Playing back a recording which is "in progress"

Scott1Scott1 Posts: 51Member
edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM in Archived Posts
When playing back a recording while it is still in progress, if you fast forward through the recording (e.g. match of the day - I'm not necessarily bothered about every game) eventually you catch up with the live broadcast.

It would be good if the box switched to that channel (or at least gave you an option to do so) so that you could continue watching the programme.

I often have this problem with match of the day, or when watching a recording with ads that you can easily skip through to "catch up" the live broadcast.

Comments

• Nick2Nick2 Posts: 40Member
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Hi,

I agree; it seriously ****** me off that it doesn't just continue to play (with a slight buffer).

Every PVR I've owned has done that, except YV, which just stops!
  • gomezgomez Posts: 2,073Member ✭✭
    edited 2 January 2013, 12:12PM
    The trick is to switch to the channel before you start chase playing. To avoid spoilers mute the sound and don't look at the TV until you have pressed the Menu/Youview button.

None of the many PVRs I have used have switched automatically to the channel being chase-played.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Whilst none of the PVRs I have had have had this feature I would see it as a nice touch if it were implemented.

This idea to have chase play seamlessly switch to the live channel when you catch up has come up previous on the forum here. It is item 65 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests :)
  • edited 2 January 2013, 12:25PM
    Nick2 said:

Hi,

I agree; it seriously ****** me off that it doesn't just continue to play (with a slight buffer).

Every PVR I've owned has done that, except YV, which just stops!

And yet Sky+, the most widely used PVR in the UK, doesn't.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Such features aren't simple to implement and require even further processing on the part of the box.

To ensure the box doesn't start randomly turning over to channels at the end of every recording, it would have to have to check if the recording you were watching was still in progress when it hit the 'end'.

Only then could it switch over.
  • PiersPiers Posts: 561Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017, 1:13PM
    Hi Scott. I agree that it's annoying, and it's not how we designed it to work. We've specified that the recording should continue to play "as live" once you reach the current end of the recording, rather than ending. We can't fix this ourselves as it's not YouView code, but we'll let you know when it's been scheduled by Humax.
  • KeithKeith Posts: 2,436Member, Champion mod
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Thanks Piers - it is good to know this behaviour is already captured in the YouView spec. I've updated item 65 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests to note that fact :)
  • Scott1Scott1 Posts: 51Member
    edited 21 November 2016, 5:25PM
    Thanks Piers - understand the limitation. When an in-progress recording currently reaches its end, would it be possible to add "watch live" as a second option box under the current option (which I think is currently something like"programme has ended - click OK")?

While this solution may not be totally seamless, it would at least be a quick way of switching to the correct channel. If I am watching a recording while it's in progress, I have usually avoided that channel to avoid spoilers.
  • tracestraces Posts: 199Member
    edited 24 November 2016, 7:25PM
    When watching a recording and catching up to real time, automatically watching live is by far the best solution. Thank You Piers, YouView and HUMAX.
  • AndyBurtonAndyBurton Posts: 11Member
    edited 18 September 2013, 8:26AM
    Any update on this? It's a constant annoyance!
  • stormystormy Posts: 1,026Member ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 5:12PM
    Soon I expect, youview can't tell us when, but soon. Sometime, maybe or maybe not.