Add DLNA functionality

Comments

• edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    Hi Dave71

My comments aren't based on whether I'd use it - as someone who has used AirPlay on an AppleTV I can see the attraction of it - I just don't see it as something the majority would currently use and so suggest it's not the number 1 priority.

The membership of this forum represents at most, less than 1/30th of the total YouView userbase. There are 2,000 trial boxes, 29,000 TalkTalk boxes, an unknown number of BT boxes and however many retail boxes have been sold.

Of the 980 people who have joined the forum, some don't have YouView and have joined to ask pre-sales questions and the majority of posts are made by a small handful of folk.

Pro/anti, high/low priority, for/against, whatever any of our views or positions on any specific proposal, none of us can claim the number of posts or votes on this forum supports us or proves a truth.
  • iSPYiSPY Member Posts: 166
    edited 20 November 2012, 12:19PM

Here's my very simple explanation of why I want DLNA without use of the acronym.....

My family could record what they really want to watch on whatever box they happen to be using at the time and we could then watch it in whatever location we want to watch it from.

Put like that I suspect there are quite a few families with more than one TV who would like to do that and perhaps if DLNA wasn't called DLNA we would be getting more interest in it.

"Put like that I suspect there are quite a few families with more than one TV who would like to do that and perhaps if DLNA wasn't called DLNA we would be getting more interest in it."

Agree, I,m sure if consumers were asked if they wanted to view content on another TV in their homes the answer would be a yes.Some consumers need a bit of education sometimes hence Posts on here such as "do I need the Internet" etc, all valid questions from potential users.
  • JonWillJonWill Member Posts: 17
    edited 20 November 2012, 9:39AM
    Can I just spin this very interesting debate on its head - regardless of whether users will use DLNA server functionality (which I agree is currently of limited demand) - I believe that DLNA client capabilities will be more popular with YV's target market.

Being able to view your photos and stream your home movies on what is usually the highest quality screen in your house would be of great benefit to non-geeks - most of whom (e.g. my mother) complain that they never seem movies/ pictures now that they are locked away on the home PC. Given that most are wirelessly networked this should be relatively simple for technophobes and start opening up the world of home content sharing and fits with target demographics' demands, avoids copyright implications, and above all, should be easy to communicate.

However, whilst I want this functionality, I agree there are bug fixes and smartphone clients ahead of it in the queue...
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 9:29AM
    Hi Dave - Although in my post above I was commenting in relation to this specific topic, those comments about assessing the popularity or priority of any feature etc hold true in general as Martin has also just broadly stated.

As you have noted DLNA is the most popular idea on the forum that is not even marked as under consideration. YouView however will be marking up the topics as under consideration and planned etc based on the wider set of information they have and the discussions and planning meetings they no doubt hold. So one would assume that searching the guide is not just a popular forum topic but also one that their wider research shows is important to add next. In contrast presumably their wider research and assessment for DLNA concludes it is not something they can even mark as under consideration at the moment (although I would expect they are considering it and do have it on their roadmap somewhere).

I think the initial topic description and the various follow up comments from some make it clear what DLNA is and why it is a good feature for some users. In general we as customers have done largely all we can now on this topic (to explain what it is, state why some of us may want it (or not) and why it could be sensible to add it to compete with other products etc) and until such time as further information becomes available (to us) or YouView provide some feedback or ask questions etc there is perhaps not much more we as customers alone can add.
  • The MeekThe Meek Member Posts: 251
    edited 12 March 2013, 5:13PM
    DLNA has been about since 2003 but has not taken off. IMHO this is because of two reasons;

1) unsexy name that does not stick in the mind, hence I suspect the success apples trademarks and languishing of DLNA.

2) fussy video and audio formats - what plays on a Sony smart TV probably will not on a Samsung smart TV.

I want DLNA and I see a great opportunity for YV boxes to mesh for sharing recordings and streaming over the home LAN to smart TVs...

But they have to sort out a catchy name and get the DLNA server to support ALL video and audio formats that the client (such as smart TVs) may require.

In summary demanding DLNA server is not enough, it must also support required formats.
    Picking up on Jon's comments above about client functionality, I currently use DLNA client capabilites much more often (than server capabilities) for the purposes Jon states such as showing photos from a PC on the living room TV. I would expect when/if YouView begin work on DLNA they would start with the client side and deliver that first and deliver or consider server functionality at a later date. Whilst client functionality will not be enough for some it would be a good start when time permits and other higher priority bug fixes and features are in hand (based on YouView's assessment of priority not mine or the forum etc). For what it is worth (which is not much) DLNA client capability sits at about 8 in my personal wish list.
  • edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    I wasn't going to say more on this but in addition to Kip's excellent points, can I tag on the following:

Apple's iPad is the best selling tablet in the world, Apple also sells quite a lot of Macs and iPhones.

