Cannot access On Demad or use Catch Up. YVM104 error!

Comments

• MadcottoMadcotto Member Posts: 580 ✭✭
    edited 2 March 2013, 11:31PM
    Roy1 said:

Leespeedy

I can tell you aren't in business then :-)

There's no mileage for YouView or Humax in publicising these issues; it will kill everyone's investment stone dead faster than Gerald Ratner making an after-dinner speech.

If there was a fix, then maybe publicity for a product recall to apply the fix would be not too damaging as a PR move. But there is no fix, yet, so an announcement would be commercial suicide. And anyway, if there was a fix, it can be quietly rolled out in a remote update (ever wondered why YV won't list what an update contains?)

And nobody dies if a YV box fails, except maybe a husband who has promised his wife one too many times that this time, it really, really will record East Enders.

So the ads show Noddy gliding smoothly past the Houses of Parliament, and nobody talks about the reality of lost or short measure tunings, failed recordings and bricked boxes that is the lot of a small but significant minority of YV users.

But YV was always going to offer a hostage to fortune, by just licensing its software to box makers, and not taking responsibility for the boxes, or even QCing them, beyond initial samples.

And the same is true for the box makers; here's Humax, a very well respected maker of some of the top PVRs, and the YV branded box is functionally like a five or ten year throwback, and electrically as reliable as a 1970s Leyland car.

How did that happen?

OATK >>>looks puzzled<<<
  • lee5p33dylee5p33dy Member Posts: 7
    edited 3 March 2013, 12:13AM
    Roy1 said:

Leespeedy

There's no mileage for YouView or Humax in publicising these issues; it will kill everyone's investment stone dead faster than Gerald Ratner making an after-dinner speech.

If there was a fix, then maybe publicity for a product recall to apply the fix would be not too damaging as a PR move. But there is no fix, yet, so an announcement would be commercial suicide. And anyway, if there was a fix, it can be quietly rolled out in a remote update (ever wondered why YV won't list what an update contains?)

And nobody dies if a YV box fails, except maybe a husband who has promised his wife one too many times that this time, it really, really will record East Enders.

So the ads show Noddy gliding smoothly past the Houses of Parliament, and nobody talks about the reality of lost or short measure tunings, failed recordings and bricked boxes that is the lot of a small but significant minority of YV users.

But YV was always going to offer a hostage to fortune, by just licensing its software to box makers, and not taking responsibility for the boxes, or even QCing them, beyond initial samples.

And the same is true for the box makers; here's Humax, a very well respected maker of some of the top PVRs, and the YV branded box is functionally like a five or ten year throwback, and electrically as reliable as a 1970s Leyland car.

How did that happen?

Roy

You are correct, I am not in business - I have always thought that my morals would "get in the way". I do however still believe that consumers are first and foremost human beings and that in the long run companies that treat them with respect will prosper, and those that use the "mushroom technique" will not (i.e keep them in the dark and feed them bull****). You are right to say that no one died because of a bricked youview box, but I did work a forty hour week at a low paid job to pay for one, and it is now useless.

The current approach that youview and Humax are taking is working for them at the moment because the number of bricked boxes is small. But if it is a known issue it could grow to affect more customers and then the press will get hold of the story. It is then that the "hide it under the carpet" approach backfires.
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    Any individual who has issues with a piece of kit which does not live up to expectations is likely to be exasperated, I can sympathise with that.

But to then assume that your experience is typical, or widespread? Why?
    edited 26 September 2013, 7:33AM
    redchiz

There are a few main reasons I think the issue is widespread (I don't think the issue is "typical"). Firstly the person I spoke to at Youview said it was a known issue and that there was a procedure for dealing with bricked boxes. The operative asked me to check version numbers on the software update and then said that in my case I would need to contact Humax as that was the procedure for customers with bricked boxes and version 9.5.0 of the software. To me this all suggests that we aren't talking about a small handful of cases. Secondly I have read various accounts of customers who have had bricked boxes including one customer who's replacement box also bricked. Two bricked boxes for the same customer? Sounds like youview have more bricks than lego.......

