Display the synopsis for a programme highlighted in the guide without pressing the info button

KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM in Feedback
*** Summarised idea from trials process ***

When browsing the guide you may often want to know more about a programme than its title. Whilst you can access further information via the info button having to press that and then back out of it each time can be slow and tedious.

Simply adding an information box in the guide, say to the left of the mini-picture, showing more programme details of the currently highlighted item would improve browsing of the guide and reduce the number of times you may need to press the info button to find out a little more about the item.

Comments

• bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    This is very sensible suggestion and I think it's how many other boxes work. I agree it's unnecessarily cumbersome repeatedly hitting Info.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 22 September 2012, 6:53PM
    What happened to my post about pressing OK to get the info which does not need you to back out of it to move to the next item in the list?
  • tracestraces Member Posts: 199
    edited 24 November 2016, 8:25PM
    gomez think that was this thread
    edited 22 September 2012, 7:06PM
    'orrible forum software 1 gomez 0 :(
  • petkolpetkol Member Posts: 213
    edited 14 April 2017, 6:24PM
    Good idea - reducing clicks saves time, wear on the remote, and makes for faster guide browsing.
  • KeithKeith Member, Super User Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 March 2017, 10:29AM
    For those following this topic, the software update scheduled for today (30/10/2012) is now out (although your box may not automatically update until tonight but you can try a manual update if keen).

The update contains various improvements including a minor adjustment to the info shown at the top of the guide relating to the highlighted programme. That info now includes the duration of the programme so maybe in the future they will extend it further along the lines of the suggestions in this topic.
  • Andy12Andy12 Member Posts: 5
    edited 17 November 2012, 2:03AM
    +1 from me, good idea.
  • edited 8 January 2015, 4:53PM
    The line of information, just above the main grid, which provides the highlighted programme's times, it's title and the "TO WATCH, PRESS OK" message is not necessary - this can be part of the programme synopsis as suggested above.

Personally I don't think we need the message "TO WATCH, PRESS OK" or "NOT AVAILABLE".
    All that is needed is an error message which pops up if you click "OK" and the programme is not available.
    ("Available" programmes are displayed more brightly than the "Not available". This is quite clear and is all that is necessary.)
  • Andrew McloughlinAndrew Mcloughlin Member Posts: 12
    edited 29 December 2012, 7:05PM
    This is an essential feature of an EPG. Since program titles are often truncated it's impossible to know what they are without further information. Some PVRs find space in include a full program description by using the screen real estate cleverly. YouView should go down this route and not offer a partial solution with a truncated description. It can't be that hard!
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 507 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    +1 this is one of my big gripes about YouView. Having to press the i button on YouView to view the programme information is a real PIA.

My Topfield with MyStuff EPG displays the full programme title in the EPG grid (it wraps the text over two lines) and with clever use of screen real estate also shows the full programme description above the EPG grid.
  • Andrew McloughlinAndrew Mcloughlin Member Posts: 12
    I've given up on YouView and gone back to my Topfield and MyStuff. There's just too much wrong with YouView that I can't see them fixing in the near future.

I've given up on YouView and gone back to my Topfield and MyStuff. There's just too much wrong with YouView that I can't see them fixing in the near future.

I haven't given up on YouView completely but I agree there are way too many problems with it at the moment. My Topfield is still my primary PVR and I only use the YV box sporadically for HD recording and catch-up but even that is problematic what with the audio crackle problem, constant on-demand buffering and clipped recordings.

It's a shame because there is a lot to like about YouView and I still think the concept is a winner but I didn't pay the best part of £300 to be a beta tester for an unfinished product.
  • billmarsbillmars Member Posts: 40
    I really can't understand why, with so much spare unused space on the EPG screen, it has been deemed necessary to have to use the 'i' button to access programme details. As others have said, it is quite possible to have all information on the EPG screen without any extra button presses, just like the Topfield has with MyStuff. There are far too many key presses needed by YouView to access information and operations. It's almost as if the designers have been told, 'we have all these buttons, make the user use them as many times as possible'!
    edited 26 January 2013, 9:15PM
    billmars said:

I really can't understand why, with so much spare unused space on the EPG screen, it has been deemed necessary to have to use the 'i' button to access programme details. As others have said, it is quite possible to have all information on the EPG screen without any extra button presses, just like the Topfield has with MyStuff. There are far too many key presses needed by YouView to access information and operations. It's almost as if the designers have been told, 'we have all these buttons, make the user use them as many times as possible'!

Perhaps Logitech (Harmony) are a secret stake-holder? ;)
    billmars said:

>> It's almost as if the designers have been told, 'we have all these buttons, make the user use them as many times as possible'!

I agree although ironically it's missing the one button that you would think would be first on the list requirements for a PVR namely a button to access the recordings archive.
  • billmarsbillmars Member Posts: 40
    edited 27 January 2013, 11:10AM
    billmars said:

Ah, but don't you see, if that button was there it defeats the whole ethos of the multi button design! But I quite agree. What on earth made them think that a dedicated button to access the recordings on a PVR wasn't a good idea?
    But on reflection, maybe the makers of the remote gave them that button (the blue 'Y' button), but they simply chose not to use it. (Please refer back to the designers' brief.)
    edited 27 January 2013, 12:59PM
    billmars said:

That remote control started life with a Menu button before it was tweaked to change it to the Youview button.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    There isn't that much space on the EPG to display this information, though, is there? Is pressing a single button for more information really that much of a hardship? Certainly the info which is displayed would never fit on the EPG screen. I can't really see that it's a problem the way it is.
    stuart621 said:

There isn't that much space on the EPG to display this information, though, is there? Is pressing a single button for more information really that much of a hardship? Certainly the info which is displayed would never fit on the EPG screen. I can't really see that it's a problem the way it is.

