screen display on playback

Will SnellWill Snell Member Posts: 3
edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM in Archived Posts
Does anybody know how to get programs i have recorded show in full screen on my tv? i only got my box yesterday and so far it works ok, tried recording a program, which recorded fine, but when i play it , it doesn't fill my tv screen, i cant seem to find anywhere to change the display settings to wide screen.

Comments

• CiceroCicero Member Posts: 345
    edited 15 March 2013, 10:01AM
    There isn't a facility to do this in Youview, you have to adjust it via the TV settings if desired.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 March 2017, 10:48PM
    Firstly, what channel did you record, and was the programme broadcast in 16:9 (widescreen) or in the old 4:3 ratio?

YouView will take a 4:3 program and retain the aspect ratio, putting it in the middle of the 16:9 of a widescreen display, with a black bar either side (see my avatar).

Try recording a programme that is in 16:9 (e.g. from any of the HD channels), and see if that is full screen OK.

If not, you have an issue with your box. But if the HD recording is OK, then you probably recorded an old 4:3 programme off Dave or somewhere similar, and that's how YouView shows it.

For an entertaining discussion on the merits and demerits of this, and of the vocal group who would rather see fat wide people driving cars with elliptical wheels and football apparently played with a rugger ball than see black bars, use the Search Topics window to search for 'stretchyvision'.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Will SnellWill Snell Member Posts: 3
    edited 15 March 2013, 12:51PM
    Thank you for your reply's, it was recorded off pick tv, so it may be as you suggested roy, i will try a mian channel and a hd one to see the result off that,
  • Will SnellWill Snell Member Posts: 3
    edited 16 March 2013, 9:36AM
    Thanks guys that was the problem, it played back fine recording from the main channels..
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 26 September 2013, 8:33AM
    Likewise, if you record a film which was made in an aspect ratio wider than 16:9, many channels now show these in their correct format with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.
  • edited 16 March 2013, 1:58PM
    stuart621 said:

Likewise, if you record a film which was made in an aspect ratio wider than 16:9, many channels now show these in their correct format with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Which is very welcome. I loathe films which have been zoomed in to fill the screen.
  • stuart621stuart621 Member Posts: 616
    edited 16 March 2013, 3:17PM
    stuart621 said:

Agreed