Automatic software update February 2013

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Funny that the Digital Stream PVR can do it then. They deal with copying issues by encoding the material such that it can only be played back on that or another DS, but from what you say, this doesn't deal with the copyright issue.

Which, if there was one, would require all PVRs to set a time limit on how long you could keep a recording, just like BBC iPlayer downloads on a PC.

And as this shows such a limit is perfectly technically feasible, how do you explain that no PVR does this?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    There is no technical or legal block. Only the interests of the parties involved.
  • edited 23 February 2013, 6:36PM
    [removed] said:

I'm sorry but everybody knows about copyright laws and everybody keeps recordings regardless, therefore it is irrelevent to this Forum to be constantly reminded about something that the majority of people ignore.

Martin it is not personal but it would be more useful if you answered people's problems without sounding like the solicitor general.

The feature would be really useful, but I don't see the broadcasters who co-own YouView allowing it to be added, and i explained why. Nothing to do with trying to sound like a solicitor, merely an expression of an opinion.

If the rampant and repeated rudeness, baiting and attempts to twist and blatantly lie about what I said aren't personal there must be some other reason that you today:

a) intervened in another thread with a sarky remark about me while providing no assistance at all to the OP: http://community.youview.com/youview/...

b) leapt on someone else called Martin, a poster making their very first post here, with a really rude and unhelpful response: http://community.youview.com/youview/...

You really do display all the signs of having a rather unhealthy obsession with me.
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 5:49PM
    [removed] said:

I'm sorry but everybody knows about copyright laws and everybody keeps recordings regardless, therefore it is irrelevent to this Forum to be constantly reminded about something that the majority of people ignore.

Martin it is not personal but it would be more useful if you answered people's problems without sounding like the solicitor general.

I was not being rude just querying why a question about a Freesat box was asked, and to be honest I didn't notice the OP's name.
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Personally, I can't see why in connection with copyright law, apart from the impossibility of enforcing it in this context, USB storage is being defined as long term and the YouView box as not. We all know the the box can be a bit flaky but surely the legislators didn't when the relevant law was implemented.
  • Lbear2Lbear2 Member Posts: 55
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Is there a schedule for the phased release? Mine was a new retail boxed replacement in early January and it still has not been updated - and will not manually. I know with earlier updates, the BT boxes were usually in a second tranche (presumably to allow further testing in case of clashes with the BT apps).
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Also, in the copyright context, my Panasonic allows unlimited copying to DVD for a standard definition programme and only one copy for a HD programme. So Panasonic at least don't see any copyright issues in archiving per se.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:56PM
    Lbear2 said:

Is there a schedule for the phased release? Mine was a new retail boxed replacement in early January and it still has not been updated - and will not manually. I know with earlier updates, the BT boxes were usually in a second tranche (presumably to allow further testing in case of clashes with the BT apps).

The announcements never say more than "over the next couple of weeks."

On a previous occasion I had to wait a number of days, I cannot recall exactly how many now. It is just question of being patient. There is nothing particularly mission-critical this time around.
  • edited 23 February 2013, 7:12PM
    Cicero said:

Personally, I can't see why in connection with copyright law, apart from the impossibility of enforcing it in this context, USB storage is being defined as long term and the YouView box as not. We all know the the box can be a bit flaky but surely the legislators didn't when the relevant law was implemented.

At the risk of Andy again accusing me of thinking those wanting a feature I'd find useful and welcome are "evil" please allow me to elaborate on my earlier post.

Copyright law has a provision allowing recordings as follows:

"The making [F2 in domestic premises] for private and domestic use of a recording of a broadcast F3. . . solely for the purpose of enabling it to be viewed or listened to at a more convenient time does not infringe any copyright in the broadcast"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1...

but the IPO claims:

"This time-shifting exception does not however cover the making of recordings for placing in a collection for repeated viewing or listening. The making of a recording for purposes other than to time-shift a programme for your or your family is likely to be illegal."

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/copy/c-ot...

Offloading content to a USB drive potentially allows for longterm storage and repeated use in the way a capacity limited set top box doesn't - if you want to keep recording on any PVR you need eventually to delete content.

But my earlier mention of copyright was merely in support of my personal views on why the four big content owners who happen to be shareholders of YouView might not allow outputting to USB.

Another is that content owners make money from selling adverts around initial and repeat showings of programmes and/or releasing them DVD and selling them to archive channels and streaming services such as netflix.

Therefore the YouVIew shareholders have a vested interest in not allowing any method for us users keeping recordings if doing so would limit their potential for future commercial exploitation of that content.

None of which means I wouldn't like the ability to offload my recordings, and indeed settings and series links, to a USB in case I ended up having to reset o return my box.
  • edited 23 February 2013, 7:14PM
    Cicero said:

Also, in the copyright context, my Panasonic allows unlimited copying to DVD for a standard definition programme and only one copy for a HD programme. So Panasonic at least don't see any copyright issues in archiving per se.

Panasonic of course aren't content owners who are the forces who ultimately restrict what we do with media - such DRM - and where and when we access it - see the numerous complaints about certain content missing from the catch-up players.

As someone said above, it's about vested interests.
  • MartinNMartinN Member Posts: 9
    edited 23 February 2013, 9:18PM
    Why are Talktalk Users using a Huawai box still on 1.26. When your update release is 1.34 for Humax boxes. The update screen says software up-to-date. Has their been any move forward to enable boosts to be turned on and off from boxes.
    edited 28 February 2017, 3:05PM
    Hi MartinN,

You seem to be looking at the Component software details, rather than the Manufacturer ones. In any event, these are all different on the TalkTalk Huawei box, the illustration at the beginning of this thread relates to retail Humax boxes only.

