I have a dream; give me easy access to all the new content relevant to me

Jon BinnieJon Binnie Member Posts: 3
edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM in Archived Posts
I have just got my Youview box installed and I thinks its amazing. I think it sells its self a little short.

The guide which goes into the past is good, but its not the best feature, and the box can do so much more. I think some people also find it hard to get this concept.

My idea would be to make more of the Youview universal access to digital tv and on demand channels/online content. Imagine turning on your TV in the evening and your Youview box telling you about all the latest tv shows, films etc which are now available since you last watched TV Similar to the Tivos, it could base the new/latest content based on your individual interests such as action films, sci-fi, documentries etc.

Youview is an amazing platform, and I would love to see it further developed in this way.

Comments

• edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Virgin's TiVo records any old junk which fits into the same genre as a show you watched/recorded or happens to have a cast member in common.

The hype around it then tries to convince people something magical has happened but it's actually just a very unsophisticated algorithm which cannot replicate the complex reasons why people pick and choose shows to watch.

Plus I know a number of people who've had planned recordings fail because despite the assurances otherwise, the TiVo recorded its 'suggestion' instead if their series link.

In short, hated this 'feature' when I had the misfortune to have a VM TiVo for 4 months.

If YV were to implement anything like this I'd want it to work a lot better then the TiVo version and without the annoying 'thumbs up/down' guff.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    Hi Jon - others have this dream too :)

There is a similar topic here about a recommendations system and also another one here about a suggestions system. A programme suggestion/recommendation system is item 71 in the consolidated list of improvements and feature requests :)
  • Jon BinnieJon Binnie Member Posts: 3
    edited 2 January 2013, 10:36AM
    Good to know Martin. I guess the real challenge is intelligently identifying what new content is relevant to you, whilst at the same time ignoring what isn't. This could be based on preferences for genres set my you and/or your viewing habits.

Youview has a good feature through the on demand/TV where you can select the genre for content across the various players. Taking this feature to the next level would be amazing.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 2 January 2013, 11:41AM
    I think I will stick with my Tuesday morning ritual of settling down with a nice cup of coffee and the new Radio Times with marker pen in hand, ta. :)

I can always rely on the several special interest forums I follow to give a heads up for anything I may not have noticed or my faithful old Toppy to flag up programmes using text-based searches I have had set up over many years.

What I would hate is to be bothered by nags from the PVR about programmes *it* thinks I may be interested in.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Hi John

>> I guess the real challenge is intelligently identifying what new content is relevant to you,

But that's simply impossible for any software to do, how we make decisions about to watch is deeply unique.

I watched Upstairs Downstairs, Gavin & Stacey and Mrs Biggs. They span two genres and I watched each for a different reason. All three feature a particular actor but he happens to be one element of each show I could do without and someone I think is vastly overused.

But the sort of matching algorithm likely to be used for this feature would see his inclusion in the casts of the above shows and record everything else he appears in. That would be the polar opposite of what I'd want.

Equally I watch Doctor Who but think Karen Gillan is probably one of the worst actresses to appear in the show and her departure was long overdue. How do I stop the box recording everything she's in simply because I endured her presence in a show I've been watching for 30+ years?

Such systems are overhyped, very broad and frankly something I'd find it so unwelcome that, if it couldn't be switched off, I'd move from YouView to any other platform that didn't have such a pointless HDD-consuming 'feature'.
  • Keith StarsmeareKeith Starsmeare Member Posts: 22
    edited 2 January 2013, 9:40PM
    I too don't like the idea of it recording things that I have no intention of watching. But I could certainly see merit if they could mine my viewing data to provide suggestions for programs available in the guide that may be of interest to me.
  • Donald-Edinburgh YV TRIALISTDonald-Edinburgh YV TRIALIST Member Posts: 30
    edited 2 January 2013, 10:04PM
    One of the Terms you click YES to is that YV has the right to monitor what you watch and record and like.

In the Trial days there was big debate amongst the Trialists if they liked their data being taken like this and possibly sold to third parties for "marketing" or advertising purposes.

I would definitely tick the box saying NO, so that I did not receive such promotional stuff or content, but that is just me. You Jon can tick the YES box.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    Digiuide provides some pretty sophisticated search criteria - search by specified channels only - search for specific series of a programme and even episode - search by any word(s) in the title, or description - search for a programme name not currently being broadcast so you don't miss it when it comes around again (I'm thinking "Revenge" series 2, Martin - starting again Monday E4 8pm - Ch4 on the 10th, - ) - set favourites, again with limiting channels etc. - exception if certain words are found e.g. Repeat - set a programme as a favourite - etc. etc. Clicking on the "My TV" button shows all programmes for that day that match your defined criteria.

It would be possible for a link via Digiguide to automatically set a recording on the YouView box using selected items from this "My TV" menu - something similar was available with the Topfield box (sorry Redchiz - got bored with the steam radio) and apparently worked OK.

So all the sort of functionality to specifically tailor sophisticated searches already exists via Digiguide - it just doesn't link to YouView - but it could .......

Probably too complex to implement on a supposedly 'user-friendly' can-be-used-by-Mrs Trellis-of-North-Wales box - but, heh, I can dream.

In the meantime, I let Digiguide do my searching for me, and then set recordings accordingly.
  • edited 3 January 2013, 12:14AM

Digiuide provides some pretty sophisticated search criteria - search by specified channels only - search for specific series of a programme and even episode - search by any word(s) in the title, or description - search for a programme name not currently being broadcast so you don't miss it when it comes around again (I'm thinking "Revenge" series 2, Martin - starting again Monday E4 8pm - Ch4 on the 10th, - ) - set favourites, again with limiting channels etc. - exception if certain words are found e.g. Repeat - set a programme as a favourite - etc. etc. Clicking on the "My TV" button shows all programmes for that day that match your defined criteria.

It would be possible for a link via Digiguide to automatically set a recording on the YouView box using selected items from this "My TV" menu - something similar was available with the Topfield box (sorry Redchiz - got bored with the steam radio) and apparently worked OK.

So all the sort of functionality to specifically tailor sophisticated searches already exists via Digiguide - it just doesn't link to YouView - but it could .......

Probably too complex to implement on a supposedly 'user-friendly' can-be-used-by-Mrs Trellis-of-North-Wales box - but, heh, I can dream.

In the meantime, I let Digiguide do my searching for me, and then set recordings accordingly.

Cheers for the Revenge info, have series linked it and the Revenge: The First Chapter show before it.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Yes. I set up the First Chapter as well. They are making making Series 3 as well.
  • Jon BinnieJon Binnie Member Posts: 3
    edited 4 January 2013, 11:16PM
    Hi all,

Thanks for your input, this isn't an easy challenge nor is there a magic bullet.

However the true power of Youview is that you don't need to record TV. I dream of a box which can save me recording, and searching for new content. I would love to see Youview highlight new on demand content which is relevant to me.

I will keep on dreaming....

Jon