongside the list of days on the left, then the list of days could be moved up to the top of the screen. That would free up a whole line (currently wasted space above the list of days, and that would be perfect for a one line programme description. These minor layout changes would at least give some programme info without needing to use the 'i' key - a useful addition I would suggest.

+1 for My Stuff. I've tried many other others but My Stuff is still the best. I really love the Idea of an HD PVR with internet add ons but in the end I always give up in exasperation with the interface and go back to my Topfield.
  • billmarsbillmars Member Posts: 40
    edited 30 December 2012, 11:42AM

Quite agree about MyStuff. The interface, especially the EPG screens, are easy to see, gives more information without pressing keys and uses all the available screen area, unlike YouView. Did YouView even look at other EPG layouts? It seems not from the inadequate offer they have ended up with.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    I don't think it's particularly helpful to compare Topfield PVRs with YouView. The Toppy range is clearly much-loved by enthusiasts, but that is precisely who it is aimed at, a narrow market of niche users who like to be able to twiddle and tweak to the nth degree. It is like comparing 99% of ADSL routers with the Netgear models which were so gleefully seized upon by DG Team and venerated by those who like to see how low they can crank down their SNR margin before their broadband connection keels over and dies ("I got down to 1.6dB, look at me, aren't I clever.")

By all means carry on with your various hobbies such as building steam-powered valve radios in your sheds, but please do not try to impose your whacky ideas on the rest of us.

Oh, and perhaps we could stay on topic? Good idea, Keith. :)
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 30 December 2012, 12:16PM
    redchiz said:

I don't think it's particularly helpful to compare Topfield PVRs with YouView. The Toppy range is clearly much-loved by enthusiasts, but that is precisely who it is aimed at, a narrow market of niche users who like to be able to twiddle and tweak to the nth degree. It is like comparing 99% of ADSL routers with the Netgear models which were so gleefully seized upon by DG Team and venerated by those who like to see how low they can crank down their SNR margin before their broadband connection keels over and dies ("I got down to 1.6dB, look at me, aren't I clever.")

By all means carry on with your various hobbies such as building steam-powered valve radios in your sheds, but please do not try to impose your whacky ideas on the rest of us.

You don't think ideas on how to improve Youview are on topic on these forums?
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:56PM
    redchiz said:

Absolutely. And the topic under discussion here, as outlined in BOLD in the first post, is: Extend instant recording to include content from the buffer back to the start of the programme.
  • Andrew McloughlinAndrew Mcloughlin Member Posts: 12
    edited 30 December 2012, 12:28PM
    redchiz said:

I actually don't enjoy tweeking and twiddling but unfortunately that's what I had to do to get a properly working PVR. MyStuff enables me do do that but I'd be just as happy with a mainstream PVR that worked with no fuss straight out of the box. If YouView took some lessons from My Stuff it would save everyone some time.
    edited 30 December 2012, 12:33PM
    redchiz said:

A topic that has lain dormant for three months and had everything already said about it there is to say? A topic that is ressurected just to ask if there is any news? Thread drift is as inevitable under those circumstances as death and taxes.
    redchiz said:

I think you should read the earlier posts more carefully, Redchiz, prior to launching into a somewhat disparaging post accusing people of 'imposing whacky ideas on the rest of us.". (there are currently 5 hidden responses under my post above, that you have to click on to be able to see them). The suggestion was that there were things to be LEARNED from the MyStuff interface, not that it should be implemented 100%. Gomez has adequately covered my other point - thanks Gomez.
    Oh, and I don't have a shed. What is a steam-powered radio?
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:30PM
    redchiz said:

>> Oh, and I don't have a shed. What is a steam-powered radio? <<

You mean you didn't get my Christmas gifts? Bloody couriers!
    redchiz said:

I only got one present via couriers - but it says not to open it until New Year. Was that from you, Martin? Oh-oh it has stopped ticking .......! Must be a faulty electric clo....
    redchiz said:

Stopped ticking? That'll be the Amstrad alarm clock...
    redchiz said:

LOL.....! Fired? What do you mean fired?
    edited 30 December 2012, 4:57PM
    redchiz said:

Only "adequately"? I am not living up to my school motto then.
    redchiz said:

Sorry, Gomez - 'perfectly' - I won't change the original, as this thread is confusing enough with people like you and me interfering with it. Please stop it, or I will have to report you to the head boy (or girl) - oh, I give up!!!! (cheers heard off-stage left)
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 30 December 2012, 7:04PM
    redchiz said:

Nobody's suggesting that YouView should have the huge range of options that MyStuff allows. In fact, much as I love the Toppy+MyStuff combination for myself, I'm well known for actively dissuading people from buying a Toppy (if they can even get hold of one) unless they are a confirmed tinkerer. There are just too many issues with it for those who want something that just works out of the box.

