MyView Channel

Keith StarsmeareKeith Starsmeare Member Posts: 22
edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM in Archived Posts
Can we have a MyView Channel? I'd like to be able to look at my recordings without being distracted by the tiny live TV window with its background noise and not risk interrupting current recordings by using a tuner when I don't need to.

Also I'd like to be able to change from a playing recording (on the MyView channel) to a live channel and back (with the recording being paused when I change to another channel and resumed when I switch back). It's very handy when watching a programme with others and someone needs to leave the room for a minute or two.

Comments

• gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    I am totally confused as to what you are asking for. Can you clarify exactly what it is you want to do?
  • Keith StarsmeareKeith Starsmeare Member Posts: 22
    edited 2 January 2013, 6:43PM
    gomez said:

I am totally confused as to what you are asking for. Can you clarify exactly what it is you want to do?

I am asking for a service similar to what the BT Vision box did. You have a "channel" (it was 997 on BTV) which when you go to it (it appears in the guide too) it shows you the programmes you've recorded - just like the MyView section does now.

When you select a recording to play it's as if it were being broadcast on that channel, so you can then flip to another channel as normal, say BBC1 and your recorded programme is paused. When you eventually switch back to the recordings channel it would then resume your recorded programme from where you left it. So you can also switch off the box and go to bed, come back the next day and it'll resume as it'll still be on the recordings channel.
    edited 2 January 2013, 7:28PM
    gomez said:

So pause and resume is the big deal? The Youview box (and all PVRs in my experience) already do all of that. Only the presentation of the recording archive as a "channel" is novel and while I am not dismissing it out of hand I don't see it bringing anything new to the party.
  • edited 2 January 2013, 7:32PM
    gomez said:

As a former BT Vision user I'd say this was a pretty worthless 'feature' that seemed less a deliberate design decision and more a side-effect of the batty Microsoft software powering the box.

Really doesn't add anything to the user experience.
    edited 2 January 2013, 7:45PM
    gomez said:

It's more than pause and resume - it's also an immediate bookmark. Consider how many key presses you have to do on the YouView box to go from watching a recording, to watching live TV and then going back to the recording. It could be an awful lot if you have a few pages of recordings and it's just tedious.

It was clearly a design decision. Not sure what makes that batty.
    edited 2 January 2013, 7:49PM
    gomez said:

Not sure what distinction you are making between a pause and resume point and an "immediate bookmark"? Sound like the same beasty to me. The number of key presses to do it your way depends somewhat on what channel you are currently viewing.
    edited 2 January 2013, 8:06PM
    gomez said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Consider you are watching a recording. Then you want to watch the headlines on the news, so you press Guide and then select 1 for BBC1. How many presses is it to now get back to your recording? On BTV it would always be exactly 3 key presses to resume - 997. The best case on YV is 6 key presses which gets you watching the bottom programme on page one of your recordings. I currently have 5 pages of recordings and if you're watching an episode from a series that you've recorded you could easily be in the double digits of key presses to resume your programme. I'd describe that as tedious. And your batteries/remote won't last that long either!
  • edited 2 January 2013, 8:10PM
    gomez said:

Hi Gomez,

You're right, there's no difference between the pause-like handling of the recording when you change channels on BTV and the stopping of a recording on YV and just about every other PVR.

I'm not aware of any PVR which has bothered to replicate this supposed feature, unsurprising as it really doesn't add anything to the UX.

And seriously, how many times does anyone really switch back and forth between a recording and live programme?
    edited 2 January 2013, 8:17PM
    gomez said:

On YouView I'll rarely switch back and forth as it's really inconvenient! Which is why I raised this suggestion. Duh...

What do you do when you're watching a programme with others and someone has to answer the phone, visit the loo or put the kettle on? Just fill them in on what they missed when they were out of the room? I prefer to channel hop during the self made intermission.
    edited 2 January 2013, 8:24PM
    gomez said:

I make it five key presses to resume playback on the YV box. And that is wihout having to remember the channel number or move the thumb off its natural resting position on the navigation pad. Broad as it is long really.
  • edited 2 January 2013, 8:26PM
    gomez said:

"What do you do when you're watching a programme with others and someone has to answer the phone, visit the loo or put the kettle on?"

Pause the recording and wait.

