Screen has a purple / magenta tint

TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM in Archived Posts
Sometimes when I boot up my YouView box everything on screen has a bright purple / magenta tint. A soft re-boot fixes the problem although on one occasion I have had to turn off and on again using the rocker switch on the back. This is now happening more and more often. The other inputs to my TV (Xbox, Topfield, Bluray, TV Tuner) are fine.

Humax DTR-T1000 1Gb > HDMI > Panasonic TV

Comments

• RottyRotty Member Posts: 107
    edited 17 January 2017, 7:15PM
    Yup. I get this too on the Panasonic TV via HDMI. Always when the box hasn't been used for more than a few hours and taking out of standby I get this, accompanied by no sound.

I find that just putting it back into standby and then almost immediately back on again cures the issue. Seems to be a handshaking fault with the TV, or the HDMI bit in the YV box not coming out of standby properly.

A bit of a niggle but not life-changing, though it would be nice to get it resolved. Just as an aside, I get an issue with my (supposedly 100% compatible to the TV) Panasonic Home Theatre system where sometimes the Audio Return Channel just fails to initialise correctly, and I either get sound out of both the TV and the DVD speakers (weird and echoey) or it just won't switch to the DVD speakers even though it says it has, and I then have to reboot the DVD.

Not sure HDMI is all it's cracked up to be....
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 26 January 2013, 3:56PM
    I've had this once or twice with an HDMI connection to a Panasonic TV. I also find that putting it back into standby and then almost immediately back on again cures it. Fingers crossed.
  • John WebbJohn Webb Member Posts: 83
    edited 26 January 2013, 6:01PM
    I have tried all such tricks, no good in my case.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    Switching HDMI source on the TV is a quicker way of forcing handshaking.
  • TomWTomW Member Posts: 508 ✭✭
    edited 27 November 2016, 7:35PM
    gomez said:

Thanks for the tip I'll give that a try when it next happens.
    edited 27 January 2013, 8:32AM
    gomez said:

I have obviously tried that as well to no effect. There is a fault and it is not being recognised by Youview/Humax.
    edited 27 January 2013, 10:59AM
    gomez said:

@John Have you tried the HDMI splitter box trick? Agreed, this is not to deny the fault but only to find a workaround until it is fixed.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 27 January 2013, 1:20PM
    "Switching HDMI source on the TV is a quicker way of forcing handshaking."

Thanks Gomez, that worked for me.
    edited 27 January 2013, 1:36PM
    gomez said:

No and it is a good idea. Have to check it works 1080p as it would be silly to go to 720 when the boxes each side support 1080p. Rather the problem was sorted and I saved the money!
    edited 27 January 2013, 1:51PM
    gomez said:

It might be that the splitter box trick works by *not* supporting 1080p but forcing the Youview box and TV to agree on 720p or 1080i?
  • futwickfutwick Member Posts: 1
    edited 8 February 2014, 8:55PM
    Just encountered this problem with my Samsung telly via HDMI 1080p. The box was recording something at the time. Took a few HDMI source changes and soft on-offs of the box to break out of it. Before the first appearance of the purple tint the TV was reporting "no signal detected".
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 13 April 2014, 3:08PM
    The magenta tint is actually "minus green" - if you know the colour wheel for light you know what I mean. This handshaking problem seems to have become more common since the June update.
  • stormystormy Member Posts: 1,026 ✭✭
    edited 3 March 2017, 6:12PM
    I get this too, also with a Panasonic TV but only rarely and once the machine has booted up the magenta tint goes. I only see it on the Youview initialisation screen.
  • mark de vosmark de vos Member Posts: 1
    edited 2 September 2014, 10:43PM
    Rotty said:

Yup. I get this too on the Panasonic TV via HDMI. Always when the box hasn't been used for more than a few hours and taking out of standby I get this, accompanied by no sound.

I find that just putting it back into standby and then almost immediately back on again cures the issue. Seems to be a handshaking fault with the TV, or the HDMI bit in the YV box not coming out of standby properly.

A bit of a niggle but not life-changing, though it would be nice to get it resolved. Just as an aside, I get an issue with my (supposedly 100% compatible to the TV) Panasonic Home Theatre system where sometimes the Audio Return Channel just fails to initialise correctly, and I either get sound out of both the TV and the DVD speakers (weird and echoey) or it just won't switch to the DVD speakers even though it says it has, and I then have to reboot the DVD.

Not sure HDMI is all it's cracked up to be....

To fix this, go to service menu and bottom. tab ADC/WB  open it
    HDMI calibration test it and fixed :-) that did it for me.
    enter samsung service menu press quick info, menu, mute, power button.
    u.w
  • KateThatchamKateThatcham Member Posts: 53
    edited 2 September 2014, 10:44PM
    stormy said:

I get this too, also with a Panasonic TV but only rarely and once the machine has booted up the magenta tint goes. I only see it on the Youview initialisation screen.

Me too with my Panasonic, Stormy.
  • Andy10Andy10 Member Posts: 24
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:36AM
    Until recently I've not had this issue with my 4 BT supplied Humax T1000's (using SCART with old CRT TV, and recently with a newer Samsung HDMI 1080p LED LCD TV) - I think this period covers well over a year.