What we ARE saying is that there are many examples in its UI of how to do some things that people are saying can't be done because there isn't room on the screen, you can't make information readable if you add more, etc. - all of which is proven blatantly untrue by MyStuff if you use the real estate on the screen effectively.

For example, we don't need an OPTION to show the programme information for the currently hightlighted programme in the EPG without having to press the i button. Just make better use of the space above the EPG grid itself. Rather than have a large YouView logo and a wide (but not full screen) date ribbon, put a slightly compressed date ribbon next to a smaller logo, and use the rest of the space next to the mini picture (which I like, and MyStuff DOESN'T have) to display the first 2-3 lines of the programme description.
  • juwlzjuwlz Member Posts: 27
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Back on topic, the "sensible" approach here is not to have configurable options about what should happen when you press the record button (since it's likely to vary from occasion to occasion anyway), but to give the user the choice at the time about when to start and stop the recording.

i.e. start from
    Start of buffer
    Start of current programme
    Now

and continue
    to end of current programme
    for a choosable number of minutes / hours
    until I press stop (or run out of disk space or switch off)
    to Now (assuming we started at some point earlier than now)

... with the first 2 options being the default, so I just press Record, OK to quickly get everything from the start of the buffer to the end of the current programme (without accidentally throwing the contents of the buffer away), but I can still choose some other option if that's what I want.

Similarly, allowing the user to rewind and then press Record should mean "start recording from this point in the buffer", which allows for recording just a small section of a programme (e.g. a particular news item). The end point can be chosen as above.
    >>I think you should read the earlier posts more carefully, Redchiz<<

I did and I support the original idea. The fact that the Happy-Clappy-Toppy-Hippies can't find the right place to post about their hobby isn't my fault.
    edited 30 December 2012, 7:45PM
    redchiz said:

I did and I support the original idea. The fact that the Happy-Clappy-Toppy-Hippies can't find the right place to post about their hobby isn't my fault.

You are off topic with that post ... but that's cool, man.
    redchiz said:

I don't think name-calling is appropriate or helpful in an adult forum, Redchiz.
    redchiz said:

What are you on about???
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Redchiz,

In my opinion, churchwarden is correct. Comments such as "Happy-Clappy-Toppy-Hippies" are pretty unhelpful and likely only to stir up rows and bad feelings.

Neither CW or I are moderators - and FWIW I don't happen to think any one other than YouView staff should be moderators - so we can't tell you what you can and can't post.

But within that, I think it's right to suggest that people not go out of their way to post comments mocking, making fun or insulting other forum users or groups of them. There's just no need for deliberate unpleasantness.

What you ultimately do is of course up to you.
    OK Martin, you are entitled to your opinion of course. And I realise that tongue-in-cheek is a difficult nuance to convey on a forum.

I apologise to anyone who may have taken offence. Perhaps in turn churchwarden would reconsider his/her rather patronising inference of people not being fully capable of reading topics? ;)
    juwlz said:

Back on topic, the "sensible" approach here is not to have configurable options about what should happen when you press the record button (since it's likely to vary from occasion to occasion anyway), but to give the user the choice at the time about when to start and stop the recording.

i.e. start from
    Start of buffer
    Start of current programme
    Now

and continue
    to end of current programme
    for a choosable number of minutes / hours
    until I press stop (or run out of disk space or switch off)
    to Now (assuming we started at some point earlier than now)

... with the first 2 options being the default, so I just press Record, OK to quickly get everything from the start of the buffer to the end of the current programme (without accidentally throwing the contents of the buffer away), but I can still choose some other option if that's what I want.

Similarly, allowing the user to rewind and then press Record should mean "start recording from this point in the buffer", which allows for recording just a small section of a programme (e.g. a particular news item). The end point can be chosen as above.

In my opinion the sensible approach is simply to record the current programme from the earliest point held in buffer (in most cases this would be the start of the show).

Realistically, how many times would the majority of people want to record a particular news item? It's not like you can get the recordings off the YouView box or back them up so all you can do is watch and delete them.
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Does this mean I have to return my Happy-Clappy-Toppy-Hippy beads? :(
    gomez said:

Does this mean I have to return my Happy-Clappy-Toppy-Hippy beads? :(

Entirely voluntary, mate, lol.
    redchiz said:

OK Martin, you are entitled to your opinion of course. And I realise that tongue-in-cheek is a difficult nuance to convey on a forum.

I apologise to anyone who may have taken offence. Perhaps in turn churchwarden would reconsider his/her rather patronising inference of people not being fully capable of reading topics? ;)

I'm sorry if you took offence at my comment, Redchiz.
    redchiz said:

Don't worry, I didn't, it's only the internet, you know?
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:55PM
    Despite the fact that this subject has been neglected for some time it seems that the 109 people who like this idea are not wrong.
    The first 30 contributions to our features survey have made this the most popular item.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:34AM
    Yet more spam.