I also think that using "doesn't live up to expectations" as a euphemism for "is a useless broken brick" is a bit strange.
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 3 March 2013, 9:50AM
    lee - there's a good chance you can get a refund for your box, rather than just a replacement. As you say, YouView has multiple issues in addition to its tendency to fail. It's just overall pretty unreliable.

These problems are known about. Take your dead box back to the retailer you bought it from, and tell them you're asking for a full refund because the box is not fit for purpose. You won't be the first YouView owner who has returned a box.

I largely agree with your comments about the YouView consortium having no pride in its product and no self-respect. That's what happens I guess when a committee tries to design a technology product, especially when they have an agenda and big egos.

If you bought YouView mainly for access to the On-Demand content, you might want to have a look at a Smart TV (Samsung or Panasonic). These TVs have iPlayer and other TV catchup players, plus NetFlix, Love Film, etc, and although they also have some problems it's not on the same scale as the YouView problems. You can also get access to the Samsung On-Demand content with some of their Blu-Ray players. There's no reliable recording facility, so to get that, you have to buy a separate PVR.

Good luck.
  • edited 3 March 2013, 10:00AM
    lee5p33dy said:

redchiz

There are a few main reasons I think the issue is widespread (I don't think the issue is "typical"). Firstly the person I spoke to at Youview said it was a known issue and that there was a procedure for dealing with bricked boxes. The operative asked me to check version numbers on the software update and then said that in my case I would need to contact Humax as that was the procedure for customers with bricked boxes and version 9.5.0 of the software. To me this all suggests that we aren't talking about a small handful of cases. Secondly I have read various accounts of customers who have had bricked boxes including one customer who's replacement box also bricked. Two bricked boxes for the same customer? Sounds like youview have more bricks than lego.......

I also think that using "doesn't live up to expectations" as a euphemism for "is a useless broken brick" is a bit strange.

Firstly the person I spoke to at Youview said it was a known issue and that there was a procedure for dealing with bricked boxes.

There's been a procedure for dealing with/replacing bricked boxes since they went on sale last July, just as there's a procedure for dealing with faulty units of all products from all responsible manufacturers.

To suggest that having a procedure to deal with all problems means any one issue is "widespread" is, IMO, a little fanciful.
    edited 3 March 2013, 12:06PM
    Martin

To be fair I wasn't the person who introduced the word "widespread" into the discussion. "widespread" is a subjective term, one man's widespread problem is another man's "small number of issues". When redchiz asked why I thought the problem was "widespread" just because I had experienced the problem myself - I took this to mean "a problem which a significant number of others are experiencing". Again "significant number" is also subjective.

So in short if you think that the use of the term "widespread" is fanciful then I am happy to use "exists in significant numbers to warrant more attention".

It is worth noting that in the absence of more information from Youview and Humax we have to GUESS how widespread the problem is. Therefore at this stage the issue may be widespread or not - we simply don't know.

What we do know is that the problem exists, it is affecting a certain number of people, and the more transparent support they are given from Youview and Humax the better.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2016, 7:38AM
    Roy1 said:

Leespeedy

How did that happen?

You are absolutely right in every respect. It just isn't how the world works :-(

But what is also true is that you are entitled to a replacement box, or to your money back if you want it. Where did you obtain it from? Call them, and arrange for a refund or a replacement, depending on your wishes. All YV boxes are still new enough to be under guarantee, and retailers must know how many of them fail, so I would not expect any quibbles.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    Roy1 said:

Leespeedy

How did that happen?

OATK - one a**e to kick. But with YouView, I count seven, possibly eight, and more to come :-(
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 4:49PM
    Tried to access the ondemand services today. First time since the last upgrade. Unable to access any of the on demand apps just message YVM104
  • [removed][removed] Member Posts: 282
    edited 27 March 2013, 4:49PM
    Just switched it off at back for 30 secs and switched back on. Everything is working again. Now if only I could remember what I wanted to see from ondemand
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017, 2:05PM
    lee5p33dy: When redchiz asked why I thought the problem was "widespread" just because I had experienced the problem myself...
    Blimey, shows how things can get out of hand and confused on here! I never asked "you" or anybody else individually, or personally, I was making a generic observation.