Collectively that's hundreds of millions of devices that support Airplay - a DLNA-like protocol that allows people to access films, music, photos and push content from their devices to their big screen TV with a simple £99 Apple TV box.

And yet despite having a simple name, despite being a complete doddle to use, despite being heavily pushed by the world's largest consumer tech brand, the Apple TV remains "a hobby" for Apple and sells in - for them - quite low numbers.

We, the sort of people who spend our time helping for free on an community support forum, see why it might be nice to have, understand how useful it can be and that it's possibly the way things will eventually move, but the majority really aren't all that fussed as yet.

That may change but it does need some smarts applied to the whole concept as Kip lists above.
  • edited 24 April 2013, 7:11PM
    Keith1 said:

Picking up on Jon's comments above about client functionality, I currently use DLNA client capabilites much more often (than server capabilities) for the purposes Jon states such as showing photos from a PC on the living room TV. I would expect when/if YouView begin work on DLNA they would start with the client side and deliver that first and deliver or consider server functionality at a later date. Whilst client functionality will not be enough for some it would be a good start when time permits and other higher priority bug fixes and features are in hand (based on YouView's assessment of priority not mine or the forum etc). For what it is worth (which is not much) DLNA client capability sits at about 8 in my personal wish list.

I think starting the way you suggest would be a great way to show the possibilities to 'the masses' and whet their appetites for more functionality.

Moving people along the tech tree is clearly an aim of the YouView project and this is one area where they can deliver on that.
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Member Posts: 105
    edited 20 November 2012, 10:14AM
    As much as I agree there is no point arguing with each on the benefits and advantages of having DLNA client/server solution implemented, I don't think we should give up pushing Youview.

Reading some of the recent comments I can still see the confusion between DLNA server and DLNA client. I really wish they had different names as when someone just says DLNA it could mean either.

The reality is they are 2 completely different software implementations.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 20 November 2012, 12:22PM
    I don't see how they can even start to think about DLNA until they sort of the hit and miss connectivity issue(s).
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 20 November 2012, 10:26AM
    Martin1 said:

For all this talk of YouView 'falling behind' I suspect most people have never heard of DLNA or think it's what detectives use to link murderers to crime scenes.

While sales are starting to increase, " rel="nofollow">Ofcom figures show that Smart TVs have just 5% of the market and not even all of them are connected to a network.

Pushing content from one device to another is pretty useful but it's not yet a majority activity.

There's plenty of time for YouView to add this without suffering any sales losses.

Most people I know who own a Smart TV, don't even know it can be connected to anything. I point it out to them and they are clueless that they can access catch up. However an increasing amount of my non-technical friends are now aware of Youview being able to do on demand and catchup in the living Room.

Personally I would prefer to get my 'Smart' facilities separate from my main TV i.e. set top box, as you could switch to a new interface for much less money. Also many of the Smart TV manufacturers have been criticised so far for not providing updates even when the catchup service changes something - some even stop working. I have much more faith that Youview will provide useful updates over time.
    edited 20 November 2012, 10:37AM

So some people buy smart TVs and don't connect them to the internet. Surely YouView is equally hobbled if not connected to the internet.

It's not much of a business plan charging a premium price and not sending out a premium product on the grounds that people wouldn't be interested in using the extra facilities.

Once you have used properly executed DLNA there is no going back. People may not know what it is now but they won't accept anything without it once they've seen what it can do.

I agree Martin, I think I had a better Idea of what Youview did as I entered the TRIAL, from simple reading on the topic, let alone the millions of reviews & specs available from simple google search now. And as for Youview being failed in a year - I feel this is unlikely. Talk Talk are apparently installing 1000 boxes a day. They and BT have made this their TV solution. And yet many on here also state they have bought the Retail version. It was clearly a very successful launch. Also as stated above by Chris Purkis, the vast majority will never even have heard or want some of the facilities being requested by some people on these boards. Some of these people simply need to understand that maybe Youview isn't aimed at them.
  • John WarnantsJohn Warnants Member Posts: 5
    edited 20 November 2012, 3:54PM
    One other little thought on this:

Who would have thought that we would have such a wide range of colour standard and increasingly HD broadcast material before the TV was invented.

Who would have thought that it would be so easy to manage recording and playback of multiple programs at the same time without juggling tapes or DVD's until decent PVRs were effectively developed marketed and sold

Who would have thought that iPlayer, On demand etc. would be used so much until they were effectively developed and marketed

Give this capability a decent name, fix a few technical issues and market it properly and this could be big :-)
  • Scalf AceScalf Ace Member Posts: 17
    edited 27 May 2014, 12:32PM
    I'd like to see it, so I could use NAS to back up my recordings then view it through YouView as if it were on the original HDD - if it works like that (I've never used DNLA before).

