Extended info

Tom1Tom1 Member Posts: 36
edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM in Archived Posts
Anyone like the idea of extended programme info with integrated web content such as longer descriptions, reviews, actor biog etc. It would probably be a pain to integrate, but I like the idea.

Comments

• Keith StarsmeareKeith Starsmeare Member Posts: 22
    edited 2 January 2013, 1:32PM
    The Classic BT Vision service provided an excellent 14 day EPG with full descriptions and you could search by actor/director as well as title. YouView's 7 day EPG with no search seems barely usable in comparison.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi Keith

YouView uses the EPG data broadcast by the channels themselves which is how it can track schedule changes and ensure recordings take place when the programmes air and not in a fixed day/time slot.

The old 14 day BT Vision didn't use this 'dynamic' EPG and had to be downloaded to the boxes every X number of hours.

In addition, few of the main channels fully finalise their schedules more than 7 days ahead and so extended EPGs are more prone to error and corrections.

Where some Freeview boxes have used such EPGs, users have been hit by problems when companies have made changes:

http://www.freeview.co.uk/Resolutions...

For a service such as YouView to use a RELIABLE 14 day EPG this would need broadcaster support.
    edited 2 January 2013, 5:02PM
    They could use an extended service in conjunction with the broadcast EPG to offer an unbeatable EPG experience.

The YouView EPG is currently also too slow for my liking, it's clearly reading the broadcast data on demand as opposed to keeping a cached version for responsive access.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    >> They could use an extended service in conjunction with the broadcast EPG to offer an unbeatable EPG experience.

They could not.

The box cannot correctly schedule recordings and resolve conflicts working across 2 separate EPGs and the inherent and serious inaccuracies of days 8-14 would cause a series of failed recordings, for example when programmes never got broadcast in the week suggested in the extended EPG.

If 14 day EPGs were sustainable and workable they would already be a standard feature across platforms.
    edited 2 January 2013, 5:45PM
    Nonsense. Of course they could. And it wouldn't be rocket science. Sure they would have to resolve conflicts, but I don't know why you think these would represent a difficult, let alone impossible problem to solve. I've certainly solved much harder problems in my line of work...

14 day EPGs are sustainable and workable today on BT Vision. They have some drawbacks, but so does using the OTA broadcast EPG. Hence using both could provide a much better solution.
  • tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    More interactive content would be great.

Was watching some Lottery game show the other day where you had to press green to play along. So I tried it and was taken to a 30? channel and had to press the colour button corresponding to the relevant answer to the on screen question.

Had to leave so don't know if the answer was correct or not.

But anyway, more interactive things like this would be awesome.

IMDB access in the episode description would also be good.