Automatic software update February 2013

Comments

• gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Kaffee: *I want the truth!*
    Col. Jessep: *You can't handle the truth!*
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    My replacement box didn't update yet. I guess now I don't have a trial box I have to wait.
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 25 February 2013, 11:26AM
    al said:

My replacement box didn't update yet. I guess now I don't have a trial box I have to wait.

Al - no, it's not that. I also had a trial box, and it seemed to be one of the last to receive the January update. Shortly afterwards it died and was replaced. Then when the February update was announced, my replacement box received it very quickly.

So it appears trial boxes don't receive updates sooner.
  • Chris_ThatcherChris_Thatcher Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited 18 December 2016, 10:33AM
    al said:

I have a trial box, but have not yet received the February update (even by trying manual update this morning).

Chris.
  • John WebbJohn Webb Member Posts: 83
    edited 25 February 2013, 11:30AM
    Visionman said:

sarumbear 1 hour ago
    "New software for the YouView Humax box is now available and will be rolled out across all Retail and BT boxes over the next couple of weeks."

YouView, can you explain us why you need a 'couple of weeks' to update just thousands of boxes when almost all computer companies update multiple millions of computers or smartphones in a few days at most?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't you negative? Like, always. Geesh.

Have a minus point.

push rather than pull?
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 25 February 2013, 11:44AM
    gomez said:

:-)
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    al said:

Thanks guys, I always used to get them as soon as they were announced, maybe I was just lucky then.
  • bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 25 February 2013, 12:33PM
    al said:

Same here. My trial box received previous releases immediately, but I'm still waiting patiently for this one
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 25 February 2013, 12:40PM
    al said:

I agree with Aisha, same experience.
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Member Posts: 315
    edited 25 February 2013, 12:43PM
    Visionman said:

sarumbear 1 hour ago
    "New software for the YouView Humax box is now available and will be rolled out across all Retail and BT boxes over the next couple of weeks."

YouView, can you explain us why you need a 'couple of weeks' to update just thousands of boxes when almost all computer companies update multiple millions of computers or smartphones in a few days at most?

Have a minus point.

Isn't force update a pull?
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    gomez said:

*Not Kevin Bacon
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Hi Tanja,

Confused about the new update.

System Information shows Last Updated 20th Feb 2013.
    However
    Manufacturer Software ..................... (that's right - it is a blank line)
    Component Software is 1.2.6
    Platform Configuration is 312
    ISP Configuration 1

Under Device Management my box shows 8 menu items.
    The 2nd item - Software Update shows Last Updated 20th Feb 2013 (...today)
    There is no item, as suggested, for 'Delete Recordings Confirmation'.

Any ideas?

Update on my weird update issue:
    Box has incremented the Last Updated field daily since last week, and is now reading today - 25th February.
    All other info is as before - (post immediately above)
    No setting to switch on delete confirmation in Device Management.
    No reply from Humax.
    No further advice or help from YouView.
  • BrbBrb Member Posts: 65
    edited 25 February 2013, 2:22PM
    al said:

I was on the trial. Still have the same box. No update as yet :)
  • Lbear2Lbear2 Member Posts: 55
    edited 25 February 2013, 4:07PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

The box will have logged on to the Youview servers about 3am and this is why your 'Last Updated' field has incremented. Obviously the serial/ID number of your box is not yet within the range that they have released the update to so it will have "been told" that it has the latest software.
  • churchwardenchurchwarden Member Posts: 795
    edited 2 December 2016, 8:27PM

Hi Tanja,

However
    ISP Configuration 1

Any ideas?

So Lbear. No problem in your opinion?
    The facts that the Last Updated field has only EVER previously altered on the day when an update HAS been installed to my knowledge, and also the fact that the Manufacturer Software field is showing a blank, means that everything is normal, and I just have to wait?
  • John WebbJohn Webb Member Posts: 83
    edited 25 February 2013, 4:29PM
    Visionman said:

sarumbear 1 hour ago

Have a minus point.

the actual software is being pushed unlike you going to Microsoft to pull them?
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 5:49PM
    Visionman said:

sarumbear 1 hour ago

Have a minus point.

I was an original trialist, I have had all updates immediately except the January one which I received some 10 days later. Got the February one straight away though. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2017, 4:57PM
    The update was released on 19 February. The very first sentence of the announcement states: "New software for the YouView Humax box is now available and will be rolled out across all Retail and BT boxes over the next couple of weeks."

How hard is that to understand?
  • sarumbear1sarumbear1 Member Posts: 315
    edited 25 February 2013, 5:41PM
    Visionman said:

sarumbear 1 hour ago

Have a minus point.

Maybe just semantics, but the software is in fact still pulled. What happens is the box periodically connects to a central server and checks for a download flag. If the flag is set then the box downloads and installs the new software.