Unless someone has a serious stomach disorder or is boiling water using nothing more than a plastic pot and the rays of the sun, these aren't things that take a long time.
    edited 2 January 2013, 8:34PM
    gomez said:

Sounds like you are on the Jehovahs Witnesses black list. ;)
    edited 2 January 2013, 8:35PM
    gomez said:

Isn't everyone?! ;-)
  • Donald-Edinburgh YV TRIALISTDonald-Edinburgh YV TRIALIST Member Posts: 30
    edited 2 January 2013, 9:42PM
    Keith - after you explained this more fully in your further comments I do understand what you are suggesting now. It is not something I am used to as I did not have a BT Box but I do understand the rationale behind it.

My previous box before YV was one of the Sharp TU series of boxes. The beauty of their systems was that there was a number of ways to do the same or similar function. Users could choose there preferred method of carrying out a command.

Old Project Canvas, pre-cursor to YV implementation, did recognise the alternative ways different systems carried out commands and within these individual systems, the number of ways you could do the same thing. They recognised that they had to import such alternatives to the YV rollout. Some people like pressing a number of buttons to get a command - some people like alternatives that a shorter but less logical.

Your suggestion is relevant and credible and should be put in the pot of future ideas. If this is a BT Vision box function, new YV users who were on the BT system will only continue to look for and ask for this functionality.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    gomez said:

How about pressing pause on the Youview and surfing with your TV tuner?
    edited 3 January 2013, 12:38PM
    gomez said:

Nice suggestion al. It's not quite as handy as the recording channel as you can't then pause/rewind etc. But it's better than sitting twiddling your thumbs I guess!
  • david2david2 Member Posts: 16
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    I was going to start a post on this very topic. I found the "recordings" channel on my old BT Vision box so useful. It also had an "on demand channel" which worked in exactly the same way.
    This was most useful when you were in the middle of watching something recorded or on-demand and wanted to carry on later (or the next day), you simply switched to the channel & it played right from where you left off, no hassle.

I currently find it frsutrating that you cannot even use the numbered buttons while watching a recording to switch to a live channel - you have to press guide first...what a grind ;-)

Anyway even if an on-demand channel is too much perhaps a recordings channel might be easier to implement?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 December 2016, 12:05AM
    david2 said:

I was going to start a post on this very topic. I found the "recordings" channel on my old BT Vision box so useful. It also had an "on demand channel" which worked in exactly the same way.
    This was most useful when you were in the middle of watching something recorded or on-demand and wanted to carry on later (or the next day), you simply switched to the channel & it played right from where you left off, no hassle.

I currently find it frsutrating that you cannot even use the numbered buttons while watching a recording to switch to a live channel - you have to press guide first...what a grind ;-)

Anyway even if an on-demand channel is too much perhaps a recordings channel might be easier to implement?

You were doing that the long way round you know. All you had to do was access your recordings page, select the content you wanted to continue and press play.

And there will be no recording channel on YouView. It works in a completely different way. Actually, its no longer available on BTV either. But a My View Menu page would be good. Showing what you've recently accessed, so one may quickly start watching it again. And the ability to create music playlists too. That would be possible.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 12 June 2013, 7:58AM
    david2 said:

Thanks visionman, I guessed on "on-demand" channel would be difficult since the on-demand works in a completely different way on Youview, however I thought recordings were just saved to your hard-drive & I don't really see why it is so different on Youview vs old BT Vision (but happy to be corrected!).

I had a silver BT Vision box by the way (an oldy but a goody).

Also i think you may have misunderstood the reason i liked the old "channel", it was not to access the list of recordings, but to be able to continue watching a part-watched recording by simply going to a channel number. Or to be able to easily switched between watching a recording & a live channel as if you are just channel hopping.
    I'm not 100% on what you thought I was doing the long way (but am sure I do many things the long way) but from memory the two options to continue watching a part-watched recording were/are:
    A:
    1)"BT Vision"/"blue youview button"
    2) scrolling to the "recordings"/"myview" section
    3) selecting the recording you want to watch (which may not be top of the list)
    4) pressing play

B: old BT Vision only
    1) go to channel 997 & it starts playing automatically from where you left off

Obviously strictly speaking you have to press 3 buttons to do this (9, 9 & 7!) bit still considerably quicker.

Currently option A seems to be the only way in youview? But I would be pleased to hear of a quicker way!

It's not a big development requirement, more of a nice to have refinement (which could instead be achieved via a number of other and possibly better functions such as others have mentioned a "recently watched" section).
    edited 12 June 2013, 8:15AM
    david2 said:

Also visionman I def like your idea of being able to create playlists in youview, this would be useful for short TV shows also