As you where.
  • Alan WalkerAlan Walker Member Posts: 41
    edited 5 March 2013, 6:23PM
    I'm having the same problem today...try to access the on-demand (BBC iplayer) to watch last nights MAYDAY before tonights showing...but comes up with that "YVM104 error" :( on all the on-demands.
  • TanjaTanja Member Posts: 251
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:34AM
    Hi Alan. we are sorry to hear you are having this issue. Have you tried restarting the box as Andy has suggested above?
  • Lawrence YatesLawrence Yates Member Posts: 5
    edited 5 March 2013, 6:36PM
    I've got the same - YVM104
  • Alan WalkerAlan Walker Member Posts: 41
    edited 5 March 2013, 7:11PM
    Thanks for your reply Tanya, Yes I did do one reboot...ie switch off at the back of the box....didn't work. :( Just tried once more (ie switch off at the back & leave for a couple of minutes) & now it works :) Strange a few people are having this problem today (A friend of mine says he's got/had the same problem as me today....I've told him what to do & now it's working now).
    edited 6 March 2013, 12:30PM
    redchiz said:

lee5p33dy: When redchiz asked why I thought the problem was "widespread" just because I had experienced the problem myself...
    Blimey, shows how things can get out of hand and confused on here! I never asked "you" or anybody else individually, or personally, I was making a generic observation.

As you where. Well that is true, but it seemed that i was the most likely person the comment was aimed at. However, I am happy to rephrase my comment......

When redchiz asked why "some people" thought the problem was widespread...
  • edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    I'm a TalkTalk Huawei box user.
    I get the impression that YVM104 has been much more of a problem for Humax users than Huawei ones.

However we've just had the latest software update - released two days ago.
    I've experienced YVM 104 twice since this upgrade, never had it before.
    A couple of other users also reporting it on the TalkTalk forum.
    Perhaps YouView's attempts to fix this problem have made it worse?

My experience of YVM104 is that it occurs when you select "YouView" and then "On Demand" - in other words this has nothing to do with accessing the internet.
    (The TalkTalk player can be accessed - it has it's own button! - and on demand from this works fine.)
    Box recovers after having been powered down and restarted.
    edited 6 March 2013, 4:34PM
    I had the problem yesterday and once again, switching off the box, waiting then re-starting solved it. Shouldn't really have to do this though.

By the way, could someone tell me what "bricked" means in this context?

Cheers,

Lawrence
  • PPP QQQPPP QQQ Member Posts: 857
    edited 6 March 2013, 4:17PM

I had the problem yesterday and once again, switching off the box, waiting then re-starting solved it. Shouldn't really have to do this though.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Lawrence - "bricked" means it's dead -- i.e., no more use than a brick.
    edited 6 March 2013, 4:33PM
    Good grief :-) is that all? I thought it was some technical term!

Sorry to have bothered you with what, now I know the answer, was a daft question.

Cheers,

Lawrence
  • gomezgomez Member Posts: 2,073 ✭✭
    edited 6 March 2013, 4:34PM

Cheers,

Lawrence

But hopefully with the right tools on the engineer's bench it can be unbricked.
  • TanjaTanja Member Posts: 251
    edited 5 November 2015, 10:34AM
    Hi All,

We are currently experiencing a problem with On demand services, you may see the following errors;
    • When accessing Video On Demand – “YVM104”
    • When accessing Search – “Search isn’t working at the moment.”
    • When accessing ScrollBack – “No programme information.”

Apologies if you are facing any of these issues, we can confirm that restarting your box will resolve this. To restart, switch of the power to your box, wait 30 seconds, then switch it back on.

The YouView Team are investigating this and a fix will be in place shortly.