"Omni-tronic Viewerama" gets my vote.
  • Jason EvansJason Evans Member Posts: 2
    edited 25 March 2013, 7:06PM
    Need to add external hard disk support via usb. This would be really helpfull.
  • Mark James1Mark James1 Member Posts: 37
    edited 4 December 2012, 2:01PM

One of the best DLNA applications available for your computer.

http://www.serviio.org/

I currently use this with a Sony TV which has DLNA build it and also with a Sony Blueray player again which has DLNA support.

Can be used to steam music/video/photos from your home pc, but also with some new addins can be used to steam other online content.

+1 for Serviio
    edited 4 December 2012, 2:17PM

Just to be clear, having read this thread again it sounds as if the request is for 2 things:

1) DLNA Client (to access content on home PC's)
    2) DLNA server (to make the recorded programs available to other devices on the home network.)

I think it's good to separate them, so we are not disappointed if Youview only deliver one part of the solution and not both parts.

Absolutely; for me, the server part is priority 1 because TVs are increasingly supporting the controller/renderer side to varying extents and if you have a smartphone or tablet there are some tremendous solutions for the controller.

I know that won't work for everybody but totally agree it would be easier to split the task in two.
  • Carl AldertonCarl Alderton Member Posts: 19
    edited 9 March 2017, 11:54PM
    The YouView box with DNLA server capability would be hugely useful considering how many people have TV's with built in DNLA clients these days.
  • drhowellsdrhowells Member Posts: 634 ✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 5:21PM

The YouView box with DNLA server capability would be hugely useful considering how many people have TV's with built in DNLA clients these days.

Whilst I too would like DLNA capability, yes lots of TVs have DNLA built in, but how many know what it is or how to use it?
    edited 8 December 2012, 3:32PM

I think the more people that know it is there the more it will spread. I showed my Father his DLNA client on his Sony DVD player. He got the hang of it in about 5 mins after I set it up for him. Now it is his main way of getting music on his stereo, and he loves showing off his family photos on his big screen now. My Dad is retired & not very computer literate... so I'm sure a lot of people would find it useful with a simple explanatory guide. :)
    edited 8 December 2012, 3:33PM

Youview could even add a handy 'how to video' on their on demand content?
  • Carl AldertonCarl Alderton Member Posts: 19
    edited 11 December 2012, 11:29AM

Yes Matt I agree, pretty simple really. Not rocket science, even my folks would be able to use it I'm sure.
  • Matthew BaileyMatthew Bailey Member Posts: 105
    edited 11 December 2012, 11:55AM

I've setup my computer (and also my parents computer) with http://www.serviio.org/ running on it, which makes all this photos/video/music available. A very simple program to install and setup, then you forget about it running and it does its stuff in the background.

Sony have really bought into the idea of DLNA and have created their own version of Serviio which is branded Homestream:
    http://www.sony.co.uk/homestream

I have a Sony Blueray player which includes a DNLA client, which I can access the content on my computer.

My parents have a newer Sony TV which has the DNLA client built in and it is very easy to use.
  • iSPYiSPY Member Posts: 166
    edited 11 December 2012, 12:10PM

Samsung's version of DLNA is called All Share, if you have a Windows 7 PC that has file sharing ability built in there is no need to install any extra server software. In theory DLNA as a platform should operate uniformally across all enabled devices no matter who's product it is but in reallity its quite different, some manufacturers devices don't "see" others on the Network,
  • IvanIvan Member Posts: 1
    edited 21 December 2012, 12:04PM
    no extra media player like AppleTV, home-made Raspberry Pi media center or similar... this is also my number 1 request...

also, no need for HDMI switch if your TV only has one HDMI input :)
    edited 6 January 2013, 1:30PM

Another issue is codecs and containers; there are so many variations; some my TV plays, others I fire up the blu-ray deck, others still aren't supported at all. Even more bizarre is I have some material my blu-ray deck won't play via DLNA but will play via a second method of network configuration it supports.

But it seems to be improving all the time.
    edited 6 January 2013, 1:32PM

I also find both my phone and tablet are much easier ways of choosing from a large collection of videos and especially music, than using the menu system on my particular Samsung TV
  • MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 January 2013, 2:43PM
    DLNA is essential to make this unit worth buying. I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT720 Freeview HD recorder that acts both as a client and renderer. It also allows streaming of HD content to another DMR-BWT720 or to a dedicated App on my iPad. This would be the feature I need to make me part with my money! It then makes the box a media hub in your home.
  • MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 5
    edited 6 January 2013, 2:47PM

Using a DLNA control point App is the best way to operate devices that support this function. (Such as Linn Kinsky App - http://oss.linn.co.uk/trac/wiki/Kinsky )