It's not a hardship but it is a pain in the a**e, especially when it could so easily be fixed. There would easily be enough space if the EPG screen real estate was used wisely.

Perhaps you have not used a PVR that displays the programme synopsis in the EPG and recordings archive but it really does make a tremendous difference. Personally I think it's a no brainer.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM
    stuart621 said:

+1 TomW - should be easy to implement if designed well. Just means optimising space.
    edited 30 January 2013, 6:32PM
    stuart621 said:

I have used a PVR with the info displayed but it's not something I particularly miss. People are complaining about the size of the EPG so squeezing extra information onto the screen would make things worse.

As I said, I don't have a problem with pressing the info button but if they can rejig the whole EPG to accommodate the information and still make it useable, then fair enough. Not something I'm bothered about either way, really.
    stuart621 said:

I think the size of the EPG is generally ok although the individual components are perhaps a bit too big and could be made more compact to allow more channels to be displayed. They could also make use of the wasted space to the left of the EPG grid and wrap the programme title over two lines in each grid square so that long titles aren't truncated even in relatively small grid squares.

There is a balance to be struck between elegance and density of information, of course, but they could certainly fit a lot more information into the EPG and MyView screens. Personally I prefer to see everything at a glance because it's annoying having to press the i button every time I want to see the programme synopsis, especially as the YouView EPG is quite sluggish at the best of times.

The MyStuff EPG on the Topfield is a good example of a well designed albeit somewhat utilitarian EPG, it's not particularly pretty but all the information you could want is on the main screen and it's lighting quick too - http://www.picvalley.net/v.php?p=u/17...
  • edited 25 April 2013, 7:34AM
    stuart621 said:

As you say, not at all pretty. I much prefer YouView's modern looking EPG.
    edited 30 January 2013, 9:36PM
    stuart621 said:

Agreed. That is very cluttered to my eye.
    stuart621 said:

Doesn't even seem to avoid truncating the programme titles, surely it should be Planet's Funniest [something] ? Is that really the Grand Prix's full title? Why the ... If it is?
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 4 May 2017, 12:39AM
    This forum represents a diversity of users, none of whom have the 'right' answer on most suggested features, just an opinion (which all are entitled to).
    There is no doubt that a programme description could be provided without unduly compromising the overall clarity of the display, with minor changes to layout. However, I respect those who seem to be vehemently against it. Perhaps, as has been suggested for other features, it could be a user setting, so those who don't want to see it can switch it off.
    I also think that it could be truncated to 2 lines, so that it was easily readable, and would still allow the i-button if you wished to see more. This feature would also satisfy those forum members complaining about the need for too many button presses to achieve what they want. The information is available, why not display it?
    stuart621 said:

I suppose it depends whether you want style over function and reliability. The Topfield is long in the tooth, for sure, but if I had to choose I'd take it all day long over YouView and that seems to be consensus of others who have used both.

>> Doesn't even seem to avoid truncating the programme titles, surely it should be Planet's Funniest [something] ? Is that really the Grand Prix's full title? Why the ... If it is?

Bear in mind the example is 4:3 but it can be switched to 16:9 widescreen, and in all likelihood would be 16:9, which obviously offers a lot more horizontal space. Truncation would probably be worse on YouView since it only uses one line instead of wrapping over two, however, even when wrapping the text there is a limit to how much can fit in one grid square. Titles are as provided by the broadcaster, if there is room in the grid square it won't truncate, can only assume the F1 title was uber long or some other anomaly. Like many things in MyStuff the EPG can be customized to your preference, shorter time span = bigger grid squares = more room for text.

This forum represents a diversity of users, none of whom have the 'right' answer on most suggested features, just an opinion (which all are entitled to).
    There is no doubt that a programme description could be provided without unduly compromising the overall clarity of the display, with minor changes to layout. However, I respect those who seem to be vehemently against it. Perhaps, as has been suggested for other features, it could be a user setting, so those who don't want to see it can switch it off.
    I also think that it could be truncated to 2 lines, so that it was easily readable, and would still allow the i-button if you wished to see more. This feature would also satisfy those forum members complaining about the need for too many button presses to achieve what they want. The information is available, why not display it?

+1 well said.
    stuart621 said:

>> I suppose it depends whether you want style over function and reliability.

My YouView box functions just fine and has been 100% reliable since it was first plugged in last July.

>> The Topfield is long in the tooth, for sure, but if I had to choose I'd take it all day long over YouView and that seems to be consensus of others who have used both.

Brilliant, those who prefer the Topfield are of course free to carry on using it over those boxes they find inferior. For my part I'd never touch Virgin's TiVo because it's a pile of poop whereas I recommend YouView to as many folk as I can because it works exactly as I'd like and expect.