On push, there is no need for periodical checks. The device and the server is always connected to each other and the server tells the device to download the software. This is how, for instance push email works on Exchange. Whereas, on POP3 email, your email client periodically polls the server and downloads the emails waiting. The latter is pull and it is the same concept YouView uses.
  • bramblebramble Member Posts: 118
    edited 25 February 2013, 6:21PM
    redchiz said:

The update was released on 19 February. The very first sentence of the announcement states: "New software for the YouView Humax box is now available and will be rolled out across all Retail and BT boxes over the next couple of weeks."

redchiz, I agree with you about the clarity of the quoted statement which is similar to the wording on other youview release notifications,

What makes you think the statement has been misunderstood?

Speaking for myself, I thought we were just commenting about the rollout and the fact that the order boxes receive the update has changed between releases.
  • BrbBrb Member Posts: 65
    edited 25 February 2013, 6:24PM
    redchiz said:

We humans like to find patterns to things. It's natural.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    redchiz said:

OK, I give up, it is just a wee bit exasperating that the same questions/answers/debate repeats itself after every single update announcement, when it has all been said before. The pattern to the rollout? Clearly, there isn't one. How can there be when the user base will be different on every occasion?
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 15 July 2013, 6:42PM
    keep rollin rollin rollin rollin
  • Alan WalkerAlan Walker Member Posts: 41
    edited 9 March 2015, 7:43AM
    Mine is just updating the new software (Mon 25th Feb).....26% complete so far....I'll check on the recorded delete confirmation when fully downloaded...as I have deleted one programme on my recorded list by mistake last week :( ....so looking forward to have a 'confirmation' to delete a recording back again :)
    Box is now restarting............
  • Alan WalkerAlan Walker Member Posts: 41
    edited 25 February 2013, 6:57PM
    "Delete Recordings Confirmation" is now on the Device management list (after the new software update today) & I have now turned it 'ON' ....so no more accidental deletions of my recordings now (hopefully) :D
  • Matt FMatt F Member Posts: 204
    edited 25 February 2013, 6:57PM

I was one of the original triallists and usually receive the software updates as soon as they're available.
    Not this time though.
    Even if I attempt a manual update, the screen says that I have the most up to date software (the January 8th one).

Me too. We just are no longer at the front of the queue! Still not got mine now. I don't mind at all.. :)
  • SW1SW1 Member Posts: 240
    edited 25 February 2013, 7:23PM
    al said:

Being a triallist does not appear to mean you will get the updates first.
  • NickNick Member Posts: 594
    edited 9 March 2015, 7:43AM

Mine is just updating the new software (Mon 25th Feb).....26% complete so far....I'll check on the recorded delete confirmation when fully downloaded...as I have deleted one programme on my recorded list by mistake last week :( ....so looking forward to have a 'confirmation' to delete a recording back again :)
    Box is now restarting............

Manually checked for s/w update and 10.4 was detected and downloaded. My box is a retail Humax YV bought from Tesco direct so I'm assuming that Talk talk and BT boxes may take longer. Just hang in there guys -the rollout is happening exactly as they said :)
  • joe0543joe0543 Member Posts: 2
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:45PM
    joe0543 said:

Hi
    Does this update solve the sound problem,If not, when are they going to sort this out. I am sick of reaching for the volume button.some times I think I am going deaf and other times the sound wakes the neighbours if I do not turn it down fast enough This seems to be more of a problem on HD, and when playing back recorded programmes, My TV sound is now set at 70,(was 25) to allow a reasonable sound level through the youview box which can be anything from 10 upto 65 depending on what I am watching. I have to ask myself is this box (HUMAX) fit for purpose, sometimes I feel like binning it, Apart from the sound problem, alls well, I can put up with the other small problems,
    Advise please
    Joe

Hi
    Tried that and it does what you said,But I do not want to have to reach for another handset if I need to adjust the sound,as this action diables the sound toggle on the youview handsey,One thing I forgot to mention is that I can start watching a programme with the sound level at around 10-15 and by the time I am half way through I have had to turn the sound upto 40-50 depending on the programme I am watching
  • Geraint MorrisGeraint Morris Member Posts: 772
    edited 25 February 2013, 8:54PM
    joe0543 said:

Hi
    Does this update solve the sound problem,If not, when are they going to sort this out. I am sick of reaching for the volume button.some times I think I am going deaf and other times the sound wakes the neighbours if I do not turn it down fast enough This seems to be more of a problem on HD, and when playing back recorded programmes, My TV sound is now set at 70,(was 25) to allow a reasonable sound level through the youview box which can be anything from 10 upto 65 depending on what I am watching. I have to ask myself is this box (HUMAX) fit for purpose, sometimes I feel like binning it, Apart from the sound problem, alls well, I can put up with the other small problems,
    Advise please
    Joe

You can programme the YV remote to operate your TV volume, then all you have to do is press "TV" and then you can change it