Not sure what you mean about turning boosts on and off, this can already be done via your TalkTalk box.
  • BigastromanBigastroman Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 February 2013, 8:02AM
    [removed] said:

I agree Geraint but Martin is forever lecturing about the evils of keeping a recording. It is really becoming boring now.

If you want to keep a recording why not put it on a disk ?
  • BigastromanBigastroman Member Posts: 2
    edited 24 February 2013, 8:04AM
    [removed] said:

>> As UK copyright law doesn't allow for longterm storage of recordings, and YouView is part-owned by 4 of the UK's biggest broadcasters and content owners who have a vested interested in not extending viewers' rights beyond what the law allows, my personal suspicion is this is a feature we're unlikely to see added.

Martin, I am sick of reading you banging on about UK copyright law. Exactly how lon is one allowed to keep a recording for? Also who gives a **** about Uk copyright law aqpart from you?

Why not make a copy of anything that u may want to keep.
  • edited 24 February 2013, 8:52AM
    [removed] said:

I agree Geraint but Martin is forever lecturing about the evils of keeping a recording. It is really becoming boring now.

Not everyone has a DVD recorder.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 24 February 2013, 10:39AM
    [removed] said:

Not everyone has an external USB hard drive or other storage device so that is not a valid argument.
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 24 February 2013, 10:43AM
    After installing the Feb 2013 update, I found I had to power cycle the box before OnDemand and the backwards EPG would work.
  • MartinNMartinN Member Posts: 9
    edited 24 February 2013, 11:40AM
    redchiz said:

Hi MartinN,

You seem to be looking at the Component software details, rather than the Manufacturer ones. In any event, these are all different on the TalkTalk Huawei box, the illustration at the beginning of this thread relates to retail Humax boxes only.

Not sure what you mean about turning boosts on and off, this can already be done via your TalkTalk box.

It is my understanding that you can only turn a boost on and have to phone up to cancel it.
  • Ursula OsborneUrsula Osborne Member Posts: 1
    edited 24 February 2013, 2:56PM
    Hi

Sorry, not really concerned about the above. However, I have noticed that my Humax is going slower and slower; it seems to take an absolute age to do anything.

I delete recordings all the time, I like to keep it around the 70 per cent level, and it has never posed a problem in the past.

Any suggestions please.

Kind Regards
    Ursula
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    gomez said:

There is no technical or legal block. Only the interests of the parties involved.

But two postings above, you suggested that there was a legal issue. Make your mind up!
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    [removed] said:

And YouView can't write to one, so strike three :-(
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 24 February 2013, 1:55PM

Hi

Sorry, not really concerned about the above. However, I have noticed that my Humax is going slower and slower; it seems to take an absolute age to do anything.

I delete recordings all the time, I like to keep it around the 70 per cent level, and it has never posed a problem in the past.

Any suggestions please.

Kind Regards
    Ursula

Have you tried resetting it by pressing the large button in the middle on the front of the box? I never delete anything (the box manages to do that when it needs to) and haven't noticed any difference in speed on my Humax box since the update so maybe yours just needs a proper reboot to sort it out. It's worth a try, anyway. :)
  • Lbear2Lbear2 Member Posts: 55
    edited 24 February 2013, 2:56PM

Hi

Any suggestions please.

Kind Regards
    Ursula

I would suggest a "hard" reboot by turning off using the remote (only do this when you are not recording in the background so the hard drive is not spinning). Then turn the power off using the rear switch. Wait a few seconds (10-20 say) and power back up. This will make the unit completely power down and clear any volatile memory (I have a suspicion this slowing down may be a result of one of these memory locations filling and not clearing down in normal use.)

The last update has nothing to do with this problem (unless it solves it or makes it worse!). I am still on the previous version and experience it. I have recently taken to doing the above hard boot about once a week and not had repeats of some of the other manifestations like sticking skip forwards and fast forward keys.
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited 2 March 2017, 12:43PM
    I was one of the original triallists and usually receive the software updates as soon as they're available.
    Not this time though.
    Even if I attempt a manual update, the screen says that I have the most up to date software (the January 8th one).
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Member Posts: 315
    edited 25 February 2013, 9:32AM
    "New software for the YouView Humax box is now available and will be rolled out across all Retail and BT boxes over the next couple of weeks."

YouView, can you explain us why you need a 'couple of weeks' to update just thousands of boxes when almost all computer companies update multiple millions of computers or smartphones in a few days at most?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2017, 2:39PM
    sarumbear 1 hour ago
    "New software for the YouView Humax box is now available and will be rolled out across all Retail and BT boxes over the next couple of weeks."

YouView, can you explain us why you need a 'couple of weeks' to update just thousands of boxes when almost all computer companies update multiple millions of computers or smartphones in a few days at most?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't you negative? Like, always. Geesh.

Have a minus point.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Member Posts: 315
    edited 25 February 2013, 1:43AM
    since when you answer on behalf of YouView?
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

Hi MartinN,

Ah, got you now. You can add a TV Boost via the box, or using your online account. The advantage of adding it via the box is that it should become available more or less instantly. You have to login to your online account to remove it and allow 24 hours for it to take effect. Official help page here: http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/tv/how-do...
  • woodsmanukwoodsmanuk Member Posts: 34
    edited 25 February 2013, 9:32AM

+1
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 25 February 2013, 10:36AM
    Visionman, I hope you're not suggesting that YV users have some kind of obligation to be "positive" about Youview?

That would be rather odd.