However, now on my 5th BT supplied box after being upgraded to the BT T2100 G4 box in the hope of better reliability, I now have this issue.

This is true of the connected red button update and the one before it (17.x for G4). For me, it is intermittent, and happens around 1 in 10 power ups. It has been overcome without fail if power cycled with TV remaining on. When the pink / purple tint does occur, I also have a loss of sound as well.

Looking forward to an update that will address this fault, but for now it's only a hindrance for me rather than a show stopper.
  • SanjSanj Member Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 December 2016, 7:56PM
    Andy10 said:

Until recently I've not had this issue with my 4 BT supplied Humax T1000's (using SCART with old CRT TV, and recently with a newer Samsung HDMI 1080p LED LCD TV) - I think this period covers well over a year.

However, now on my 5th BT supplied box after being upgraded to the BT T2100 G4 box in the hope of better reliability, I now have this issue.

This is true of the connected red button update and the one before it (17.x for G4). For me, it is intermittent, and happens around 1 in 10 power ups. It has been overcome without fail if power cycled with TV remaining on. When the pink / purple tint does occur, I also have a loss of sound as well.

Looking forward to an update that will address this fault, but for now it's only a hindrance for me rather than a show stopper.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing that issue Andy. This sounds like it could be a HDMI handshaking issue. Have you tried using another HDMI cable?
    edited 29 October 2014, 11:08PM
    Andy10 said:

Hi Sanj,

Thanks for replying. It does sound like there's a handshaking issue with the bt youview box.

I've 2 pieces of HDMI equipment and 3 HDMI cables. I've tried all combinations in various HDMI inputs on the TV and it only happens with the youview box irrespective of other control factors, although it never happened with all previous humax boxes, just this bt box, which further proves out the cables and TV.

The fact it happens in about 1 in 10 power ups with fully and correctly mated cables points to the youview box rather than my setup. The setup is never moved or in a position that is easily nudged or knocked.

I can't say for sure that it's the youview box, but all things I do points toward it.

Cheers
    Andy
    Andy10 said:

Thanks for the feedback Andy. Sounds like you've covered all angles here. This is something that we are already investigating but this issue has been difficult to reproduce. If you could let me know the following, I'll feed this back to our Tech Teams to help them with their investigation:
    • Make/Model of the box (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    • Software versions (Settings > System Information > Software Versions)
    • Make/Model of your TV (See User Manual or back of TV)
    In meantime power cycling your box or sometimes just changing the HDMI source channel away then back again should resolve the issue. I'll look to this thread when I have more information to share on this. 
    edited 31 October 2014, 8:46AM
    Andy10 said:

Box hardware..
    Humax DTRT2100
    (Issue did not happen with any of my 4 previous Humax DTRT1000 boxes)

Box software...
    (Issue occured using previous BT released software as well)

TV hardware...
    Samsung UE40F6740SB

TV software...
    Andy10 said:

Thanks Andy. I'll send this over to our tech teams. 
  • KVBKVB Member Posts: 4
    edited 27 November 2014, 3:41PM
    Andy10 said:

Hi Sanj

I am getting the same problem since the latest S/W download on 20th November.
    My box s/w config is :

It worked perfectly without any glitches for the last 12 months. Issues only started after 20th November.

My TV is a Panasonic. TX-L42E3B.

I have good quality short (1metre) HDMI cables and have swapped.
    Surely this is highly likely to be a defect in the latest S/W download.
    Andy10 said:

Correction my box s/w config is 2.8.18
    Andy10 said:

Hi KVB,

Thanks for the correction. We've had reports of this prior to the latest software update, so the two may not be related, this is still to be determined. I will feed this back to our tech team also. 

Could you also let me know what your box's make and model is (Settings > System Information > Device Information)
    Andy10 said:

Hi Sanj

Thanks for the quick response.
    This is a BT branded as part fo my BT Broadband and TV package.
    Humax
    DTRT1000
    Variant: 80B08500
    Serial: +067002+1314001188
    Ident:  DCD321  - DTRT1000 -07012E86

Problem definitely didn't occur before 20th November.
    Andy10 said:

Thanks again.

Is this issue permanent for you, or like Andy are you able to temporarily resolve the issue by power cycling the box? 
    Andy10 said:

Hi Sanj

Yes it takes a few attempts of switching HDMI input connectivity to the TV, and sometimes doing a full power down and restart. I can connect after 2 or 3 minutes of trying. 
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    Andy10 said:

HI KVB, as you can see from earlier in this thread and from the related conversations listed alongside, this issue has been observed pretty much ever since YouView boxes first arrived on the scene. I have had it myself, sometimes two or three times in one week, then no problem for months, then it appears again and goes away again. No rhyme, nor reason and certainly not related in any way I have been able to pinpoint to the many software updates I have had in the 2 and a bit years since I have had my box. Mildly irritating when it happens, but putting either the box, or the TV back into standby and on again sorts it out.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Without wishing to make light of the subject, the word "purple" put me in mind of a particular song. So,  by way of distraction from this HDMI annoyance, please allow me to share  what I consider to be an all-time great guitar performance.