Failure to reset aspect ratio

BawmerBawmer Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
My Humax box, connected by HDMI to a Sony Bravia, outputs an acceptable 12:9 picture for 4:3 broadcasts. However when returning to a 12:9 broadcast the screen format does not switch and can only be cleared by a power cycle of the box.

Is this a known problem or possibly an issue with the TV?

Comments

• gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 25 February 2013, 10:07AM
    Rather than power-cycling the Youview box have you tried toggling through the different Aspect Ratios on the TV set when this happens? Or switching the Source on the TV away from then back to the Youview box to force it to handshake again?
  • BawmerBawmer Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited 6 July 2013, 3:55PM
    I have but its the output from the YouView box that remains incorrect.
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    TBH I am confused by you saying your Humax box outputs 4:3 material as 12:9. That makes it different from everyone else Humax (or Huwei) box which outputs 4:3 material as 4:3 and the user needs to fiddle with their TV settings if they want it to be stretched.
  • BoDBoD Member Posts: 69
    edited 25 February 2013, 6:25PM
    It's your TV. The YV box outputs everything in 16:9 but 4:3 material is shown correctly inside the 16:9.

The TV identifies the 4:3 material inside this and because you have your TV settings set to AUTO it screws it up.

I turn off AUTO aspect ratio on my Sony Bravia because I like to see the image as it was meant to be.
    Not sure what model you have but the setting is in:
    Internet Video > Settings > Display > Screen > Auto Format > OFF
    Thanks BoD, the autoformat was indeed set to on. I've set it off and will see how it goes.
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 March 2017, 2:28PM
    Recently the BBC showed a 16:9 show squeezed into a 4:3 picture in a 16:9 frame.

I had to use another receiver to "centre cut out" the 4:3 picture and set the TV to stretch it back out to 16:9.

You wouldn't be able to do this on the Youview box!
    edited 25 February 2013, 3:57PM
    al said:

Recently the BBC showed a 16:9 show squeezed into a 4:3 picture in a 16:9 frame.

I had to use another receiver to "centre cut out" the 4:3 picture and set the TV to stretch it back out to 16:9.

Quite right too. It should be down to the display device to allow you to manipulate the image.
    edited 8 December 2016, 12:01PM
    al said:

Maybe the display should be able to manipulate the image if it doesn't match the display (ie a 16:9 tv and a 4:3 image) but why would a 16:9 tv need to alter a 16:9 image?
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 December 2016, 1:57PM
    al said:

It wouldn't, why do you ask?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    gomez said:

TBH I am confused by you saying your Humax box outputs 4:3 material as 12:9. That makes it different from everyone else Humax (or Huwei) box which outputs 4:3 material as 4:3 and the user needs to fiddle with their TV settings if they want it to be stretched.

12:9 is 4:3.

Type 12/9 in here, and see how it works (Simplifying Fractions):-

http://www.basic-mathematics.com/redu...

Calling it 12:9 better allows you to compare it with 16:9, and you can readily then see that 12/16, or 3/4, of the screen is used in this mode, and also that the black bars either side must be 2:9 - ( (16 -12) / 2 ) : 9
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 26 February 2013, 12:29AM
    gomez said:

Thanks Roy, I hadn't registered that 12:9 is 4:3, but I'm not sure I need the Simplifying Fractions site to do the maths for me. lol!
  • MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 26 February 2013, 12:35AM
    gomez said:

actually 1.33:1 is 4:3 ;p just wanted to join in
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 8:38AM
    gomez said:

And 16:9 is 5.33:3; another, if less clear, way of comparing it with 4:3...
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 26 February 2013, 12:50AM
    gomez said:

This thread is in danger of getting as exciting as the "MyView and On Demand remote control codes" one.
    al said:

You have to read the words before the question to understand the context.
    al said:

OK, I give up, could you rephrase please?
    al said:

Erm. The preceding text enlightens the reader to the subsequent query?
    al said:

j/k I suggested a way to distort a 16:9 picture using a different stb and BoD said it should be done on the display. I see little reason for a display to do this, and I think you do to.
    al said:

Oh, I see (I think). Personally, I see no need for a display to do anything, other than to, erm, display. Any more than a receiver should do other than receive. But for those who want the ability to tweak, where would you see as the best place for such functionality to reside?
    al said:

If the YV had an "non scaling output" HD would be output in 1080, SD would be output in 576 and all aspect ratios would be correct and all tvs could distort the 4:3 images for those who want it (Which, to be fair, seems like quite a lot of people).

The YV box would need a "centre cut out" option for when the BBC channels broadcast 4:3 in a 16:9 frame.

And then all this will affect the picture quality (especially on poor quality TVs that will now have to upscale themselves) but I don't think quality is the issue here.
    edited 26 February 2013, 7:37PM
    gomez said:

16:9 is 1.78
    edited 26 February 2013, 7:41PM
    al said:

Over HDMI the YV outputs in 720 or 1080 which are both native 16:9. The YV box receives the broadcast as 576 and places in the middle of the frame. No scaling is done.
    al said:

So, when watching SD in 1080 you get black borders top and bottom? I don't.
  • Lbear1Lbear1 Member Posts: 741
    edited 27 February 2013, 5:35PM
    I hate to say this but your box is behaving exactly as designed. 12:9 is normally referred to as 4:3 (divide both sides by 3) - the old "square" format television. Widescreen is 16:9 so are you seeing older programming with black bars at the side?

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam on a number of forums besides this with views fairly evenly divided between those who want their panel filled by the image by distorting it and those who wish to see an undistorted picture as the makers intended.

The only way you can change the aspect ratio of these broadcasts is by using the television's image controls. Not all are enabled to do a "centre cut out" or other picture distortions which is what is needed to fill the screen.

My advice is do not watch a distorted image - it rather misses the point of digital TV!!. Set your TV aspect ratio to "16:9" or, better "Full". The latter will avoid the slight cropping you get with iPlayer and HD programming.
    I now realise that my original post was far from clear.

I have no problem with 4:3 (12:9) broadcasts and am happy to view them as intended. However my set up is failing to restore to a proper 16:9 format when returning to 16:9 broadcasts and seems only to be solved by a Yv reset even though everything points to a tv nuance.

I think we have wandered so far off piste that I'll let it go at that.

Thanks for the efforts.
    edited 27 February 2013, 8:04PM
    al said:

No - you should only get vertical black borders for 4:3 576i material.
    edited 27 February 2013, 8:08PM
    Bawmer said:

I now realise that my original post was far from clear.

I have no problem with 4:3 (12:9) broadcasts and am happy to view them as intended. However my set up is failing to restore to a proper 16:9 format when returning to 16:9 broadcasts and seems only to be solved by a Yv reset even though everything points to a tv nuance.

I think we have wandered so far off piste that I'll let it go at that.

Thanks for the efforts.

Ok - that's your TV doing that. What makemodel do you have. I solved this in another thread as someone had a Sony, as do I.