Additionally, the March 2013 Software update now available will also help to resolve this problem.
  • Baz2Baz2 Member Posts: 4
    edited 19 November 2013, 10:32AM
    Hi everyone, I have now had my box replaced by BT. This is after going through all the resets and "try fixes" that everyone else has been given. When the engineer came it took him just 2 minutes to confirm that the box was at fault. I asked him if this was a common problem and he confirmed it was and that he had replaced many boxes! The problem he said was down to a software fault and that they (Humax) were most probably installing the fix now, but he couldn't confirm that? So I asked him if I might have the problem with the replacement box and he couldn't guarantee everything would be ok. (Still working fine at the moment) For BT customers who had the previous box- BT Vision, like myself and never had any problems, this was because the box was produced specifically for BT whereas the present hardware is bought in from Humax. Stick to your guns and demand a replacement.
  • RobboRobbo Member Posts: 6
    edited 6 March 2013, 9:08PM
    This is a post I did on another YVM104 error thread that is running.
    http://community.youview.com/youview/...

My first youview box lasted 2 weeks before going faulty with YVM104 error, the replacement box has lasted 6 weeks and is now the same. The boxes are unreliable and it is not worth taking up the youview service, mine is with BT who will rush round in 2 weeks to sort it out.
    gwatuk said:

I'm a TalkTalk Huawei box user.
    I get the impression that YVM104 has been much more of a problem for Humax users than Huawei ones.

However we've just had the latest software update - released two days ago.
    I've experienced YVM 104 twice since this upgrade, never had it before.
    A couple of other users also reporting it on the TalkTalk forum.
    Perhaps YouView's attempts to fix this problem have made it worse?

My experience of YVM104 is that it occurs when you select "YouView" and then "On Demand" - in other words this has nothing to do with accessing the internet.
    (The TalkTalk player can be accessed - it has it's own button! - and on demand from this works fine.)
    Box recovers after having been powered down and restarted.

gwatuk said:-

All 'On Demand' programming comes over the internet - where do you think it comes from?

And though you may not actually have chosen a programme yet, I'm sure this is the point at which the box will attempt to go out over the 'net, to check that all the players are indeed available.
    edited 6 March 2017, 9:48PM
    Baz

The BT Vision box was bought in from Philips, much as the Humax is now being bought in from Humax; there's no philosophical difference here. And my first BT Vision box failed in a way that was YVM104 in all but name, had to be replaced, and I lost all my recordings to date as a result.

It might well be, though, that BT wrote the software for the BT Vision box, though my understanding was that Philips did that too.

The problem with the Humax is that the software/hardware combination is not reliable enough, compounded by this error that terminates some boxes (as it did my first YouView Humax) such that only Humax can rescue them. If indeed they can; there is a deafening silence on this point
  • Baz2Baz2 Member Posts: 4
    edited 19 November 2013, 10:32AM
    Roy
    Thanks for that update, guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope I have been given a "Good One" only time will tell it seems.
  • Richard DaviesRichard Davies Member Posts: 3
    edited 6 March 2013, 9:45PM
    Hi,

I've reset my box (lost all recordings) and updated the software. I have even given the box a static IP and created a DMZ zone on the router. Unfortunately, this hasn't help. The problem seems to be getting worse.

I have a TalkTalk YV box. I contacted YouView and they have said they can't help and I need to contact TalkTalk. My problem is that I am no longer with TalkTalk. AAAHHHHH

I'm going to email [email protected] and see if they can help. I'll let you all know the outcome.

Richard
  • Keith WigginsKeith Wiggins Member Posts: 3
    edited 6 March 2013, 9:50PM
    Tanja said:

Hi All,

We are currently experiencing a problem with On demand services, you may see the following errors;
    • When accessing Video On Demand – “YVM104”
    • When accessing Search – “Search isn’t working at the moment.”
    • When accessing ScrollBack – “No programme information.”

Apologies if you are facing any of these issues, we can confirm that restarting your box will resolve this. To restart, switch of the power to your box, wait 30 seconds, then switch it back on.

The YouView Team are investigating this and a fix will be in place shortly.

Additionally, the March 2013 Software update now available will also help to resolve this problem.

Can you confirm - this software update is available for which products (direct supply of Humax etc, BT Humax,Talk Talk boxes) and when?